Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not the first time this has happened to me. I'm sure it has happened to others in the forum.

I'm gearing up in the parking lot getting ready to ride home. (It was raining in the morning, so I'm the only bike in the motorcycle parking area). A guy walks by, comes up to me, comments positively on my 400, and then asks, "What's it do, 50?" I'm somewhat taken aback, and don't have an immediate clever retort. (Jeez, my 150 Blackjack goes faster than 50!) I tell him a little about the Burgman, top speed, displacement, weight. He is a little surprised.

Now, I'm by no means an expert on all things 2-wheeled, but in looking at a bike or scooter I can come to some reasonable assumptions about performance. I can differentiate between a Honda Rebel versus a Goldwing, just as easily as between a 50cc Ruckus versus a Vespa 300GT. How can you look at a maxi-scooter and think it tops out at 50?

I asked him if he rode. He replied that he rode a Vulcan, then added "a cruiser"...."a Kawasaki". He did not know the weight of the bike nor did he tell me the displacement. I asked him why he wasn't riding in, and he made an excuse that he didn't have any luggage. In 4 years of parking in this state employee lot, I have never seen him on a bike.

When I shared this story with my wife, wondering incredulously how someone could not know the specifications of his ride, she responded that not everyone is a geek like me.

I admit, I'm somewhat of a geek (nerd?) about stuff. But how can you look at a scooter and not have a clue?

OK. Rant over. I must just be overly sensitive today.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
How can you look at a maxi-scooter and think it tops out at 50?
Because of cheap Chinese POS scooters! They make some models that look big but have small underpowered engines in them.

BUT you are right - most people are simply ignorant of scooters.

As for the guy and his Vulcan - he probably bought it when he had a mid-life crisis and only rode it for a month or two and now it sits in his garage.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
When asked same questions i always answer, nah -- 50 is too much, doing 20-30 downhill and to the wind.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was gassing up last summer when a guy came up and asked me how much gas cost for it. I told him it was the same price he was paying. He stared at the scooter for a few seconds - probably trying to figure that one out - then let out a hmm and walked in to pay.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I was at gas station filling up the 650 Burg which has trunk and hard side bags so its a little wide / large . This fat red headed red neck type who looked like he hadn't showered in weeks , and inside this rusty old beat up pickup truck was either a girl friend or a wife to match . He says to me "is dat a scooter" I say "YUP!" he says "wazz dat about 50cc" ? I say "YUP"

TheReaper!

·
Registered
133 Posts
People are surprised when I tell them that mine is a 400 and usually say something like "that's like a real motorcycle".

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
OK. Rant over. I must just be overly sensitive today.
Maybe your just feeling a little bloated today... Lol :D

I love the "Really" moment! That precious second or two when people's preconceived ideas are shattered and it registers that this is a real machine and not a child's toy. It kinda goes from confusion to surprise to acceptance very quickly. It's followed up by pondering. "Hmmm, if it can do that, then maybe I should get one. Looks like fun". Usually price and where to get one is the final question, so they can continue pondering.

I love being a scooter ambassador. I think I've sold several over the years! I should get a commission or something.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
What cracks me up is the 400 and 650 both have that on the side in big numbers.

But I mut say it's not just scooters, there's prejudice against, Japanese bikes of all sorts , there's prejudice against clutchless Versions of the FJR by the FJR community , same bike !

It's like all prejudice, it's based on ignorance Or jealousy

I always try to Stay away from the "clever" response, I look at it as a chance to boast about my ride. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its the fluride in the water that makes people like this. Its called calcification of the pineal gland.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Don't you know that it has to be able to go faster than 200 kph/130mph to be considered a motorcycle?
Since an, up to that point in the conversation, politely curious bystander told me so, I tell all people who I suspect will come with a similar smart-ass remark, that its a 45 kph (30mph] moped and not a word more.
If someone is going to end up with hurt feelings, better them than me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Back in January I had to go to Lexington, KY from Charleston, WV for a family funeral. Having no alternative, I had to take the Burgman. (Nearly froze my [email protected]@ off, but that's another story.)

When I got into Lexington and was gassing up, some guy said, "You came all the way from West Virginia on that thing?" He was just floored that a scooter would do that. When people think 'scooter' they think those little Vespas like what Audrey Hepburn rode in "Roman Holiday."

·
Registered
89 Posts
Back in January I had to go to Lexington, KY from Charleston, WV for a family funeral. Having no alternative, I had to take the Burgman. (Nearly froze my [email protected]@ off, but that's another story.)

When I got into Lexington and was gassing up, some guy said, "You came all the way from West Virginia on that thing?" He was just floored that a scooter would do that. When people think 'scooter' they think those little Vespas like what Audrey Hepburn rode in "Roman Holiday."
Frankly I tried a lot of scooters before settling on the Burgman, and even some of the bigger ones (including a Piaggio 500) would not have given me confidence to do that ride - at any rate not without a support vehicle and trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Before I found my 400 Burgman I thought all scooters had flat floors & would only do 45 mph. Now I know better they'll do 45+++++++++:D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I get told all the time "Nice Moped" by people (usually at gas stations). I also got chased down by a couple on a motorcycle one day. The guy wanted to know what I had done to my moped to make it go so fast. He told me he suspected nitrous.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Recently I went into a Suzuki dealer, granted, a small shop, and asked if they had any Burgmans. The response was they didn't know what a Burgman was. When I explained it was a scooter, they cheerfully showed me some 50/90 cc scooters they had. When I explained I was looking for a maxi scooter that ranged from 400 cc's to 650 cc's made by Suzuki, they told me I must be mistaken. The guy I talked to was young and I may have been able to get more info from one of the other sales folks in the shop, but I decided it wasn't worth my time.

John

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A couple weeks back I got stopped by a motorcycle cop for not stopping at a stop sign. He agreed I had come to a stop but stated I didn't put my foot down (which was true) which he claimed was required by law. (What if you ride a three wheeled motorcycle? Are you still required to put your foot down?) He then asked me if you needed a motorcycle endorsement on your license to ride "that thing"...DOH! :scratch:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
A couple weeks back I got stopped by a motorcycle cop for not stopping at a stop sign. He agreed I had come to a stop but stated I didn't put my foot down (which was true) which he claimed was required by law. (What if you ride a three wheeled motorcycle? Are you still required to put your foot down?) He then asked me if you needed a motorcycle endorsement on your license to ride "that thing"...DOH! :scratch:
Police officers who don't know the traffic ordinances need to go back to riding with a field training officer for a while. Asking a member of the public about the need for a motorcycle endorsement is a good example of an officer who isn't up to speed. And how come he knew you had to put at least one foot down at stops on a motorcycle (I got stopped for that in California back in the early 1970's and it is statute) but he doesn't know that a 650cc motorcycle / motorscooter needs an endorsement?

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,061 Posts
I rode scooters for years in the heart of HD country, Milwaukee and got flipped off more times than was waved at. I assume for riding a scooter. The stupidest thing anyone said to me was why wear a helmet and jacket/gloves when I'm only riding a scooter. My response was if I hit the ground at 60mph its going to hurt as much as him riding a HD and hitting the ground at 60. What idiots.

Where I live now is much more scooter friendly though most of them are the 50cc size due to the guys/girls getting dui's and needing transportation w/o a license.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts