Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS mounted on my Burgman 650. This particular GPS is made for motorcycles. It is waterproof, plays mp3s, is bluetooth enabled, provides an accurate reading of my speed, and of course gives me step-by-step guidance to get me to and from where I want to go.

My Zumo stopped working the other day. The screen was lit, but I was unable to program where I wanted to go, or see the map display. They are very expensive, so I was quite upset. Additionally, this particular model has been discontinued, so I anticipated problems in getting it repaired.

I searched the Internet and found that the display screen on a Garmin Zumo 450 and 550 can stop working after a few years. The solution is to buy a new touch screen and digitizer and replace them myself. A new touch screen with digitizer only costs $30 or so on eBay. The easy-to-follow instructions (with photos) are shown here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528905

I wanted to pass this info on to others who might own a Garmin Zumo 450 or 550 GPS. They might want to order a touch screen with digitizer just in case their GPS stops working. Hopefully this won't happen, but it's good to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
really nice tip, thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the same Garmin GPS. It has been on many different bikes of mine and has never let me down in 7 years of ownership. I find the Zumo 550 a better motorcycle GPS than their new models because the 550 has those nice rubber side buttons.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Garmin have fixed "repair" prices on their website, so you can buy a comparable replacement unit for a fair price.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

Repair rate $150

• Prices include complete factory overhaul to new required specifications and domestic ground shipment back to you.
  • Service policy and flat repair rates are subject to change without notice.
  • Rates are shown in U.S. dollars and apply to service in the U.S. only. If outside of the U.S., contact your local Garmin office for repair costs.
  • For models not in the list above, call Product Support for service availability.
  • We reserve the right to make changes or improvements in our products from time to time without incurring the obligation to install such improvements or changes on equipment or items previously manufactured.
  • We retain the exclusive right to either repair or replace the product with a “newly-overhauled” (NOH) device or new device, or offer a full refund of the flat rate of repair at its sole discretion. The same policy shall apply to software.
  • We are obligated to charge sales tax in any state where we maintain a branch or office. Currently, we are required to collect sales tax in AZ, CA, FL, IL, KS, MO, NM, OK, TX and WA. For these states, sales tax is charged on total merchandise plus shipping charges.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts