Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this here in General Discussion so all the people who have been looking for it can find it. I've been contacted by a few people wanting to hear from me what happened at Scootercade. Here's my story: At the last minute on Friday night, our babysitter canceled on us and my wife was unable to come, also hit a financial snag, (some days nothing goes right.) so I didn't think I would get to go. My wife convinced me to go alone because she knew I'd been looking forward to it for a year and I really was looking forward to meeting some of our famous BUSA members. I rode up on Monday, got wet most of the day, kept my speed under 100 MPH all the way there. (Don't look so shocked... it was raining. :lol: ) When I got there I couldn't register because all the folks were out at Wanderlust RV Park, I briefly met Pauljo and his lovely wife Trudy, then I walked over to the "Vendor Area", the only vendor there was Jac Vincent (a guy had a tent with a sidecar in it but I never saw him all week, TS Seats showed up on Wednesday) I met Jac and Johnny B, they are a couple of great guys! I met Bill Meek (another great guy) and got to visit for awhile. I got up early on Tuesday and rode out to War Eagle Mill to eat breakfast with some guys I met from Florida, (no I didn't go on the organized breakfast ride) they were a great bunch of guys and we had a real ball. :D I'd be willing to bet we made the fastest run to War Eagle Mill that day! :twisted: I hung out with Jac & Johnny again that night, had a good time. Due to my serious cash shortage I didn't get to register and had planned to only stay one night, but the guys talked me into staying another night so (with the last of my $) I checked back in to the hotel. On Wednesday I went shopping in historic downtown Eureka Springs. It's a fun way to kill some time. In this time I got to look at some nice bikes and got some cool ideas for mods, I met some really nice people as well. The hotel was putting on a picnic for the Scootercade folks, I walked down and snapped some pictures and went to meet Jac Vinson to go for a ride and have lunch before I headed for home, I was standing by his table as he came pulling in with his RV, just as he pulls up, Bob Reinhardt, the event coordinator & VP of Scoot tours, comes up and asks me where my badge is. I explained to him that I didn't have a badge, I wasn't attending the picnic, that I just walked down to meet Jac so we could leave. He became very agitated and started yelling at me to "Leave now!" I told him to calm down, that as he could see Jac was parking the RV and we were leaving. He just started screaming at me to leave that very second or he would call the cops. He ran over and grabbed the man who either owns or runs the hotel and told him that I wouldn't leave! I told the guy the Bob was full of crap and that I was leaving, I said "For that matter I am a paying guest of the hotel and have every right to be on the hotel grounds!" All this time "Bob the Tool" is screaming nonstop. He went over and started yelling at Jac to make me leave. I thought it was pretty stupid for the "Event Coordinator" to scream at the only vendor who bothered to show up!!! Now for the record, let me state that I didn't attend any Scootercade Events, I didn't eat thier food or go on any of their organized rides. The only thing I did was stay in the same hotel and visit Jac and Johnny at his RV. My bike was packed and I was only waiting for Jac, to leave. I have no idea why Bob acted like such a "tool"! I've heard (and read on this forum) lots of things about him and none of it was good! I could totally relate to this post:
nidomio said:
ted clement said:
Paul, what is the fee for non-members?

There's no such thing. If you're not a member (ie, you have to join the club to come). If you try to even come near the "event" without having joined and paid in full for your presence, the organizers will threaten you and their allegedly nice friendly faces will turn around like the exorcist! Beware. Just don't get on the bad side and you'll be ok. Read, don't question anything and don't cross them. My voice of experience and 2 Cents.

Expelled Scoot-tours member - former Scoot-Tours Member of the Year.
As much as I enjoyed meeting the people and seeing the bikes, I don't ever want to put a dime in "Bob the Tool"s pocket!!!!! He acted like a total jackass!!! Since I was leaving anyway, and didn't want to be thought of as a troublemaker, I didn't slap the rude jerk down, but believe me.... he deserved it! Jac was about ready to throw down with Bob for screaming at him. It was a really dissappointing end to a really fun trip. :cry:
I really wish someone would start a BUSA rally. It really is great to get together with other scooter enthusiasts. And it's neat to have vendors that cater to scooter riders. Let me take a moment here to talk about Jac Vinson. He had some really neat add-ons like stereo set-ups, cupholders, backrests, turnsignal minders, just to name a few. Having seen a negative post about Jac right before I left for Scootercade, I wasn't sure if I'd like Jac or not. I found Jac to be a real gentleman. I had a great time getting to know him and Johnny B. I'll do business with him anytime.
I highly encourage all of you who can, to go to Eureka Springs next year, it's a lot of fun meeting all the people. It's up to you wether or not to register with Scoot-Tours.... I can't and won't recommend giving someone like Bob Reinhardt a dime of your hard-earned $...period. I have joined the ranks of people who wouldn't pee on Bob's leg if he was on fire. :x
With all the great, intelligent, friendly members of BUSA, we could put on a much FRIENDLIER rally......think about it.
Well anyway.... to all you who have asked.... that's pretty much it. I was told later, that right after Bob yelled at us, a large group of the people that heard it got up and left the event. I've never seen an event coordinator be so rude to their guests and vendors before, but apparently this joker makes a habit of it.
Still had a great time despite Bob! :wav:

P.S. I averaged 100 mph all the way back to Tulsa :D

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thanks for giving everyone your review, Jeff! I think I would lean the same way as you. I worked in the entertainment (gaming) industry for over a decade. If someone approached me like that coordinator approached you (screaming and rude) I would probably push the issue. It's not his property and you were a paying patron of the Hotel. Hopefully word will spread and letters fly. If it were me and I felt inclined to do so I would write letters to the visitor's bureau and political machine for that township. After all, you are spending money in their town, right? If I was a lawyer with time to play the legal ticket it would be 'Tool Time'.
I'm glad you had a good trip and met some good folks and sorry to hear how one unstable individual put such a damper on the trip for you.
Hopefully BUSA Members will decide they want their own ScooterCon. :)
I guess I'll never be riding with you, Jeff since my little 400 won't keep up but maybe I'll catch up whilst you 'press hard through 3 copies'? ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I knew there was a reason why I didn't go. I don't want to attend an event where organizer seems a bit uptight.

A Burgman rally would be nice.

I thought I went fast at 80mph.

Check out twt.com Two Wheel Texan. They have a lot of rides/events and the fee is quite reasonable. They head to Arkansas and Hill Country in Texas quite a bit. No "biker" attitudes and a good group of folks on the forum. They are so nice they would probably let an Okie ride w/ them - just not to the TX/OU game! :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
There's no reason to be treated like that; attitudes like that spread like wildfire and makes people not want to go.

I'm sure that after posting that here, enough people will stay away from Scootercade 'til Mr Tool writes an apology. *checks his watch* And that will happen when, exactly? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sharkey said:
I knew there was a reason why I didn't go. I don't want to attend an event where organizer seems a bit uptight.

A Burgman rally would be nice.

I thought I went fast at 80mph.

Check out twt.com Two Wheel Texan. They have a lot of rides/events and the fee is quite reasonable. They head to Arkansas and Hill Country in Texas quite a bit. No "biker" attitudes and a good group of folks on the forum. They are so nice they would probably let an Okie ride w/ them - just not to the TX/OU game! :lol:
http://www.twtex.com
pie run this weekend is close to me. woo hoo...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds as if Scootercade is about as Green $$$$$ Hungry as GWRRA. :cry:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
gunrun69

Thanks for a good review, kind of glad I did not go. If it was me I would have decked him.
But I've always had a self-restraint problem all my life. :D

Snipped)
I rode up on Monday, got wet most of the day, kept my speed under 100 MPH all the way there. (Don't look so shocked... it was raining. )
You slow down for rain :shock: :lol: :lol:

By the way, Just for the fun of it, (and to kick up some hornets) :)
I would write a letter to the hotel thanking them for a nice time except for Bob Reinhardt, the event coordinator that tried to kick you out of his hotel. :roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jeff,

It sounds to me like you were able to have a good time in spite of Bob "The Tool" Reinhardt.

I must say I admire your restraint. If someone acted like that towards me in a public place where I had the right to be there as much as anyone else, I would most definitely have dropped him like a bad habit, & find a lawyer afterwards. Assault charges be damned, there is such as thing as extreme provocation, & some things I just won't tolerate. Being treated like you were is high on that list.

After hearing your story, & reading other, similar ones, I think I understand now why only a very few vendors showed up & attendance seemed thin this year. Actions & attitudes like that will kill an event as sure as taxes. Mr. Tool seems to be well on the way to killing Scootercade.

It sounds to me like the suggestion of a BUSA rally in some more or less centrally located area, say Kansas, Colorado, or Missouri could be viable if it could be organized & executed properly. I think that if it coincided with Scootercade, people might prefer that to any more of Mr. Tool's abuse.

Does anyone else agree?

BTW, what kind of mileage did you get on the way home? Did you have to pay a penalty (economy wise, not to the local LEOs) for running that hard for that long?

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Great write up, thanks for the report.

I just love arrogent people, you never have to worry about hurting their feelings, or offending them. (I have a neighbor like that) So there is very little pressure put on me to keep them happy. It just won't happen with those types, so I don't even try. I just pretend their invisible.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Just to remind everyone, that there is always two sides to a story.

For me and my husband, we had a great time at Scootercade.

Ruthie

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ruthie, I understand & agree, but this is not the only incident with this guy that I've heard of. By all accounts, he is a real horse's patootie on a good day.

I'm quite sure that a good time was had by all, but would it not have been even better if there were a few more vendors to provide goodies & ideas? When the vendors stop going to an event, the organizers of said event either get new vendors to keep up interest or the event dies. I've seen it happen many times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ScooterCade observation

Mr Reinhardt was completely out of line. I was the second one he attacked, so have first hand knowledge. I was reparking my RV after having done a "dump and refill" run. As I pulled up to the site, Mr Reinhardt came to the RV and actually opened the curb side door hollering for "JAC!!". Johnny B. asked him at what point in time did he (Bob) think is was okay to open the door to someones house without permission. Johnny's main problem was the "invasion of personal space". When Bob found out that I had gotten out of the rv via the drivers door and was placing wheel chocks, he came around and demanded I throw out my friend. Thinking he was talking about Johnny, I said "Why, what did he do". Bob pronounced that he wasn't registered, and I replied that in fact he was registered and was my help at the vending site. Then he told me that he was referring to Jeff. I was stunned....
1: Jeff didn't participate in any of the organized events,
2: didn't try to buy from either of the two venders that were there (counting ourselves)
3: When did it become "my" job to be bouncer?

This all happened in front of appx 125 people that had gathered to do the "parade" ride. I told Bob that if he had approached me, politely, and said there was a problem, he could have learned all the facts before opening fire. Later in the day, he came back to our site, insisting that since I was going to take Jeff to lunch, I "must" be a friend... so what? Bob is in fact the Vice Pres of the rally, his wife is the Prez, so I went to talk to her and see if things could be resolved amicably. She said that Bob was "just that way sometimes and when he was like that with her, she just left the room". That's what we decided to do the next morning, along with several other folks. The ScooterCade was much larger last year and has run for a long time, but perhaps it's time for Bob to loosen the reins a bit and let other folks represent the Rally more positively. There were errors made by all, but Bob was definitely overboard and unwilling to back down, even after he realized he had made a mistake.
On the way home, my 650 ended up falling off the trailer, and being dragged on the road a bit.
While disappointing, it wasn't the low point of the trip, Bobs' attitude was... By the way, anyone know of someone parting out a Blue 650? I need everything on the right side.. :cry:
It was great to meet several people from the forum. Pauljo, Bill Meek, Jeff, and even the moderator from the Yahoo Burgman group, Richard Dinning.
Perhaps we'll return next year, perhaps not, it's too good a group to just let go away..

·
Registered
368 Posts
sure glad it ddint ride 3000 miles for that crap. I think I'll stcik with Daytona Beach!!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Typically, at a convention like this where non-badged paying guests at the same hotel are present, the convention has legal rights to exclude non-badge-holders only from the areas they have specifically rented, such as ballrooms. Non-badge-holders loitering around the area and clearly having a good time _with_ badge-holders in public areas are annoying to a (usually) financially-strapped convention-director, but he simply _must_ accept them. _Especially_ if they are paying guests in the same hotel! How can you keep a paying guest, for example, off the parking lot or out of the lobby? It's ridiculous!

The best cure for this is for the convention director to a) make sure the registration area remains open for latecomers and b) to politely explain at need that no one's getting rich off of putting the convention together, and that every dime is desperately needed. If this is done skillfully enough, the badged members will help pressure the non-payers to contribute their fair share.

It sounds to me like this convention needs a new leader, if one can be found (They often cannot; it's one heck of a lot of work for no pay.) After a few years, _any_ con director of an event of any size needs to be replaced and move into graceful, stress-free retirement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heard a similar story last year

I read a similar story last year. If I look hard enough I can find it but why bother. I don't have a doubt it is true.

Last year I was told it was because of 'insurance' that he was such a jag off about anyone being close who hadn't registered in advance, whatever.
There was an accident last year and a rider was killed, maybe somehow it all relates, don't know. Who cares,

Who needs him.

The sad thing is that Eureka Springs is a great destination for the event but clearly now there is a oppt'y for a new event, and if it has to be somewhere else, so be it.

I'm riding a Scarabeo 500 today, have been for a couple of years, but I just enjoy riding and talking with others. Once a month I ride with a group which has a number of others on all sorts of rides including Swings and Burgmans, we have a good time. We're all different, and get along fine. This guys actions just ruin it. Can you imagine riding with that guy ?! I sure would avoid a loose cannon like that. #$$% dangerous

If this group ever got a National event together it would be great fun to make the trip on my Scarabeo and join you.

Peace,

Mybug

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know what the cost's could have been, using last years figure of a little over 250 people, at $50 apiece it comes out to well over $12000. All prizes were donated, no meals are paid for. (the hotel paid for the picnic) I don't know how much vendors pay but I didn't really see where the vast majority of that $12000 would have gone except into Bobs pocket.
I certainly don't think the people who paid this year really got their money's worth. (One man's humble opinon)
I fully realize that putting on a rally takes time and money, if not enough people pay the fee, they may not keep having it. I realize all this. I'm not saying that I condone freeloading.... but, there is no excuse for being rude and hateful to guest's either of Scootercade or of the host hotel.
Bob has obviously shown a pattern of this type of behaviour as one can easily see the same recurring theme when people mention him on this forum. (and in private conversations) (I heard others discussing Bobs attitude at Scootercade before I even had the displeasure of meeting him.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well MyBug - you and your Scarebo are always welcome with us.

I had wanted to go to Scootercade, but couldn't. That's a lot better than going there and witnessing that type of behavior from the event leader. If it's his event, then you can't replace him. It sounds like the best thing to do is to not go next year...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
1. I don't like Bob and Sally Reinhart much. They have poor personalities, and they mingle mostly with the "old timers". As hosts for the event they do leave a lot to be desired.

2. Bob Reinhart's handling of the incident was pathetic. He immediately lost his temper and put on a screaming display in front of all his guests. Almost all of his vendors had cancelled this year, but he attacked the largest vendor that did show up over this incident. He is an incredibly stupid man. And I think we have a clue why the other vendors are "too busy" to show up ...

3. Important. I do not go to Scootercade because of Bob Reinhart, not will I let him deter me from going. I go to spend a week with other scooter riders. And I do enjoy it. There is not currently a similar scooter event that draws that many folks. And Eureka Springs is a great place to ride in and vist. Most of the local merchants are very friendly too.

4. Some inaccuracies have been posted. For the record. The fee for a non-Scoot Tours member is $50 for the week. There are two good meals included in the registration fee. The Welcome Banquet on Sunday evening, and the picnic on Wednesday. There is also a hot dog cookout at the campground area (you bring a side dish, they provide the hotdogs). I don't care who pays for the picnic - it is included as part of registration. There is also a discount on lodging ($38 single, $42 couple, at the rally hotels). If you are there for at least 4 days (Sunday through Wednesday), you get pretty good value out of that $50 registration.

There is always talk about the need for an alternative rally. Talk is cheap. Organizing a rally is a lot of work, and no one has stepped up to get it done. Until a viable alternative exists you can't "throw the baby out with the bath water". To not take the opportunity to meet the other scooter enthusiasts that attend due to the inadequacies of the folks that organize the rally, just doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at the event, but your are a bigger man not to let it take away from the fun you had while there. Considering the lack of vendors and the attitude of the organizer(s) I am glad I did not ride from FL to AK for the experience. I'll stick with Biketoberfest in Daytona.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well a free sideshow and still some people complain! Sheesh! :wink:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts