Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was an interesting topic and since it seems inaccessible in it's current location I thought I would try and resurrect it here.

I think just about any scooter over 300cc's can do go over 80MPH although I certainly wouldn't want to keep riding for any time at that speed on a 300cc scoot, it would have to be at least a 400 to do that. The best scoot to do this on of course would be the Aprilia SRV850 since it generates 76HP i'm sure it could cruise comfortably all day at 80MPH.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So, what's the question? Are you just looking for a list of all scooters that can just barely achieve 80 mph, or those that can cruise comfortably at 80+ mph?

Both are fairly short lists. Anyway, I only know of a couple places in the USA where you can ride at 80 mph legally.

Just noticed your post was from Canada, land of SLOW speed limits. No real need for 80 mph capability, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The 400 can do 80+ mph all day long and not even flinch. The 650 does it even better.No need for an 850 unless you like overkill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just noticed your post was from Canada, land of SLOW speed limits. No real need for 80 mph capability, IMHO.
True dat, Canada has ridiculously low speed limits given the vast size of the country although about 80 miles from where I live the speed limit is 110 Kmh/70 Mph and I have the throttle cranked on my Burgman 650 the whole time. If I could go faster I would so there is definitely some opportunity to ride here.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
True dat, Canada has ridiculously low speed limits given the vast size of the country although about 80 miles from where I live the speed limit is 110 Kmh/70 Mph and I have the throttle cranked on my Burgman 650 the whole time. If I could go faster I would so there is definitely some opportunity to ride here.
If all you get is 70 mph with the throttle "cranked" on a 650, you have a serious mechanical problem. That bike can easily go over 100 and its just cruising at 80. I hope you were being facetious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liam, I never said my Burgman only does 70mph, what I said was, that's the speed limit and when I ride there I have the throttle cranked but i'm usually going over 100mph although I can see why you thought that with the way I worded it.

I agree, 75-80mph is a good cruising speed for the Burgman.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I guess because I'm fairly new to the motorbike world, but when I get over 60 mph I get nervous. Perhaps when I'm more experienced it will be different.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I guess because I'm fairly new to the motorbike world, but when I get over 60 mph I get nervous. Perhaps when I'm more experienced it will be different.
Ride how you are comfortable. No shame in that. But know the 400 is capable of true highway touring when you are.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I thought this was an interesting topic and since it seems inaccessible in it's current location I thought I would try and resurrect it here.

I think just about any scooter over 300cc's can do go over 80MPH although I certainly wouldn't want to keep riding for any time at that speed on a 300cc scoot, it would have to be at least a 400 to do that. The best scoot to do this on of course would be the Aprilia SRV850 since it generates 76HP i'm sure it could cruise comfortably all day at 80MPH.
We go to ocean N-H, Mass., Maine etc. 2 or more time each summer/fall, regularly come back 2 up at 80-90 mph for 7-8 hour long and 650 Burgie do this extremely easy and comfortably, easier than many motorcycle, it do this as easy as Goldwing and BMW do and not tired at end of day like many cruiser people are riding vibrator machine.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
So, what's the question? Are you just looking for a list of all scooters that can just barely achieve 80 mph, or those that can cruise comfortably at 80+ mph?

Both are fairly short lists. Anyway, I only know of a couple places in the USA where you can ride at 80 mph legally.

Guess yoda never ride in many many parts of New-England at 45-55 mph.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That's just what a sign says...the normal SPEED is more like 75-80!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quite frankly whenever I was doing over 80mph any bike lets you know it is working pretty hard....including my Honda GL1800. The difference is that my VTX1300 worked harder, and my 400cc single cylinder worked the hardest! Its a matter of degree. More displacement and more cylinders makes a difference! This is not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quite frankly whenever I was doing over 80mph any bike lets you know it is working pretty hard....including my Honda GL1800. The difference is that my VTX1300 worked harder, and my 400cc single cylinder worked the hardest! Its a matter of degree. More displacement and more cylinders makes a difference! This is not rocket science.
Displacement/gearing does make a difference, as my Concours 1400 runs at about 3500 RPM at 80 MPH. The Suspension makes a difference as far as comfort and control. When I am riding in more remote areas, I need to concentrate more on the speed because if I don't I will run at 100+ MPH. My engine doesn't really feel like it is running until I am between 6000 and 10000 RPM.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I must admit. When I am on the interstate I get incredible joy at passing and waving as I go by Harleys when I have the Burg in manual and 6th gear running 95 at 5500 rpm. It seems like it cuts through the air better at 95 than it does at 70. Those big V twins just don't like to go over 4000 rpm. Something about the long stroke and how far the piston has to travel. That type of engineering was developed in the last century.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I must admit. When I am on the interstate I get incredible joy at passing and waving as I go by Harleys when I have the Burg in manual and 6th gear running 95 at 5500 rpmy.
It's Harleys single pin crank shaft for two cylinders that really makes their bikes beasts. That's the root of their vibration issues and ineffiencies. But it gives them that cool sound they all love. Vanity bikes to me.

If you ever want a thrill riding your scooter, find a small group of Harleys riding on the freeway and pull into formation with them. They hate that.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If you ever want a thrill riding your scooter, find a small group of Harleys riding on the freeway and pull into formation with them. They hate that.

Yes, yes, yes agree, then even better thrill be after a while break formation and pass the formation, hide your laugh in helmet, have done this few time in past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts