Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my AN400 back from its 1000km service, and I'm finding that it now frequently stalls when I'm starting it. Before servicing, I could start it (no throttle) with no problem. Now, unless I give it some gas, it stalls when I start it. Is this normal or is there some adjustment (minor) that should be made.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Not sure I understand the question right, if I start my 400 with out touching the throttle it will start and some times it stalls. However I don't start a bike like that , I hit the starter then blip the throttle, then I would not expect it to stall except at times when it's cold. Keep in mind this is a automatic so don't go and give a lot of gas :wink:

·
Registered
605 Posts
What is it idling at? The manual recommends an idle speed from 1200 - 1400 and if the idle is set too low then I can see it stalling at startup. The problem could be this or the fuel injection system is out of wack (TPS - throttle positioning sensor needs adjustment) because as soon as the motor starts, it idles a little higher (around 2000 rpms). Within a couple of minutes after warming up, it will settle down to 1200 -1400 rpms.

Setting the idle speed is simple...look in your owner's manual and the procedure is described there.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My "cold-blooded" 400 had idle speed variations before I tweaked the tappets
and it used to die when starting cold but with a little throttle help
it smoothed out in a few seconds.

Now, after tappet adjustments there is an initial rough idle but it smooths
itself out after 5 seconds. I also set the idle to near 1500 too.

Burgy shows great performance differences by the octane of fuel I use.
Just like my '91 VX800 or '92 GSX1100, using a lower octane of fuel will
yield smoother starts too.
Not an 87 but something in between.
A mechanic recently said I was waisting my money on 92 octane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts