Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's not really helpful. Why is it a scam?

I agree it's suspicious and I've asked for info and where it's located and it's condition, but just by itself there is no way to tell if it's authentic or not.

Do you have further info? Please share.

BTW, another ebay ad fof B400 was pulled, and I've gotten two emails from the seller with a fixed and unbelievable price offering to use Square Trade for "escrow". Now that smells like scam. :lol:

"Hello,

The scooter condition is great,still under warranty (extended at 2 years).No damage,no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, and it is as advertised. The scooter is an US model with US specs,it passed the emissions test and comes with all the documents you need to register the scooter.It has a Clear Title and it is in Showroom condition.The title will be signed and nothorized in your name as soon as the payment will be completed.
The final price that i want for the scooter is $3200 ( including shipping and
handling ).
I am located in NYC area.
From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay,I prefer the payment to be hold by a third party and only after you receive the scooter, the payment has to be released to me.

Let me know !"

and

"Hello,
As you can see,my auction ended and I still didn't manage to sell my scooter.Since you're one of the few people interested on my Burgman,I am willing to negotiate with you.
I need to know your offer,and also your name and shipping address,so I can give them to Square Trade,the third party who will intermediate our transaction.
Thank you! "

This was for a 2003 650. I like the "including shipping and handling" part. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 day auction, private auction, same mail server as the 650 ad. And to top it off, I recall seeing the auction before. It's a stolen ad.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
No location on the bike, no payment terms other than Paypal, feedback score private, no reserve, $99 opening bid.

Smells fishy to me, I sent an email requesting more pics, the location of the bike, & a query as to whether escrow payment would be acceptable.

We'll see what the reply is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me guess. NYC area, showroom condition and a reminder that goes something like "third party payment, you get signed title on payment and they don't receive money untill you get the bike"

This has scam written all over it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The old saw; "if it's too good to be true it isn't" seems applicable

I've been an eBayer for nearly 3 years. I follow bikes and cars. I have bought bikes and cars on eBay.

Trust me there are no "Steal Deals" on eBay motors. The final price on nearly all bikes/cars rises to a "Fair Value" based on age/condition/mileage.

You can find "good" deals but not "steal" deals. I bought my 2003 650 June of 2004. No nicks, no dings, 1000 miles. I did a "Buy It Now" $5250. Ballpark 30% discount to new for a 1 year old not even broken in. I thought good deal, but not a steal deal.

I do not know how Burger Kings compare to Goldwings on depreciation, but ballpark for a Goldwing:

15% on drive away,5% more end of first year, 7% year 2, 6% year 3, 4% year 4, 3% year 5. Total end of year 5 is 40%.

These percents are applied to what you really paid not MSRP. Standard discount, outside of California, is 8-10% off MSRP. I know nothing about the NEW Buger King market.

Food for thought. Nearly all bikes are "hobbies/toys". Add in interest, insurance,fuel,maintenance etc and you find your True Cost of Ownership is far higher than most assume. But worth every penny in my humble opinion.

My mind is numb from "ciphering" as Cousin Jethro used to say.

Bill

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill,

I agree totally. I bought my 650 on eBay not too long ago. I was very fortunate & found a good deal from an honest seller in AZ. I have run down way more scams than deals, & I've seen quite a few, this one stinks to high heaven, not so much as what's there, as by what's not there. I just noticed this user signed up yesterday!? & knew to keep his lack of feedback private?!

We'll see.....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
mikerides said:
3 day auction, private auction, same mail server as the 650 ad. And to top it off, I recall seeing the auction before. It's a stolen ad.
OK. How did you determine e-mail server?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
OK, I got the reply from this latest guy. The original poster had it nailed. Anyone doubt that this is from a scammer?

"Hi ,
I am located in NYC area.Shipping will be done by Freight Truck.
The scooter condition is great,still under warranty (extended at 2 years).No damage,no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, and it is as advertised.

Regards! "

Hey, shipping will be done by Freight Truck, boy that's re-assuring. And all of these guys have sprung for the 2 year extended warranties.....

8) 8) 8) 8)

Ken
:eek:gre:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The same exact, verbatim reply I got, with no reference at all to my request for escrow, & now this listing has been pulled.

Hmmm, I wonder....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Trust me, it is fake. There will be a SquareTrade looking website, seeming to back up the claims made. It, too, is a fraud. If you check the (given) seller name on ebay, the record of items sold will be paltry & irrelevant. And remember that SquareTrade doesn't work the way he says. Insist on Escrow.com.

Study the diction of the nice-guy seller; the guy's speech patterns suggest eastern europe. Whatsay, Brian? If you can, download a trial copy of Email Tracker Pro and check the real location of the sender (Romania, maybe). Remember the statement of Pastor Bob: "Even if you're only paranoid... somebody might really be out to get ya."

Hmm, yes, there really was a Pastor Bob.

Ah, the avatar change: comfy looking woman gossiping with her neighbor, over one building and down one floor, in Riomaggiore, Liguria, Italy, June 2005. Maybe excited about the guy across the street with the fancy camcorder aimed in her direction....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I got this from him this morning. This cat can't even keep up with his own lies:

Date: 2005/08/13 Sat AM 05:50:57 EDT
To: wyldman
Subject: Re: Question for item #4568273207 - 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400

Hello,

As you can see,my auction ended because i have some problems with my account and I still have to sell my scooter.Since you're one of the few people interested on my Honda Reflex,I am willing to negotiate with you.
Let me know your offer and mabe we have a deal.

Thank you!

Even after he gets his ad pulled, he persists. Desperation, I guess. I wrote him back & told him I had no interest in a Reflex. Let's see how much of his time I can waste.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wyldman said:
I got this from him this morning. This cat can't even keep up with his own lies:

Date: 2005/08/13 Sat AM 05:50:57 EDT
To: wyldman
Subject: Re: Question for item #4568273207 - 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400

Hello,

As you can see,my auction ended because i have some problems with my account and I still have to sell my scooter.Since you're one of the few people interested on my Honda Reflex,I am willing to negotiate with you.
Let me know your offer and mabe we have a deal.

Thank you!

Even after he gets his ad pulled, he persists. Desperation, I guess. I wrote him back & told him I had no interest in a Reflex. Let's see how much of his time I can waste.
Heh! I got the same post this morning and I was just about to post it when I saw the Wyldman's post. "Um... Let's see what kind of scooter was I scamming...." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken (The real-deal Wildman) :lol:

:eek:gre:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts