Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a rash of bikes stolen this year in the Atlanta area this summer. 90% of them have been sports bikes and a few cruisers but I have not heard of one scooter stolen even though 6 people I know have had their bikes ripped off.
Is this a normal phenomenon? Does no one want to steal our scooters? Is it that the market is too small to be profitable for them?
Just curious....but still securing my Burgman Justin Case! ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Recently I showed a picture of my scooter to one of my Hispanic helpers in our business and he said, "for girls". Scooters are not perceived here in the US as manly and therefore are discounted as real motorcycles. For us though, that's good as they fall off the radar for thieves.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'd bet they part them out, and what's to part out on a scooter? Few and far between, as we are the only ones that know how great they are because we thought outside the box when we purchased them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's because thieves can't figure that there's a parking break on a bike. Took me five minutes and the manual first time. Lol. :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had a couple of neighbors that ran a chop shop. In the 90's, they did a very brisk business in sport bikes for the local street drag bike market. The combination of a very light bike as a donor for high demand parts made an attractive mix. Four guys cold walk up to a bike and heft it into a van in under 5 seconds. Short of bolting it to the ground, there were no effective countermeasures. Lacking the parts demand, there's little motivation for the risk. At least one of them did a stretch for quite a while. The other moved on.

It seemed a little strange to me that their customer base was also their predominant supply chain. I guess squids are slow learners.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Scootereno,

I should check on the one that moved away. Maybe he's in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
same thing happens over here, nowadays the yamaha R15, FZ16 and Pulsar NS200 are the ones being stolen. Very weird to hear of any scooter ripped off.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We just had another 2 bikes stolen this weekend that I heard about.
R6 and 600GSXR..... and my scooter insurance went up $10/year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There are two kinds of people who steal bikes:
a) Kids who take them joyriding, and
b) Folks who part them out through chop shops.

None of the kids have any interest at all in a scooter - or a Wing or a Strom or anything that isn't either a crotch rocket or a chopper. We'll never have to worry about them; our bikes aren't "cool" enough.

If someone steals a Burg, it's likely to part out the Tupperware, so don't be so anxious to fix those scrapes and dings if you live in a place where a lot of thievery goes on.

Trennels made a good point about the 50cc machines. It's amazing how many of them I see down here. They've become the default mode of transportation for all those folks who've lost their licenses to DUI and other unfortunate encounters.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The 50cc's get stolen a lot here because they don't have to be registered.
And two guys can pick it up and toss it in the back of a pickup! :mad:

My old Zuma 50 almost got stolen. I hear this crash one night followed by a car pull away. I go out and look and it is laying on it's side. Luckily I had the front steering locked and when they took it off the stand it wouldn't roll. They just dropped it and took off. Bad thing was the plastics were all cracked up on the left side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts