Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a fully charged battery I can ride my 400 for a distance. When I come to a stop or drop down into low rpm's the scooter stalls. The battery will soon discharge and then not turnover. It will jump start then take off and run fine at high rpm then stall when I come to a stop or slow for a corner.
Another issue. My starter switch, which I have pulled out and cleaned, sometimes sticks, it will always start the motor but will not turn on the lights. If I flick it a few times the headlights will come on and stay on. Is the switch part of the charging loop?
How might I check to see if the charging system is working? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Charge the battery all the way up. Put the scooter on the center stand. Hook a multimeter to the battery and check the voltage with the key off. It should be reading 12.5 volts or more. With the multimeter still attached to the battery start the bike and rev it up to 5,000 rpm. You should be seeing a reading somewhere between 14 and 15.5 volts. If not then a regulator/rectifier or stator problem is likely. Or it could be both.

You can also test both of those with the multimeter but that test is a little more involved. Your going to have to remove some bodywork to get to the plugs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
While scooter is running, put a voltmeter across the battery, it should read 14 volts or so. How old is your battery? An old or failing battery might show 12 v at rest, but there aren't enough amps to crank.
Our little garden tractor battery shows 13 v when charged, but will not crank anymore. Once jump-started, it will run (you can remove the battery once the machine is running).

For the scooter to die at idle, you have some other problem. Which I don't know, I don't have a repair manual. :(

Also, I would bet there are relays for the starter button and headlights. They wouldn't run relatively high voltage across such dinky switches.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The headlights are off because the part of the starter switch that turns off the headlights while the bike is cranking is sticking in the open position. It is not part of the charging system. You can sometimes take the starter button apart and repair it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It sounds like a charging problem or a bad battery. I would charge up the battery and see if it will hold a charge. If that is good then I would be looking at the voltage regulator. The generator is almost never the culprit. With the battery hooked up start the bike and measure the output. It should read 14v to 15.5 v. Lower than 14v I would suspect the rectifier, 15.5 and above a bad battery. Do not attempt to run the bike without a battery in it. The electronics on the bike are not made to take the raw voltage that the alternator puts out. The battery acts as a buffer to smooth the current out and rid high voltage spikes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can measure the output of the alternator before the rectifier to see if it is no good, but I don't now what the output of the 400 is.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You can measure the output of the alternator before the rectifier to see if it is no good, but I don't now what the output of the 400 is.
The spec is "55 VAC and more at 5,000 rpm".

To the OP's problem it is obvious that the battery is not charging. This could be a wiring problem, bad rectifier/regulator or bad battery--all easy enough to check...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts