Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It had rained while I was in the bar so I come out to a wet seat and attempt to dry it best I could... But I still ended up with wet pants.

Has anyone tried Scotchgard or other water protectant on the stock seats?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
That will do you no good. The vinyl is a really good quality and water will not damage it, at least not from a few hours of rain. The real damage comes from continuous sunlight. For that I recommend a protective cover. I offer one version and there is the Cool Ass that is made to protect from the sun.

As far as water is concerned, the seams are fused together and are waterproof.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I use Armorall regularly. My bike is outside in the sum most days and it still looks good after 8 years. But a cover would be better.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Careful with the ArmorAll.... that stuff can be slick, and you really don't want to be sliding around on your bike's seat when cornering.

With some products of that sort, I've had to go back over the cleaned areas with Windex (it's what I had on hand) to get the slippery residue off, just to make the bike safe to ride....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Careful with the ArmorAll.... that stuff can be slick, and you really don't want to be sliding around on your bike's seat when cornering.

With some products of that sort, I've had to go back over the cleaned areas with Windex (it's what I had on hand) to get the slippery residue off, just to make the bike safe to ride....
+100

Years ago I put ArmorAll on a motorcycle seat. I found that after doing that my seat was so slick that I couldn't ride the bike (my butt was sliding everywhere). Took me a couple of hours to find something that would knock enough of the slick off to ride (don't remember what I used). Never did that again.

One of the guys on the old Pacific Coast mailing list put ArmorAll on his tires to make them look good. He promptly crashed when he tried to ride that bike afterwards. Again, not a good idea.

Doug

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It had rained while I was in the bar so I come out to a wet seat and attempt to dry it best I could... But I still ended up with wet pants.

Has anyone tried Scotchgard or other water protectant on the stock seats?
Oh, double post on my part... Sorry guys...

I carry a small hand towel in my trunk. Dry the seat with the towel if the seat is wet. I would rather have a damp towel tied to my grab rails until it dries than ride on a wet seat. Works good, lasts a long time.

Doug

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Is there any way of restoring the vinyl seat after armor all is put on? My seat is so hard from the previous owner putting it on. It's not too slick but just hard. Any way of getting it soft and supple again?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Oh, double post on my part... Sorry guys...

I carry a small hand towel in my trunk. Dry the seat with the towel if the seat is wet. I would rather have a damp towel tied to my grab rails until it dries than ride on a wet seat. Works good, lasts a long time.

Doug
Seconding the towel/rag suggestion (I do likewise, myself). I've tried to make seatcovers from trash bags and the like, and never came up with a satisfactory solution -- perhaps one of the commercially available ones would work better.

The stock seat vinyl should be waterproof, so if you're gettting soggy pants after drying the seat off there's a leak somewhere.

One problem I've seen is that one's backside forces a butt-shaped depression into the seat, in which rainwater accumulates while riding. So, if your rain pants aren't completely waterproof (not just water-repellent) in that area, water will seep in and soak your clothes. I'd think that one of the bead-type seat covers might help with that, as it might raise one's backside up out of the puddle that forms there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock seat vinyl should be waterproof, so if you're gettting soggy pants after drying the seat off there's a leak somewhere.
I think I know why drying with a towel didn't work for me... The vinyl where your butt touches actually has a bit of a pattern to it.. Not completely smooth. So when I wiped the water off it just dried the surface and not into the grooves of the pattern on the seat. I guess next time it happens I'll have to try a bit harder to get it dry before I sit on it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Seconding the towel/rag suggestion (I do likewise, myself). I've tried to make seatcovers from trash bags and the like, and never came up with a satisfactory solution -- perhaps one of the commercially available ones would work better.

One problem I've seen is that one's backside forces a butt-shaped depression into the seat, in which rainwater accumulates while riding. So, if your rain pants aren't completely waterproof (not just water-repellent) in that area, water will seep in and soak your clothes. I'd think that one of the bead-type seat covers might help with that, as it might raise one's backside up out of the puddle that forms there.
I also carry my beaded seat cover with me as well as the towel. I don't find the beads comfortable for long rides but am glad to have them when it is raining. They keep my butt out of the puddle that forms in the seat. I use my Airhawk R and my Alaska Leathers Sheep Skin for normal riding. Rotate from one to the other when my butt starts hurting. Can ride as long as I want to using this method of rotation.

Doug

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Armor All is a decent product, but it attracts dust. Lemon Pledge makes things shiny (including vinyl) and repels dust. As far as rain on the seat, either it's raining and I'm wearing a rainsuit anyway, or it has stopped and I lift the seat so the water runs off.

On "real" motorcycles, you don't have to worry that much about a slippery seat. You straddle the MC with your legs. On the Burgman, seat friction is a little more important, with the feet-out riding position.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lemon Pledge makes things shiny (including vinyl) and repels dust.
When I was in the Navy, we used Pledge in boot camp. Polish the floors and have them looking great for inspection. Got us on leave.

Not going to use it on my seat, but may on the plastics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used a product called 303 Aerospace Protectorant on mine just last week. I sprayed it on to a cloth and rubbed it onto the vinyl while wearing disposable gloves. I was afraid of the slipperiness like you get with ArmorAll so I just did the sides and back rest. I was surprised that the slickness seemed to dissipate after an hour or so. Looks great. I'm tempted to use it on the top surface that is textured but doubt that it will get into the recesses without spraying it directly onto the seat. I'm leery of doing that in case the excess doesn't dissipate.
Any ideas for treating the top surface would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
A super-absorbent microfiber (like a car detailing cloth) works pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts