Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2010 when I was looking for a scoot, my short list included Suzuki GS500, Ninja 500 (couldn't find a good example of either one locally), V Strom 650 (too much $$$$), then I found Burgie 400 for reasonable $$$$.

Now, there are smaller bikes, such as Honda CB500 in showrooms.

If I replaced Burgie, I would look at a smaller standard bike, with seating position something like my Concours. My only gripe with Burgie is that all of your weight is on your butt. Can't shift to your feet or arms.

I think it's interesting that bike mfrs are coming back to smaller bikes. Even Harley is making a small bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My only gripe with Burgie is that all of your weight is on your butt. Can't shift to your feet or arms.

I think it's interesting that bike mfrs are coming back to smaller bikes. Even Harley is making a small bike.
I agree it's nice to see some smaller offerings. However, I've never been on a conventional motorcycle that had anywhere near the position shifting that all maxi-scooters have. The most important reason I bought a Burgman is the myriad of positions. I can slide forward, I can put my feet below my butt, I can raise my butt either by standing or pressing my feet forward.

I think the Burgmans are the epitome of being able to ride in different positions.

John

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Think simply because during crisis better to sell 100 smaller bikes than 1 big.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Bikes are NOT getting smaller, the small capacity machines have ALWAYS been around.

What you perceive is a change in the models the local marketers are choosing to import. Additionally, I would strongly disagree that 500cc is a small bike when well over 99% of all bikes manufactured and sold in the world are 150cc, or under.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I assume you{mike} are talking about here in North America. In that case you are right the smaller displacement offerings have increased a slight amount in the last few years. But for the rest of the world they are either holding or in some ways shrinking.

I have watched what Europe had for many years, dreaming that they would come here. But in the last few years the number of 250-500cc machines have declined a bit over there{at least from big name brands}.

Many Asian markets are getting big bikes for the first time! Harley sales are booming in China. And the Japanese brands have started selling bigger bikes there too. Granted most Asian countries only have 50-250cc bikes with 125cc ride accounting for more than half.

I am glad to see this revival of smaller rides. Unless you really need a big bike why waste the money!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts