Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid, fancy colors and designs on vehicles (like flames, or lightning, etc.) were all custom painted. Somewhere in the last 15 years or so, vinyl wraps have replaced custom painting like that, at a more affordable price.

Has anybody here ever wrapped their Burgman, or considered/investigated it? Just the plastic parts.

I sold my 2009 (or was it a 2006?), and the new 2022 model looks like a big step forward. But it's boring silver, like my old one. Maybe I could put a US Flag wrap on it or something. And then it would make sense of those goofy blue wheels.

And it would improve visibility, which is always key to me as a rider.

Any insights?

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
I Googled Burgman 400 Wrap then hit Images.

I always wanted to do a Lucky Strike wrap on my B650.
It would be easier on the B650 Stock White paint job.

Tire Wheel Jeans Trousers Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
I put some multi-colored vinyl flames on my Concours about 15 yrs ago 🙂 thanks for reminding me, might do the same for Burgie

·
Super Moderator
15,631 Posts
Eh don't have a pic of it since it's been a couple years, but one of our local riders used automotive wrap on her MP3.
She said it took her a few tries but it worked, still had a couple points where it needed love but overall decent.
By comparison the burger should be as easy or easier.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
I Googled Burgman 400 Wrap then hit Images.

I always wanted to do a Lucky Stripe wrap on my B650.
It would be easier on the B650 Stock White paint job.
Funny, I smoked Lucky Strikes, PallMalls and Camel Nonfilters from 1967 till 1977. I could steal them from my step-dad or uncles. ;) No one 'Bummed' a cigarette from me through those years. We also got 4 cigarettes in each C-Rat box and i traded my Winstons or Cools for Luck Stripes. I switched to Marlboros in 1977 for two weeks and had so many other soldires Bumm a butt from me. I quit 'Cold Turkey' in July 1977 and have not smoked another cigarette. Back then I was smoking a pack and a half a day and doing a tin of Copenhagen in 3 days. I still did a pinch of Copenhagen till 2002 every so often but the tin would dry out at about half tin. A pack of Camels was $0.15 back in 1973 when I joined the Army

Back to wraps, I have seen a Goldwing 1800 done and it looked good. Wish I'd taken a picture.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Not a wrap, and not necessarily proud of it, but I did this for a couple months.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can take all the panels off so they can be wrapped on the bench which should make it a bit easier. But looking at all the shapes and cutouts on the front that looks like it will need to be done in several different pieces for each panel.

I've been wondering if you could paint it with any type of a removable coating. The grey matte color is fine but it is certainly not exciting :).

I even just like to see some precut and Graphics that you could peel and stick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And before I get corrected I am already aware that having flame graphics on the side will not make it faster or handle like a Superbike and they're actually just a waste of money :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And before I get corrected I am already aware that having flame graphics on the side will not make it faster or handle like a Superbike and they're actually just a waste of money :)
You're just saying that, but they really do make it faster, right? ;)

I think the best bet is take it to a place that specializes in this stuff and ask them. Or maybe I'll just go ask before buying it, and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If you just wanted to stay with solid colors you could go the Plasti-dip route.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
Had a buddy that had a 1968 Firebird. He took Bondo and made clumps and stuck them all over, then mud brown color flat latex house paint and sprayed it on to look like it had been out 4 wheeling. The bondo clumps looked like dirt clods all over.

The latex paint would come off with a pressuer washer and he'd respray it Georgia Red dirt color. He'd then spray the whole engine with WD40 and drive down a Georgia dirt road, spray again and drive. The engine looked like it had a major oil leak. He'd pop the hood and pull #1 spatkplug wire so it would run real rough then pull into a local hot spot and ask if anyone was wanting to race for $25. They'd pop the hood and see that nasty grease pig and say "SURE".
As he was shutting the hood he'd just put the plugwire back on and have a full race 327 ready to run.

·
Registered
898 Posts
For those thinking of trying this, but no experience ..
A two part tutorial, over 2 hours run time. Lad looks to know what he's about though.
He works on a motorcycle , but panels similar scenario to scoots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those thinking of trying this, but no experience ..
A two part tutorial, over 2 hours run time. Lad looks to know what he's about though.
He works on a motorcycle , but panels similar scenario to scoots.
This might be for dummies, but only dummies of a certain persuasion. It looks like something that would drive me crazy, and then I'd get a bubble/s, and then all I'd ever see is the bubble/s. I don't like paying for things, but this would be one of them.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I grew up in the 80's... so I listened to all kinds of stuff. But I don't know a LOT about Scooter Wrap, specifically. But.. ya know... I gave it a try:

Got a B-Four-hundy rollin' I 81
no where to go, just a cruising for fun.
A loc'd hump scuffer, ain't gotta shift
I good a good deal cause I shop for thrift.

Leather-clad hogger laughing as he passed
I roll back the throttle, gotta give it some gas.
Red-line rolling, all because
I had to show the hogger what time it was.

Flew passed the hogger and flipped the bird
shocked (beep) couldn't say a word.
Earning much respect and gettin' it done
Just a loc'd hump scuffer just cruising for fun

Does this help?

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,132 Posts
You can take all the panels off so they can be wrapped on the bench which should make it a bit easier. But looking at all the shapes and cutouts on the front that looks like it will need to be done in several different pieces for each panel.

I've been wondering if you could paint it with any type of a removable coating. The grey matte color is fine but it is certainly not exciting :).

I even just like to see some precut and Graphics that you could peel and stick.
If I had to take off every single panel on my 650 there aren't enough swear words in the world to get me through that project.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I had to take off every single panel on my 650 there aren't enough swear words in the world to get me through that project.
From the videos I've seen you need to have a fairly large Reserve Supply because the wrapping will use some up as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts