Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for the very first time, I scraped something while leaning into a turn with Sylvester. This is close to a 180 degree U-curve that I've taken many times, but this is the first time I actually scraped. I looked on the underside to see what it might have been, but couldn't see anything. (but the plastic underneath was already "pre-scraped" from an encounter with a curb last week :oops: ). Maybe the center stand? Has anybody scraped in a turn? Obviously, I leaned 'im over a tad too far... I think maybe I may have been leaning the bike, but not the rest of me. Since I've been back in the saddle after my surgery, I've noticed that I am trying to keep myself more upright, even though I'm leaning the bike going into a curve/turn. That makes the bike lean over more, doesn't it? What did I scrape?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Diane, If it was a left turn, take a look at the side stand foot, there may be scrape evidence on the foreward part of the foot. It's kinda hair raising thing to happen isn't it? Neal

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
It was the centerstand. A little scraping isn't a bad thing.... it's when you hit the centerstand hard enough to slam it into the bike ya need to back off. :D

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eltee said:
Diane, If it was a left turn, take a look at the side stand foot, there may be scrape evidence on the foreward part of the foot. It's kinda hair raising thing to happen isn't it? Neal
It was a lefty... and yes, scared the bejeezus outta me! :eek: ... After 6500 miles on my Syl, I didn't expect it at all, as it never has before. Then again, always a first time for everything! Glad it was just a grazing scrape, nothing to cause any loss of control or anything... Just a bit of a surprise!
It looks like it might have been the center stand... a tiny bit of abrasion there... Cant tell anything for sure on the side stand...
Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
250 Posts
You are correct that the less you lean, the more the bike has to go over. It is really about getting your weight to the right or left of center, so maybe there's a way to adjust how you shift weight without straining your injuries?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You may need to lubricate the center stand hinge points. If you don't think you took that curve faster than before, the scraping could be because the center stand didn't get all the way back up. Even if it wasn't the center stand, it won't hurt to lubricate it after 6500 miles.

Dave B.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If you're going to ride aggressive, you might want to adjust the pre-load up a bit. It'll help keep you from dragging the centerstand as much. ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Accelerating coming out of a turn/curve will also raise the height of the bike.

Had just put low-boy driver boards on my GW and on a group ride leaned it hard on a level left turn. Guy behind me said that would have looked nice at night - sparks flying from the rub knob on the underside of the board.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
billmeek said:
If you're going to ride aggressive, you might want to adjust the pre-load up a bit. It'll help keep you from dragging the centerstand as much. ;)
Aggressive? who? lil' ol' me? :lol:
Hubby was following behind in the cage, says I took it a little tight - I have been monkeying with the suspension knob a bit too, trying to smooth the ride out a bit...
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
It was most definetely the center stand. Mine on the 650 doesnt return all the way up on its own if I havent lubed it for some time. I make it a point to lean down and give it a tug up before I pull away.
So lube that center stand and go one click more on the rear suspension. Pretty soon you will get to the point where you will need to get riding pants with knee pucks so you can drag your knee. Then Hubby won't even be able to keep up to you in the corners :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Yes ... you Diane ... Making poor Sylvester screech thru the Catskills no doubt. :lol:

A low preload may provide a softer ride at slower speed, but at freeway speeds it feels too loose for me and will let the centerstand drag much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts