Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading threads about rain riding. I had my first rain-ride yesterday. It was a gully washer! (Glad I just put new tires on)
I was wondering, are the electronics pretty weather proof?
I plan on riding my 400 all year. I have a good rain suit but only a half-helmet. I can tell I NEED a full-face helmet (rain hurts).

Any reports of the dash gauges getting jiggy with it after being rained on?

Thanks - another Mike

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mike-
Suzuki has done a pretty good job maing the dash and guages waterproof. I've ridden in pouring rain and several times got the scoot caught in torrential rain while I tried to stay dry waiting out the storm. I've never had a problem with foggy guages or damaged lights and LEDs. If you ever have an opportunity to take the dash apart to replace bulbs or change dash colors you'll see why it doesn't leak.

Of course I'll never claim that the scoot is bullet proof and I do try to avoid the wet but I wouldn't waste a lot of time worrying about it. Just be extra careful on wet roads...

·
Premium Member
12,595 Posts
the only water intrusion problem that seems to trend on the 400 is the lights/ignition switch and it is a corrosion in general problem as much as water intrusion, you will know it is time to clean/lube it when your headlights start acting funky . I drove mine year round in rain and sometimes in water deep enough to go over the floorboards, never had a water problem except for puddles in my seat (yuk, wet cojones)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The only water intrusion problem I've had is if I don't get the rain jacket properly sealed at the bottom. Causes an embarrassing wet spot :rolleyes:

I ride in rain anywhere from 5 to 30 times a month.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don't think it's an issue on the 400 but the conventional wisdom says that one way to kill the CVT in the 650 is to allow water to enter it (or vermin). I hope that the CVT cooling air intake is in the area of the bike protected from weather (it seems to be -- it's above the right foot-board).

·
Registered
486 Posts
While traveling, I've had my 650 parked in torrential rains overnight...I was fully loaded and there was no room for a tarp.

No problem. I'm always concerned about switches and buttons out in the rain...but, in two years, no problem.

I've also ridden in soaking all-day rain and road-spray. Again...aside from road sheen on everything, no issues.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Apart from when the bike is at home in the garage, it's used in all weathers and stands outside all day in the raging sun, and the torrential downpours we get. No water problems...no problems of any kind actually!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The only issue I ever had with rain and the controls is when It rained and then got below freezing and froze some of the contacts. though a quick dry out with a hair dryer got that working again so yep, they sourced some decent components when building these scoots. The only stuff I've actually had short out is from crap if added on, like my cruise control switch assembly this weekend. Though it wasn't light rain I was riding in either going from Cinci to western KY.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I ride year around, and the bike is outside at all times in temperatures from below frezzing to above 110 (my wife's car gets the 1 car garage). At work I also park it in an outside parking lot. I've been doing this for 5 years now, and the only problem I've had/am having, is the drivers seat is starting to crack. I still have the original battery, lights and upholstery. The passenger's seat looks like new. But then I use a protectant on it regularly. I seldom do anything to the driver's seat as it gets too slippery. I have a bike cover, but it takes too much time and effort as I ride nearly every day of the year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good news for me! I love this ride and am going everywhere on it. North Louisiana winters are relatively mild, with only a few really nasty days.
Before it gets too cold I have to look into some hand protection!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ride year around, and the bike is outside at all times in temperatures from below frezzing to above 110 (my wife's car gets the 1 car garage). At work I also park it in an outside parking lot. I've been doing this for 5 years now, and the only problem I've had/am having, is the drivers seat is starting to crack. I still have the original battery, lights and upholstery. The passenger's seat looks like new. But then I use a protectant on it regularly. I seldom do anything to the driver's seat as it gets too slippery. I have a bike cover, but it takes too much time and effort as I ride nearly every day of the year.
As do I but, I can't stand it when the seat is covered with dew, frost or entire scooter is draped in leaves. So, cover it I must.

As far as rain. I have to park it outside at work as well. I have also ridden through some torrential rains and hail and never had any problems. (With the Burgman anyway.)

Kim

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rode home two days ago in a down pour. I bought a Coleman PVC rain suit and a neoprene half-face cover. Got some of those ATV hand protectors. The only thing that got ANY rain on me was my feet.
Bought some foot covers last night (on line). When they come in, I'm ready for winter!
The rain suit and feet covers are large enough for winter clothes under them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts