Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the footage of miles of traffic trying to leave New Orleans before Katrina, I couldn't help but think how much easier it would have been to get out of town on a scooter.

We live in Los Angels and I have no doubt what the freeways would look like in the event of ANY kind of evacuation. It's gridlock on any average holiday weekend.

Here's my question...am I the only one who considers the scooters to be a practical part of an emergency plan, as well as a ball to ride? Do any of you keep your tanks full, with a couple of gallons of gas on hand "just in case?" Has anyone done anything like put together a scooter "bug out" kit ready to hit the road in 15 minutes?

I haven't done it yet, but given the events of the past few years it's starting to look less like a lunatic fringe idea to be prepared for the unexpected.

Thoughts?

Morris

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Of course a scooter would be better than a car but it would not be
my first choise. A street legal dirt bike would be better. The go nearly anywhere capability could be very useful especially after a major
earthquake knocked out bridges & overpasses.

·
Registered
115 Posts
During the course of recovery from the site of the 9/11 collapse, BMW provided R1100 and 1150RT cycles to law enforcement ,due to their ability to navigate in and out of the scene much easier.

They would be very practical in any emergency plan.

If I am not mistaken ,I believe BMW donated them to the cause. :wink:

In similiar fashion any major event, I work ,involves all sorts of specialty vehicles. ATV's, Gators, etc. are all constantly used. Too much limited access to use anything convetional ( car, truck, etc.).

If evacuation were in line, your only disadvantage might be carrying capacity but as shown in Katrina's fate, I would want to just GET OUT OF THERE. :shock:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I say it depends on the disaster. No real earthquakes (yet) in Kansas, but there's alway the occasional huge town-killing tornado. I'd rather be in a car or 4-wheel drive truck with my favorite unreplaceable stuff running from a ruined city. If it was world war 3, I might prefer the dirt bike strategy, but an armored and armor-plated hum-vee guarding the gas station it would need to keep running seems like more fun. Flood me out and I'll wish I had a boat or perhaps one of those TALL army trucks you saw driving the flooded streets of New Orleans.

Truthfully, I'm not much for running. If everyone else would promise to leave I think I could survive better staying behind. I'm good at hiding.

·
Registered
491 Posts
At the risk of.............

I, for one, agree totally with what you are saying for many reasons which I won't detail here as much as I'd like to. Even so, some things need to be said.

I am not a radical, but I am personally convinced that circumstances are converging in our culture and economy that are going to catch the majority of Americans flat footed and unprepared to deal with it. One of the primary causes of some real emergency conditions we will have to contend with is the impending oil crash...........yes, I said impending oil crash.

These are not my wild eyed ideas.........heaven knows, I'm not smart enough to figure this out by myself.......... but they are well reasoned conclusions that the best and the brightest have decided are true....... and on their way.

For those of you whom wish a quick synopsis of what I am saying, the links below will get you started. If you wish more info after you have deal with the links, PM me and I will point you further.

For now, though, I can say that there are two primary reasons I am getting my Burgman soon......... very soon........(aside from it's being the best out there - but that only goes to choice of bike)....... the first and overriding (bad pun not intended) factor is the oil crisis that we are all only now beginning to sense in the most rudimentary way. People who think oil prices are painful now are really going to be shocked, when they really start going up.........and we are all going to suffer sooner then we think. The crisis will severely affect every aspect of our way of life because our culture and our economy is totally immersed in and dependant on oil for operation and survival. I am personnally convinced once again, that there will come a time soon enough when low cost, high mileage (50-100MPG range) transportaton isn't going to be a luxury but a necessity (it nearly is already and we haven't seen anything yet). You may not agree, but you should find out (links below). The second reason is, that if all the best prognosticatons are incorrect or a magic bullet is discovered to replace oil tomorrow (not gonna happen), I will be happy to just enjoy the ride. Links follow:

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/pri ... 413-28.htm

Comment: This was written originally when oil was under 30 per barrel and restated in this article when it was 50 per barrel - now it's at 70+. Doesn't take a real discerning eye to add those 2's and 2's.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 09-6175356

Comment: If you go here, use Amazon's "look inside this book" feature to read a bit of and about the book. Also, do some searches, if you are sufficiently motivated and you care to, on google.com on the subject and you might be amazed at what you find. I bought and read this book and it has changed everything - all preconceived notions I had about who we are and where we are going, are out the window. Take a look. You might agree and you might not, but you will surely see what I mean.

As they say...........A word to the wise..........

Regards to all,
(Again, if more info is needed or if you just want to dispute me or yell at me, please PM. But be advised, I will only respond to nice ones)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts