Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll toss this one out for comment..
No way in hell is a 400 or 650cc machine that is capable of 100+ mph a
"scooter" in my book. 50cc's make a scooter! Nobody would ever mistake a Burgie for a Vespa, at least, not after the first ride!
I prefer to think of the Burgie as a "radically different expression of motorcycle art and design".

Comments, anyone? 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Powerful Scoot!!

Yeah, Bill, trying to comprehend that these bikes are factually considered scooters is a bit unbelievable. My local lead tech rep. stated that the only thing that continues to keep them in the scooter realm is that they remain a "step-through" bike....otherwise, most of us now know that these machines have great style & super power. I for one am happy that I switched from the Atlantic 500 to the Burgy 650....again, it's like comparing apples and oranges....but I'm looking forward to the top box, heated Gerbing gloves, vest, & some intriquing LED lighting along the bottom of the side fairings....should look pretty neat when its done. Hey, when I think of a more appropriate name for these machines, I'll let you know!! Meanwhile, take care!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree. The only reasons that the Burgman is called a scooter is because the wheels are slightly smaller in diameter and the step through. Perhaps, also the auto tranny.

Eddie

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Bill Seward said:
I'll toss this one out for comment..
No way in hell is a 400 or 650cc machine that is capable of 100+ mph a
"scooter" in my book. 50cc's make a scooter! Nobody would ever mistake a Burgie for a Vespa, at least, not after the first ride!
I prefer to think of the Burgie as a "radically different expression of motorcycle art and design".

Comments, anyone? 8)
I dont think that you will find a Burgman owner that will disagree with you. The only people I know that insist on calling it a scooter are the people who dont own 1. Well call it what you want , but I'm proud to say I ride a scooter if thats what you want to call it. As for me I would definetely cast my vote for the Burgman's as BIKES OF THE YEAR!

·
Registered
33 Posts
what's in a name?

Hello @ all,

we have had this same discussion on our Forum over here. People desperately trying to find a new name - genre - description for the Burgman. All sorts of exotic superlatives were created as if the owners were ashamed of their "scooters" and needed an upgrade fix as far as names go.

I think that if it has to be a "bike" then go out and buy what is perceived by others to be a "bike". I bought what is according to the trade descriptions act a "scooter" - I thoroughly enjoy the understatement aspect of my "scooter" when I out corner a "real bike" or leave some sneering motorist standing at the traffic light and when I can pack my shopping under the seat :lol:. I have a powerful scooter and I love ít. And when you tell someone that you own a "scooter" and they raise an eyebrow (or worse), just think to to yourself "time will tell..." because they will be the surprised ones when you pass them somewhere on the road. That will be your real moment of truth - enjoy it your scooter will help you.

Have a great week and hopefully first class weather to go with it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
As some of you might know, I went from a Suzuki GSXR to the Burgman 650. (Still own the GSXR, pretending to sell it :D ).

When my friends heard that I got a Burgman, most of them didn't know what it was. I showed them the bike, and to my friends on the net, I showed them pics etc.

Half of them thought it was a great bike, while the others thought (and some expressly said) "I wouldn't be caught dead on a scooter."

Many of these guys are a young crowd too, really into sportbikes etc. Some of the older guys wouldn't even think about it because it is labeled as a 'scooter.'

You know what gang? I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK ANYMORE.

My pleasure is out of owning and riding this bike. The abundance of power, the automatic transmission, the plentiful storage space, the well designed look, plentiful lighting, total comfort and all.

I was thinking the other day, that I actually am able to enjoy the ride on two wheels without having to fidget with changing gears, and my feet are free to move around, change position etc. I have more of that 'free' feeling of riding on two wheels actually.

The 'image' is important to many people, I can understand. It used to be important to me too.

As long as I am happy inside, I don't bother anyone, I have learned, THAT is what is important.

·
Registered
31 Posts
migz123 said:
You know what gang? I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK ANYMORE.

