Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to subscribe to one or two scooter mags. WHich one/ones do you feel are good ones? I see most are from the UK, but they don't post US prices. Extremely frustrating. What mags do you all get and how much for overseas ones?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not a dedicated scooter mag as such but Road Runner is published 6 times a year and every second issue has ~ 10 - 15 pages at the back dedicated to scooters. It is a very nice magazine (big and glossy with lots of quality photos) with great articles on touring, maps etc. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
My personal favorites are Twist & Go Scooter Magazine and also Scootering. Unfortunatley I cannot recall what the subscription price is. Your best bet would be to go to a reputable book store, most of them can order the magazines, some can also give you subscription information and order them for you.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
After trying out several general scooter magazines, I've found that I'm not so much interested in scootering in general. What I want from a magazine is information about Burgman's in particular. So I'm letting my subscriptions expire and visiting here when I need an info fix.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Burgman articles are hard to find.

About once a year some of the motorcycle magazines will do a review or something.
I usually just browse through all the mags on the newsstand each month and only buy one if it contains things burgy.

Cheaper than a subscription. :wink:

What we need is a dedicated Burgman, or at least a maxi scooter magazine.
Not enough readers to make it worthwhile I guess.

Good thing we have this forum! :lol:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll check it out. But, with all the motorcycle mags I've boughten, hoping to find one kind of dedicated to cruisers, none of them were. So now I'm looking for one dedicated to scooters, so I'm sure of reading up on what I'll be owning.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Scooter Rider Magazine. Unlike "Twist 'n Go" this is a USA publication, so it only covers product available in the USA. It is published about 5 times a year, and an annual subscription is $21.99. A bit pricey, but pretty good content.
http://www.ScooterRiderMag.com

The Scoot-Tours organization also publishes a quarterly magazine "Scootin'". It is included as part of the $30 annual membership fee. They are a bit biased toward Honda products, but they do have tests and articles on other makes.
http://www.geocities.com/scoottours/

I also subscribe to "Road Rider" magazine. Excellent tour reports, which is their primary focus. They also have a Scooter section now in some issues, as previously mentioned.

As far as I know, these are the best USA scooter publications at this time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wilder days said:
I want to subscribe to one or two scooter mags. WHich one/ones do you feel are good ones? I see most are from the UK, but they don't post US prices. Extremely frustrating. What mags do you all get and how much for overseas ones?
In answer to your questions:
A two year subscription to Twist n Go costs $163.89US. This was bought on January 12, 2005 at the current exchange rate. This also is for airmail delivery. I received the February 2005 issue on January 28th and it was mailed on January 21st.

I hope this helps your decision.

Alan

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
pauljo said:
Tom,

Do you subscribe to either of those? If so, what do you think of them?
I subscribed to Scooter World. I think its better edited that Scooter Rider Mag. Scooter Quarterly I just ran across; you can buy a back issue to test the quality.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I checked the links page on some of these
...and I didn't find a burgmanusa link...
If you subscribe to any of these mags maybe you should provide the link.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I subscribe to Road Runner magazine myself. It's primary focus is touring, followed by articles on machines, both standard and scooter. I agree with many of the previous posts that this is one of the better US published magazines that give 'some' space to scooters; I have not yet seen any artilces on Burgmans though. Perhaps we need to start an email campaign to the publisher and encourage a Burgman 400 & 650 based article.
The mag's link is: http://www.rrmotorcycling.com/mags/frames.html and they have a Contact Us button to send them emails.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In reading one of RR mag's first scooter sections, I recall them describing a 500cc scooter they tested as though it was the largest of scooters available in the USA. They seemed to be surprisingly unaware of the existence of the Burgman 650. With the possible exception of the T-Max, which is not available here, there are no 500cc singles that can compete with the AN650 in performance or handling.

The impression that gave me is that they are still a bit naive about the scooter market in the USA. But I did send them an email commending them for including a periodic scooter section, and mentioning my experiences with touring on my AN650.

The other thing we keep seeing is the lousy customer relations coming from Suzuki USA. At the shows, the Burgman scooters have either been unattended by reps, or even worse, attended by reps with very weak product knowledge. I am thinking that Suzuki USA is being true to form, and not making any effort to get these scooters into the hands of magazine testers.

·
Registered
848 Posts
One thing we North Americans have to keep in mind about scooter magazines (and motorcycle dealerships) is that although we have embraced these big scooters, we are very much on the leading edge of the big scooter movement. At the moment the hottest segments in the motorcycle business are the sport bikes and the cruisers, this is where the majority of money is being spent. It doesn't matter if it is magazine sales, parts and accessories, bikes or clothing, everyone is targeting the biggest bucket of cash. Have a look in the any dealership, how many scooters are on the floor compared to the cruisers and sport bikes? We are fortunate to have places like this to get information, support and help, and in fact we know more than most of the dealers or publishers about this market and these machines. We can wish all we want for more articles or more accessories, but until someone who is involved in big scooters as heavily as some of the folks on this forum, not much will happen. I am happy to see that in southern British Columbia there are a few dedicated scooter shops opening which signals growth in the overall market. Be patient and smile knowing that we are miles ahead of the masses and in time they will be spouting the joys of big scooters like we have been.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Rubble said:
snipped Be patient and smile knowing that we are miles ahead of the masses and in time they will be spouting the joys of big scooters like we have been.
Sage words Rubble.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Road Runner mag

I've gotta say: I really like the mag but find their scooter section a waste of time and space. They've done two tours of Kansas City and only seem to ride--or have access to--Aprilias and Vespas. And for all their scooter section, they don't seem to take scooters seriously for anything other than "around town" riding. They don't dress for it either, but that's my personal issue. :wink:

Why not test-ride a Honda or a Suzuki? Hopefully, they will in upcoming issues. And why not do the same touring they do on their sportsbikes and cruisers on a megascoot?

All that said, I enjoy their articles, appreciate their maps, etc.

Bryna

·
Registered
925 Posts
Scooter World Magazine is a pretty good one. We get them for free at our store.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Re: Road Runner mag

Invincsum said:
They don't dress for it either, but that's my personal issue. :wink:

Bryna
I'm beside you on that one, Bryan, and if we haven't already, let's not open that can of worms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts