Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone interested in a Scooter Road Rally?

So, I've been giving some consideration to running a Scooter Road Rally to raise money for a charitable cause (although I'd see no reason to excluded manual motorcycle riders who want to participate). It would be a relatively "low people, but high technology" affair, to cut down on the logistics of doing it.

To ease the logistics, the way it would work is as follows:

• A website would be up, to post information as it comes in and to distribute information to riders
  • I'd like you to use Glympse on your Smart Phone to constantly share your location, so we could monitor where people are
  • At each check point, you'd HAVE TO use Gympse to share your location, take a photo of yourself and your bike at the location, and email it from there before leaving. This way, we can ensure people meet the check points.
  • After checking in at each check point, you'd get the site of the next location
Other details:

• At the end of it, there would be "a gathering" for everyone to hang out - probably at a park somewhere - and I'd try to have it catered with some food and (non-alcoholic) drinks
  • Prizes of some sort would be available, based on various things
Interested?

• Assume it would be in the summer sometime - probably in the first half of August.
  • Assume it would be on a weekend
  • How many miles would you be willing to ride, from your start point, through the event, and back to the start point?
  • Would you be willing to make it an all-weekend event, with a "layover" somewhere at your own expense (hotel, camping, whatever)?
  • What do you feel the ideal distance between checkpoints is?
  • What city/state is your starting location?
  • Realizing that expenses and prizes come out of the donations, what do you think a reasonable donation would be for such an event?
  • Would you be interested in trying to sign-up "sponsors" for your ride, to donate a flat amount or pennies/mile or something?
Comments are welcome here, but it would be helpful to get copies sent to [email protected] so that I can collect them in one place.

ag

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I am a bit confused by your post. Are you going to host a rally? Are you asking us to host one?

P.S. Your screen name is "Alaska Guy", so that tells me you want to do something in Alaska. If that is a false assumption, please fill out the rest of your profile and state a location as that may cause many probable riders to ignore the post.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a bit confused by your post. Are you going to host a rally? Are you asking us to host one?
I'm giving some thought to running one......running/hosting...same thing. So no, I'm not asking anyone else to host one :)

P.S. Your screen name is "Alaska Guy", so that tells me you want to do something in Alaska. If that is a false assumption, please fill out the rest of your profile and state a location as that may cause many probable riders to ignore the post.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA. But that doesn't mean it would involve Pittsburgh, PA. The location would depend on the interest of those who would be interested - hence the questions. :)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Check out the Scooter Cannonball Run. They used to let our bigger scooter do it until last year but have since limited it to smaller cc scoots. They run it on the even years and it is always epic. Last year it was from Alaska to Louisiana and 2 years before that it was Savannah to San Diego. Our Burgman USA Forum sponsored a couple riding that one.
They have all they details and waivers involved and it would be a good place to do some research on the monumental task of putting something like that on. You will be amazed at what all is involved and the logistic nightmare it can be. Good Luck if you organize one but you might have to quit your day job to pull it off.
http://www.scootercannonball.com/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Considering that you are in Pittsburgh why dont you check out the 'Scooter Fahrt Rally' in southern Ohio. Maybe it ain't Alaska, but it is in your own back yard. How convenient is that for someone who's "thinking about ...." one?

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts