Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've test-ridden an Atlantic 500, and owned a Scarabeo 150. While these bikes ride and handle _beautifully_ (better than Burgmans, in my opinion) there seems to be major issues on parts and service. When I was on the Aprilia forums, I found that many riders were waiting months for parts. Also, with the Atlantic 500 at least, there was an issue where gas was getting into the oil, and the factory absolutely refused to acknowledge that it was even happening. This was enough to turn me away from buying an Atlantic 500 that I could have had for the same price as my much-plainer Burger 400.

I sold my 150 to a good friend, and it developed major, perhaps fatal, engine trouble within weeks with only about 3k miles on it. (He's got coolant in the oil; hasn't found out why yet.) Heaven only knows how long it's going to take him to get parts if he tries to fix it (as planned).

While on the subject of Italian scoots, I also learned in my research before buying that the the new Piaggio 500 cc model was originally rolled out to the scooter press with a dangerous safety defect. It simply could not handle high speeds; if I recall correctly, the frame was too flexible. Several scooter-writers all found this out on their first rides; one considered himself lucky to have survived the experience. Ever since then, Piaggio has been on my "do not buy" list as well. Sure, they fixed _this_ problem. But what kind of idiot engineers miss a potentially lethal safety defect that is so glaring the _press_ picks it up on their first time out?

If I absolutely _had_ to have Italian, I'd look Vespa or Lambretta.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lapine rider for your reply. While I like the styling of the
Scarabeo 500, I do not wish any more troubles than life itself
presents. Your heads up is most appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
checked with a local aprila dealor

The local Aprila dealor told me the Scarabeos are awsome. However,
the service requirements state that there is a 3800 mile service
required where the dealor changes belts and whatever else they do.
The cost for this service is $500 every 3800 miles...ouch, that almost
13 cents a mile for service. Aprilia, kiss my ample glutius and keep
your scarabeo 500.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Mike wrote
The local Aprila dealor told me the Scarabeos are awsome. However,
the service requirements state that there is a 3800 mile service
required where the dealor changes belts and whatever else they do.
The cost for this service is $500 every 3800 miles...ouch, that almost
13 cents a mile for service
Man :!: That's nuts... unless you can do all the service yourself
.But even so, a new belt every 3800 miles :?:
IF I was thinking about a Scarabeo (am not) I would really have to look into that

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I kind of doubt that new belt is required every 3800 miles, and I do consider any comments from a "dealer" suspect anyway. Folks tend to quote their "dealer", but who did they really talk too. Sales person? Service Manager? Owner? Sales people are typically pretty ignorant about their product and tend to shovel BS at customers. If a Service Manager said this, I'd give it more weight, but I'd still look into it further.

I'm not hitting on Mike, he is just relaying what somebody told him. But the underlying question is, did the person who talked to him really know their facts?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would trust this forum over and above what any individual 'dealer' person had to say on a biking product.

At worst they know JS anyhow and at best they have lots of product lines to keep abreast of and you would be extremely fortunate to come across a dealer person who was a Burgman (or other bike) enthusiast.

What am I saying - well those guys are doing a 9 to 5 - hell they may not even like their job, whereas here - you have the collective knowledge, enthusiasm and thirst for product knowledge that is, well, unbeatable.

Just my couple of quids worth.

PS: I still cannot believe why Suzuki has not exploited the advantage offered here by being associated with the forum - even in an indirect way. It is free intelligence and no need to pay some high dollar consumer marketing panels.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would suspect someone has misplaced a decimal point. That would make it about 60,000 kilometers & likely a reasonable point to change a belt.

·
Registered
925 Posts
In the winter 2004 edition of Scoot Magazine, they did a test on all the 250cc and up scooters. The Scaraebo 500 finished very high on their list, only second behind the Burgman 650. Pretty impressive considering some of the other scoots that were tested.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Was at a dealer in Winston Salem last week and he had two of the Aprillia 500's on the floor. The new one was an 03, and the used one with 3K miles on it was either 02 or 03 (prob the latter). We asked the salesman how much for the used one and he tossed out $4200 and walked away to play with his computer. No wonder they sit one the floor!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The Atlantic 500 I test drove had three miles on it when I climbed on, and had been on the dealer's floor for over a year. It's been another nine months or so now since my ride. Out of curiosity, a couple weeks back I called and it's stlll there. If I recall correctly, he quoted me $4368 for it, but I'm not dead certain.

This is almost a love-hate thing with me. Quite honestly, the test-ride I took on the Atlantic 500 was the most pleasant scooter ride I've ever taken. It fit me better than any other, was smooth, beautiful, had all the right features, was even my absolute favorite shade of blue. Leaving it unbought for the almost-as-good Burgman wasn't easy at all.

Yet, I know I did ithe right thing. I sincerely beleive that the Japanese can learn a little about scooter design for Euro-shaped people from the Atlantic, but in turn the Italians can learn _huge_ amounts from the Japanese about quality control, general engineering and most of all service parts. Yes, I'd very much enjoy having and riding the Atlantic. But how much of the time would it actually be running? Not so very much, based on what I learned from the Web. It doesn't break down all that often, but when it does, watch out! Parts can take _forever_! And my nearest Aprilia dealer (no one else will work on them, around here) is now 150 miles away. (This one left the Aprilia business two years back, but unfortunately this one last Aprilia scooter simply will not leave him...)

A small part of me _still_ wants to buy the pretty thing, as is clear if you read carefully between the lines here. If it ever gets down to three grand, I will probably do exactly that. (I'll give it another year; I don't see anyone else breaking down the doors to buy it in the meantime.) However, I simply can't justify the expense for a mere toy that might sometimes get me to work. Plus, I already have a perfectly good Burgman that I actually _trust_.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Lapine Rider, I know what you mean. Thats the way I felt looking at the used one...aftermarket windshield, trunk, looked perfect. Written in pencil, very small, on sales tag was 3715. Have a feeling thats what they have in it, or what they will let it go for. Had it been a color I liked, I might have tossed out a figure at them, but it was dark blue. The new one was sort of a retro color of some shade of light bluish green. But I don't want to be riding up in the mountians and have a machine I can't trust.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Went by the same shop in Winston-Salem and asked about the Majestic and they are not going to carry it eather.

I was told they could not sell any thing over a 50, so they were not going to carry them.

Wish they would take Maxiscooters a little more seriously.

It took them about 10 min. before anyone would even ask if I needed help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
An Aprilia Scarabeo 500 owner

I love mine and haven't had any trouble with it, beyond what was introduced with my own mental errors. I've just had some panels replaced and it took about two months to get them.

If you want to learn about Atlantics and Scarabeos visit us here.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've ridden the 500 quite a few times overseas and like it very much, even more than the Burger in some ways, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I'd rather have a TMax though :lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
TMAX envy

I would very much like to check out a Yamaha TMAX. I'm hoping that the Majesty does well enough to drive Yamaha to bring the TMAX over.

We can only hope. Competition is good for this market.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: TMAX envy

Mybug said:
I would very much like to check out a Yamaha TMAX. I'm hoping that the Majesty does well enough to drive Yamaha to bring the TMAX over.

We can only hope. Competition is good for this market.
I agree, unfortunatly, as my wise grandpappy used to say: "Hope in one hand, sh*t in the other and see which one gets filled first". :lol:

Seriously though, it might be better if they don't import them because if history is any guide I would end up grossly overpaying for one just so that I could beat Ted to the punch.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hey Bleeder...when you gonna install that Malossi you bought a year ago?
Better hurry before you swap the 400 for a T-Max.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not until after I finish the new house and then flee the country for a month or so. And in any case I wouldn't be allowed to sell the 400 as it has become a community entitlement :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mybug,
How are you doing after you accident? Hopefully you've been back in the saddle and the replacement panels look great. Poor Billmeek (one of the forum moderators) has had to wait almost as long to get his Brugman 400 fixed as it took for your panels to arrive. Thought Asian was supposed to be faster at part replacement the Italian (maybe a fluke). The S500 is sure a sweet looking machine. Heard a rumor that the '05's will only available in Cambridge white (but the Aprilia web site for '05's lists 3 colors available). Still waiting to see what a new Burgman 650 looks like when they come out, to compare it to the S500 whos lines do something for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts