Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,278 Posts
Great link. Thanks Norman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
My thanks also. There were two Aprilia Atlantics at Scootercade, one blue, one red, both with the optional color matched trunks. Sleek machines! Far and away better looking than our Burgmans... If the future of the company were more certain, and they could establish a viable dealer network, I think we'd see a lot more of them. The Burgmans look very good from the front, and from the rear. From the side, they look boring. (My personal opinion of course.) Scanning through the pics, I think several of the scoots do a much better job of styling from the side view.

Of course, beauty is as beauty does - and Burgman performance is hard to beat. But a more inspiring side profile would be a plus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Norm, you've done it again! Been sitting here the past hour or two drooling over the variety of scoots and things that we never even hear about, much less see in the States. Outstanding link that I'd recommend everyone look at. Sure would like to ride that Gilera Nexus 500.

I would like to nominate Norm as our official Off Shore Town Crier whose job is to keep us Colonials informed about new scoot developments.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ted clement said:
I would like to nominate Norm as our official Off Shore Town Crier whose job is to keep us Colonials informed about new scoot developments.



:eek: :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pauljo said:
My thanks also. There were two Aprilia Atlantics at Scootercade, one blue, one red, both with the optional color matched trunks. Sleek machines! Far and away better looking than our Burgmans... If the future of the company were more certain, and they could establish a viable dealer network, I think we'd see a lot more of them. The Burgmans look very good from the front, and from the rear. From the side, they look boring. (My personal opinion of course.) Scanning through the pics, I think several of the scoots do a much better job of styling from the side view.

Of course, beauty is as beauty does - and Burgman performance is hard to beat. But a more inspiring side profile would be a plus.
The Aprilia Atlantic is a nice machine, but as you say the viability and the(Piaggio - I think) take over needs to happen and settle down. Spares in the UK are absolutely dire for Aprilia and residuals have been hit hard.

Clearly an innovative bunch without much business sense!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
The Aprilia Atlantic is a nice machine, but as you say the viability and the(Piaggio - I think) take over needs to happen and settle down. Spares in the UK are absolutely dire for Aprilia and residuals have been hit hard.

Clearly an innovative bunch without much business sense!
They emptied their wallet to buy Moto Guzzi, and at the same time Vespa sales took a dive in Europe due to some changes in licensing laws - at least that is the tale I've read a couple of places.

Unfortunately, the current rumor is that Ducati might buy a controlling interest. Piaggio would be a better fit for the scooters, and they were interested, but the latest I read was that Ducati has an agreement allowing them some time to decide if they want the company.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pauljo said:
NormanB said:
snipClearly an innovative bunch without much business sense!
They emptied their wallet to buy Moto Guzzi, and at the same time Vespa sales took a dive in Europe due to some changes in licensing laws - at least that is the tale I've read a couple of places.

Unfortunately, the current rumor is that Ducati might buy a controlling interest. Piaggio would be a better fit for the scooters, and they were interested, but the latest I read was that Ducati has an agreement allowing them some time to decide if they want the company.
Not according to my sources :wink:

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170867
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Well, various rumours have been flying for awhile. It isn't over 'till its over. We should know the outcome within 2-3 months. Somehow I do not see Ducati as being scooter-friendly. What they really want is Moto Guzzi.

So, there are possible other outcomes. Piaggio could buy Aprilia and sell Moto Guzzi to Ducati. Ducati could buy Aprilia and sell the scooter side of the business to Piaggio. Negotiations with both Piaggio and Ducati could fall through and Aprilia could fold - or somehow survive and remain independent.

Neither Piaggio nor Ducati have dealer networks in the USA that approach the size of the Japanese brands. I think Ducati has the larger network of the two by a wide margin at this point in time. So, the sad reality is that not much may change for Aprilia fans in the USA regardless of who comes out on top in this business deal.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top