Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Burgman 400 wants to go forward with brakes applied at a stop. It gradually got so bad that the engine stalls on starting it up. If I can start it and get it moving it will run okay once it gets up to about 20 mph. With the engine off, I cannot move it because the back wheel locks up. It is not the brake locking it up though. Any idea what the problem is?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Definitely sounds like the clutch.
Either something is jammed in there between the shoes and housing or it is time for a new one. Time to take off the tranny cover and take a look-see.
BE SURE TO NOTE WHICH BOLT GOES WHERE - THEY ARE DIFFERENT LENGTHS!!!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
It could also be the idle bearing on the wheel side of the clutch shaft. If that bearing fails it can cause the clutch to lock to the clutch shaft and not be able to freewheel when the bike comes to a stop. That has happened to at least one other member on this board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great replys. All are clutch related. Sounds like I need to start taking things apart. See if I have time this weekend. I will let you know how it goes. -Dano

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
First thing I would do is just pull the complete clutch unit off and examine the shaft bearing on the back side. If it is toast that is probably your problem and it will save you having to disassemble and reassemble the clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts