Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my weestrom a few weeks ago and got my self a 2009 650 ex which I thoroughly am enjoying. But every time i'm pushing thru a turn i'm scraping hard parts. What am I scraping?? And can I get more clearance??. This never happened with the weestrom.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A couple of guesses. I have a 2012 exe and I an a very aggressive rider. Never scraped anything. First guess, center stand not retracting all the way up, second it may have been lowered by previous owner or smaller than OEM tires are on it.
Put it on the side stand an day down and look under the bike for scrape marks. Then you can figure what to do. Also check the calipers,could bee loose and causing the pas to make noise.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
While I do scrape the sides at times I have to be riding very aggressively to do so. On down hill corners I can scrub the front leg tupperware but most times I drag the center stands FOOT. It has a 45 degree cut fro the factory but am sure that mine is shorter than most other Burgman riders.

I would question the last owner to see if it was lowered. You can move the fork tubes up in the triple tree clamps about 1/4 inch without doing any mods to the top tupperware. Pulling the fork springs steel spacer out and putting a shorter one will also drop the front, at the loss of fork travel, NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! Putting like a 155/60 14 car tire on the rear will lower it some too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scoot is stock less than 2,000m on tires doubt suspension has been changed. Checked and am scraping center stand on both sides, more on the left. I changed the shock setting to 4 will see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
It's pretty easy to scrape the center stand especially if you are not shifting your body weight like you would when you drop a knee on a regular bike. Without a tank in front of you the tendency is not to shift your body weight inside. I ground the feet on my center stand down pretty good before I learned to do that.

I also run the shocks on 5 all the time now to get as much ground clearance as I can. As near as I can tell it doesn't make the ride any harsher, just raises the back of the bike up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
More often than not, I see riders of all bikes that sit upright or actually lean the opposite of where the bike is turning. Doing so makes you have to lean the bike even more to make the turn.

Shifting your body weight, countersteering, even turning your head looking where you're going all helps. The bike doesn't have to lean as far and it feels pretty good knowing how easy it is to take curves/corners at a speed thats greater than you're used to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sold my weestrom a few weeks ago and got my self a 2009 650 ex which I thoroughly am enjoying. But every time i'm pushing thru a turn i'm scraping hard parts. What am I scraping?? And can I get more clearance??. This never happened with the weestrom.
Quick question please. Which do you prefer, the Burgman or the Strom.

Geoff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One view too on Strom. I have a 650 Strom and it has always been an amazing bike for me. Don't ride it as much but plan to start again. They are a great value if you buy used and I have seen stories of them going 200,000 miles. I was riding it also for errands but now do that with a Burg 400. Many people ride the Strom off road but I don't see the need for that. I think it shines on 2 lane highways, like the Burgman. Gets good mileage and runs on regular grade fuel. The new generation Strom has ABS and is a bit more expensive, maybe some improvements, I don't know. Like the Burgman, most riders cant ride it to its full potential.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode my weestrom for 45,000 miles After seat mod, mirror mod, peg mod, handlebar mod and windshield mod I was sure it was the best I had ever owned. Bought the burgman and after riding 60 miles to get home wondered why I didn't get it sooner. Much more comfy, less vibes and much better wind management.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I mentioned doing a track day on my 650 to the local Suzuki shop. The tech there said I would scrape the plastic if I did. Can that be true?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If you push past the point that the center stand drags the next thing to touch down is the plastic right underneath where the floorboards turn up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dragging the center stand is not like dragging a peg. Wouldn't dragging the ctr stand hard lift the rear wheel???

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
dragging the center stand is not like dragging a peg. Wouldn't dragging the ctr stand hard lift the rear wheel???
It is forgiving to a small degree. You can scrape it and it should be a warning sound that it is about ready to unload the rear tire and to back off.

When a pickup truck pulled out infront of me, I jacked my rear tire up off the pavement in a panic turn and lowsided, followed by the rear tire grabbing traction while sliding sideways causing me to Highside into the fender of the pickup truck.... and then the Burgman slammed into me pinning me to the fender and breaking all my ribs on the right side.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The center stand hangs down just a little and it can move up a bit before it gets to the hard point and starts lifting the rear wheel. Before it does that you will likely hear the plastic grinding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know

On my 125 (a Sym, not a Burg), I regularly got long scrapes in the corners. That bike would do anything you asked... except go fast :p

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you push past the point that the center stand drags the next thing to touch down is the plastic right underneath where the floorboards turn up.
So I can't lean it as much as I would a motorcycle. Is that correct? If so I may cancel my planned North Carolina ride which included a trip to the Dragon.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
So I can't lean it as much as I would a motorcycle. Is that correct? If so I may cancel my planned North Carolina ride which included a trip to the Dragon.
Depends on what motorcycle you are talking about. You can lean it further than a lot of the cruiser type bikes but not as far as most sport bikes. In general lean angle is not much of a limiting factor on the 650. You can get it far enough over to not have any chicken stripes on the tires if you are inclined to.

As for the Dragon, I've done it twice on my 650. You can do it at well above the posted speed limit without ever scraping the center stand. Take a look at the attached picture. It was taken on the Dragon as a group of 4 of us went into a corner. You can tell by the lean angle of the front rider that leaning is not a problem. She was not even scraping the center stand. Notice also how she has her body and weight shifted to the inside to help get around the corner without dragging anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You didn't insert a 'smile,' 'wink,' or 'roll-eyes' smiley after your statement. So I'm going to assume you are 'funnin with us.

Or, is there some kind of sign at The Dragon that states 'You must be able to lean this far to ride The Dragon'? ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gary Nixon (famous motorcycle racer) once said that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, rather than ride a fast bike slow.

Every bike is a compromise of some kind, but when push comes to shove the rider is really the deciding factor - both their ability and their willingness to push the pace on a public road. So, go to the Dragon, put the Burgman in Power mode, and adopt a point and shoot approach to the corners. If you get passed, laugh about it and enjoy your ride. Excessive pride usually leads to a contribution to the Tree of Shame. There always someone who's faster, unless your last name is Marquez.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts