Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the highway a few days ago and there was a scooter going over 80 mph. I looked to see the brand and I think it was a Kymco. I assume the speedometer on that Kymco was reading over 85 mph as my car's speedometer was just a tad over 80.

So, is the Kymco a more capable highway cruiser than my Burg 400? I thought in the USA the only scooters which can consistently exceed 80 mph are the Bur 400, Burg 650, BMW, Yamaha Majesty, Honda Silverwing and it appears the Kymco 500.

Do any of you cruise at over 85 mph (speedometer speed) on your Burg 400? If so, how long can you cruise at an indicated 85 mph? What about an indicated 90 mph? (which is likely 82 mph actual speed).

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/Xciting500Ri/specifications.html

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Back a few years I was flying low and I had this Italian fighter intercept me. I was coming out of a long swiping corner and heading into a long stright-a-way and seen it coming down the on-ramp. I was at 80 MPH when I went by and it caught up to me. So I slowly climbed up and up and it kept with me. I got up to 100 MPH before I started to pull away. It was a Piaggio X9 500. I slowed down and yelled over that we could pull over and chat and she said OK so we pulled off into a Starbucks and we spent about 45 min's chatting over a coffee. Her top speed was about 100 MPH and her GPS said it was said doing 95 MPH. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2006/piaggio/x9/05/

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
All my numbers are actual, per GPS, not indicated. On the 400 I’ve hit 94 downhill. I got to 92 flat land once and 91 on several occasions. I can cruise at 84 all day (although I don't) and have no problem getting to 90 should the need arise. The engine “pull” is about the same from zero to about 87, then it tappers off to 90. Anything over that is very dependent on wind conditions.

I don’t have as much experience on the 650, and frankly probably never will achieve this level of knowledge, because it starts scaring the piss out of me. But suffice it to say triple digits are not a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Test

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Test

1 - 6 of 6 Posts