My pleasure is out of owning and riding this bike. The abundance of power, the automatic transmission, the plentiful storage space, the well designed look, plentiful lighting, total comfort and all.
Well said. In fact these types of scooters are often called Maxi-Scooters which fits well, but as you pointed out, who cares what it is called. It is a futureristic human transport vehicle that is a blast to ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
burgys

scooter sales were up 22% this year. i think of my burgy as the anti-harley. to ride a burger, says i am secure within myself, i am free from wannabe. iam not aposer. iam a motorcyscooterist. i think?

·
Registered
62 Posts
To migz123:

I was almost ready to think that I was the only guy in the world to "downsize" and be happy about it! I moved from an '82 Wing with 187K original miles to the Burgman. Can't express how happy I am that I did.

The only negative comments I've received have been, and this is no joke, from Harley owners whose bikes were on trailers.

I've ridden with some of the folks I rode with on the Wing, and have had nothing but positive interest from them. Wait till spring when I roll out with CB, Intercom, AM-FM and MP3 Player. They'll %$#@ a lead brick!

Mick
Charleston, SC, USA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scootman and proud of it.

I'm a scootman, yeah yeah yeah! I'm a scootman, yeah yeah yeah.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Baby, I'm a scootman.

There's nothing more honorable than being a scootman or scootwoman. Its one of the highest levels of personal acheavement that a person can attain.

A scootperson is their own self, doing exactly what they want to do.
A scootperson is not a poser.
A scootperson is the same person 24/7, not a weekend leather warrior.
A scootperson is able to think as an individual, no need for a "Papa".
A scootperson is a person who enjoys not shifting gears, they have more
important things to attend to.
A Scootperson is a person who enjoys a hot cup of Maxwell House on the
early morning trip to the office or wherever.
A scootperson is someone who appreciates their legs staying dry when
pavement is wet.

This list could go on & on & on, however, a scootperson is someone who has better things to do than to keep this up.

Happy Christmas Day!
Terry

·
Registered
409 Posts
I said this on an earlier post. As far as I'm concerned, my Burgman 650 is very simply and ably,

A SPORT COMMUTER

Eddie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are burgmans scooters?

Does it matter? I suppose the 400 for sure because of its one piece
engine and trans. that serve as a swing arm for the rear suspension
also. The 650 could be debated until the cows come home but to me
I like to call them scooters just to see the look on peoples faces.
Happy Holidays. Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scooters?

Tom
You are so right on buddy. A scooter is a scooter is a scooter is a scooter.
If you attend ScooterCade this coming August you will not be at the "CycleCade or the "CommuterCade", you will be at ScooterCade.
From 250cc scooters up to the Burgman 650 will be in attendence. Scooter people with their scooters.
Happy Holidays!
Terry

PS: Rode my 150cc scooter today 24 miles. Really cold, but it sure was fun. There is just something good to be said about scooting about at a slow pace, taking in the cold air, waving a folks, being smiled at, smiling back, enjoying the sights. Scootmanforever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scooters?

Hi Allan,
ScooterCade? When you first get into the http://www.BurgmanUSA.com site,
click on "LINKS", when that page pops up then click on the area that reads "Scoot Tours". That page will fill you in.

There is also a great article in the "Scooter Rider Magazine" for winter 2003. If you are not familar with the mag go to http://www.ScooterRiderMag.com

ScooterCade is held every year in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I think its been held for 14 consecutive years. I have never been, as I have just got into scooters this year, but I sure plan to go to this one in Aug 04.

I have never really cared about going to motorcycle rallys for "I don't have to say reasons". But I believe the ScooterCade is all about Scooters and fellowship. In the article in SRM it never metioned the word beer or strong drink or waky weed being passed around. Now don't get me wrong, I like a good time, but I can have a good time on Diet Coke and unsweetened tea.

From what I can tell I believe the highest in number scooter there is the Honda Helix 250. Scooterpeople drive 400 or more miles on their Helix's and other models to get there. In the pictures, I never saw a "classic scooter, like a Vespa or Cushman. I think its more for the "Maxi-Scooter crowd. It appears its more of an older crowd, like maybe average age over 40. For me thats great! Grandpa's and Grandma's! Yeah Yeah!
Happy Scooter Year!
Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
A new name

I agree with everyone, fun, power, handles, looks great. You really have to let go of what other people tthink. I'm changing my to the Finkelstein 650. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts