screen. Is there a trick to this? As I installed
the screws, the fastener that never pulled out
felt tighter than the rest. Should I start over
and if so, what do I do differently?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Rick

Do not worry they do not have to be 'too' tight.

Not sure which bike you have, but on mine I can keep a finger on the rubber bush just to stop it rotating while the screw bites and expands the bush sufficiently to stop it rotating.

They just need to be tight enough to grip and not be in danger of 'popping out' when wind pressure is on the screen.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rick said:
When I took the OEM screen off, three of
the four rubber fasteners did not pull thru
but stayed in the screen. I put them back
into the base holes before I installed my Clearview
screen. Is there a trick to this? As I installed
the screws, the fastener that never pulled out
felt tighter than the rest. Should I start over
and if so, what do I do differently?
Rick,

I see from your other posts that you have a 650. I've done quite a few screen swaps on mine. I always pull the rubber nuts completely out. Usually they stick in the mounting bracket rather than the screen. A little twist back and forth as you pull should get them out. With the Clearviews, I do not use their supplied mounting bits and pieces - I install the screen using the stock hardware. I push the rubber nuts through the screen, leaving the rubber flange on the outside of the screen as it is supposed to be. I stick the screws into the nuts without tightening them and push on the screws. This makes them go through the holes easier because it helps straighten out any buldge in the rubber nut left from when it was previously tightened. Then, with the rubber nuts and untightend screws (and washers) in place, I position the screen and push on the screws again to force the rubber nuts through the holes in the mounting bracket. Then hand tighten the screws so that the are snug. There is no need to over torque them.

Clearview only supplies the longer screws and plastic spacers because they think folks will not be able to pull the rubber nuts out of the mounting bracket and will have to mount the screen over them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
pauljo said:
I push the rubber nuts through the screen, leaving the rubber flange on the outside of the screen as it is supposed to be. I stick the screws into the nuts without tightening them and push on the screws. This makes them go through the holes easier because it helps straighten out any buldge in the rubber nut left from when it was previously tightened. Then, with the rubber nuts and untightend screws (and washers) in place, I position the screen and push on the screws again to force the rubber nuts through the holes in the mounting bracket.
Make a solution of water and a little dish washing soap and apply it to the rubber nuts before pushing them back through the mounting bracket. (This solution will also help you get the nuts back onto the windscreen.)

Also, you will not be able to tighten the rubber nut with the screw if you do not engage the threaded brass insert inside the rubber nut just a turn or so before you mount the windshield back onto the bracket.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
DonRich90 said:
I used Clearview's hardware and instructions. The installation was very easy and, after about 700 miles, the shield is still secure. :D
Don
It works. I did it once. But I see no need to do it that way, and I found keeping those little plastic spacers positioned while mounting the screen was a pain in the neck (unless you leave their protective screen film in place). I've had enough practice so I can swap a screen using the conventional method in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I may just
leave well enough alone. The screen seems secure
to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts