Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was cleaning the windshield and things were going good. I was looking at Putterbug with a smile on my face and then it happened. My smile was turned upside down in a millisecond. My watch scratched the shield. And when I realize it was scratching it up, I jerked my arm quickly up and yep, the scratch is all the way up the windshield now. :cry:
(shakes fits at murphy's law!! :evil: )

Anyhow, isn't there some sort of polisher that takes scratches out of plastic? I've tried to use the search up top however I have not have very much success using the search option.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill! I swear I typed in everything I could think of in the search box with no luck. Maybe I'm just tired and did something wrong. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Umm ... I did something tricky. I used the search term 'Scratch'. :p

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billmeek said:
Umm ... I did something tricky. I used the search term 'Scratch'. :p
:notworthy:

Okay now.....maybe I spelled it wrong. I don't know. Geez, I just colored my hair red, so I know there aren't any blonde roots showing. LOL

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'd guess frustration (with scratching the shield) is the culprit. Sounds like a good excuse for spelling errors to me. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There is a good tip here though. Remove jewelry from hands and wrists before cleaning scooter...

Could be worse. A guy on one of my pipe forums decided to shine up one of his favorite pipes on a buffing wheel in his garage. He was then able to tell us that a buffing wheel running at 3800 rpm is powerful enough to fling a pipe right through a garage wall and imbed it in a tree! :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Here's a thought : a 'damaged' windshield .... needs to be replaced. Maybe with a Givi or Clearview (when available)? :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scratch on shield

Shortly after aquiring my 03 Burg I did the same thing ---- word to the wise the shield has a coating on it and I managed to polish thru the coating with plexiglass cleaner this left a noticable spot (distortion) be very careful what you use.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't know about your neck of the woods but around here you can't keep a car windshield from stone damage let alone a a bike shield, so a little scratch means very little.
Wait till those stones starting hitting the plastic parts. :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't care about scratches on the windshield since you look over it anyway. What is a problem is how quickly & badly the faceshields become scratched.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Pinwheel, if worse comes to worse, maybe you can buy an OEM shield from someone who has changed thiers for a Givi. I did that after tinkering with mine trying to make a version of a Laminar Lip. Was so sure It would work I drilled holes in the top and after taking the "lip" off couldn't stand the looks of the holes.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Nancy, Gruntled and others. I have used a product for some time called Meguiars Plastx . Its a clear plastic cleaner and polisher.Meguiars Plastx

I just finished touching up my windscreen 2 nights ago and it looks almost brand new. You know how after a season of riding they get sand blasted from regular riding. Well this product does a great job in restoring your screen or your helmet visor. Heck I've even used it on the plastic lenses of my glasses. For around $5 I definetely suggest you give it a try. You should be able to find it at Walmart or somewhere similar.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try the Meguiars this weekend. Maybe next week. Since I see over the windshield, it wasn't a big deal today. However it just looks bad. :?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
They have quite a few products so you have to be sure it's for clear plastic windows. I didn't see the one you mentioned but I got one called Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner. The price ($6.99) was more than listed in your post but their shipping charge ($5.50) more than makes up the difference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Whew!! After seeing the thread title and author I was afraid to click on it and find out that Putterbug either fell, hit something (well, there was the cat), or the cat clawed it in its final act of revenge. You've got good help going on here, and I know it's the first, but it's only cosmetic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
allwalk said:
Nancy, Gruntled and others. I have used a product for some time called Meguiars Plastx . Its a clear plastic cleaner and polisher.Meguiars Plastx
I bought a 10 oz bottle of Plastx ($6.95 at Kragen Auto parts here locally in S. CA) and tried it on a somewhat scratched face shield. It worked very well on everything but a couple of the deepest scratches.
Don't need it for my windshield yet, but glad to have the product on hand
for that day. :(
I assume Plastx would also work well on the clear headlight covers!?
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alan said:
Whew!! After seeing the thread title and author I was afraid to click on it and find out that Putterbug either fell, hit something (well, there was the cat), or the cat clawed it in its final act of revenge. You've got good help going on here, and I know it's the first, but it's only cosmetic.
Sorry, didn't mean to send you into panic mode. LOL
That darn cat, I look for it everytime I go by there. I hit that sucker dead center, I will be surprised if I ever see it again.

Billy said no on the new windshield because I bought a new jacket last weekend. He's such a party pooper.

Now, he is done riding it. He went around the block and almost dumped it. Said it is too hard for him to go from a standard shift to automatic.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Pinwheel said:
Billy said no on the new windshield because I bought a new jacket last weekend. He's such a party pooper.
Has he got another motorcycle you can sell to finance 'upgrades' for Putterbug? :lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Pinwheel said:
Now, he is done riding it. He went around the block and almost dumped it. Said it is too hard for him to go from a standard shift to automatic.
HA! That's a good one! :D (He really thought he felt an estrogen surge. :shock: )

Sorry, Billy. I couldn't hep it. :lol:

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts