Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share will other B650 drivers, I was almost rear ended last summer on a sunny Texas day. A peril on the B650 for the uninitiated, I find is if you rely too much on the engine braking before the standard brake lights come on when actuating the brakes, folks behind you won't know how fast you are slowing using engine brake alone. Last summer and I will never forget it, without scanning the rear view mirror I came up on a red light and engine braked, it it really slows you, right? The danger is the rear standard brake lights won't come on until you actually use the brakes. Last second, a pickup truck stopped just in time and he was approaching fast. It is because he did not see my brake lights come on as the engine was slowing me quickly before I actuated the stock brakes for the last few feet to stop. That is hazard on any B650 to new riders, on any sunny day - if you do a replay on what I did. It was my first summer and first B650 so I was a newbie to this type of scoot.

I installed this light, search on Amazon for:
Feniex T3 Perimeter Mount LED (Red)

Now I am much more cautions how I use the engine brake approaching a stop, when I do apply the rear brakes, this LED comes on 1 second intervals as long as brake is applied. I have noticed folks behind me stay back, and they see this flashing light before they see the stock brake lights on sunny days. You cannot use strobe mode as a brake light, but the law does not say you can't apply your brakes on and off for 1 second intervals either. No issues with police, as they have also been behind me when this AUX LED is flashing while braking and stopped. In Texas, just make sure you don't use one of the 12 strobe modes, there is one simple 1 second on / off pattern that I use. Much safer now. I am looking for a inertia switch that can control this AUX led light, that would be the best solution. Best $30 I ever spent for safety and being seen. Hope it helps! :angel

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Nifty adapter & probably helps, but lights still won't save ya from stupidity.

I was rear ended at a stop light, fortunately at low speed (or I would have abandoned ship, I saw him coming).
The idiot admitted to the cop that he was under his dash...cop had black tape over his badge, & kept trying to get me to let it go.
Never did give said idiot a ticket...Judging by how things rolled I'm guessing mommy was some local big shot, cop's wife/mom or something & said idiot was a known issue.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I actually use compression braking as much as possible. I don't want my rear brake light to light up.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Here's the reason behind my madness, and I'll say up front that it has worked extremely well for over 160K. :)

When you follow someone who you realize has no brake lights, what do you do? You back off. The only way you can tell they are slowing down is to watch the vehicle closely. Most drivers are lazy and don't want to do that for long at all. So you back off and hope either the car without brake lights turns off the road, or someone gets between the two of you and it is their problem to keep from hitting that vehicle without brake lights.

It doesn't take braking fully to wake people up that are following you. All you need to do, is to slow down for any reason, even if only a few mph.

The first year I had my B400, I used to lightly apply my brakes to warn people that I was slowing down, even if I was using engine braking. I found drivers followed me closely, knowing they had plenty of warning. I also found that I used my first set of brakes up very quickly. :( Once I started using engine braking...people dropped way back.

Lastly, when you're stopped at a traffic light with or without your hand on the brake, have an escape route picked.

Chris

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Agree with the escape route planning as you come up to a stop. Very important.

I also agree with an intermittent brake light LED bar. In Iowa, as also in most other states in the USA (I actually looked this up in many state law books), a brake light can flash for up to 6 seconds and then must become solid on. I work for the State of Iowa so know where to look to find the state code (law) for anything. On my last 2 bikes, the ST and CTX, I installed a LED light bar that was rear running light and also flashing brake light that would flash for 6 seconds and then go solid or constant on bright. I intend to do the same for my B650.

As to those other cagers who follow too close asleep at the wheel and don't pay enough attention to their primary task (driving) and have a tendency to almost run into my rear when I stop. I am always attentive to that possibility from thousands of miles of experience and always make myself aware of who is behind and what they are doing as much as about those in front and to each side (ever have someone try to change lanes into the one you occupy while you are right next to their front doors? you will if not yet). I consider all of those so called drivers to suffer from the same ID10T syndrome. They are worthy of the designation of BDC. It's why we must ride like we are invisible... because we are. Only when you make yourself obnoxious to others do they notice you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In The Complete Motorcycle Nomad, Roger Lovin advised us to "Ride like you're Custer at Little Big Horn--they're all around you and they're out to get you." I have never found any reason to doubt that advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a 12 LED "Knight Riderz Sequential LED with Flashing Brake Alert". It has a "Knight Rider" side-to-side sequenced running light. When the brakes are applied it will flash about 6 times then it goes on solid. You can find it on Amazon for $29.95 with free shipping. I've had city cops and highway patrol behind me and I've had no issues.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I had that Knight Riderz bar, the 21 LED bar, on my ST1100. No problems with the state patrol here nor in a few surrounding states.
BUT, I did hear from a resident of SD that the highway patrol will pull you over for one of those if it is running that "chaser" light sequence (his experience). Too much like some of their light bars so they don't like them. Wouldn't surprise me if one or two other states won't like them either.

On my CTX I added the 12 LED Knight Riderz without the sequential function. Still would flash for 6 seconds then go on solid. Thinking of adding one or the other to my B650.

Bought mine at Custom Dynamics:
https://www.customdynamics.com/category/led-light-bars/knight-riderz

·
Registered
119 Posts
Closing the throttle is inevitable. I wish they can change the software to reduce engine braking. Going for your license and having to do that u turn within 24 feet (VA) is tricky with engine braking. The other problem (in my view) regarding the strong engine braking, is that I believe that is the reason why the “stop bolt” on the front “variator” weares our. Snappy excelaration and quick throttle closure, hence engine braking, is the reason

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are aftermarket brake lights available with accelerometers built in. They show yellow when you roll off the throttle and flash red when you brake - the flashing rate depends on how fast you are decelerating. Some are pricey, some not so much. That said, I put a Whelen M7 on the back of my bike and wired it into the brake light via a relay. Very very bright red brake light that flashes 4 times then solid (or all solid or 157 other patterns of flashing, all of which might be illegal in a brake light). As an added benefit, if I turn this super bright light on, the bike accelerates faster.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Closing the throttle is inevitable. I wish they can change the software to reduce engine braking. Going for your license and having to do that u turn within 24 feet (VA) is tricky with engine braking. The other problem (in my view) regarding the strong engine braking, is that I believe that is the reason why the “stop bolt” on the front “variator” weares our. Snappy excelaration and quick throttle closure, hence engine braking, is the reason

If you practice using the throttle like an electric motors controller, keep the engine speed up a bit and trail the rear brake in a slow speed corner you can do the 'BOX' in the road test the same as a clutch bike.

Jack rabbit starts and engine braking may have some to do with the Primary Pulley Stopper Bolt. But some members have babied ther Burgmans and have more wear than others that hot rod theirs. I NEVER baby mine and even use manual mode for extra engine effect at times and my bolt has small knicks but nothing alarming.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have Hyper lights 3-way light kit. https://hyperlites.com/?page_id=268

Plus Admore Large light bar. https://admorelighting.com/product/admore-smt-light-bar-large/

Also Admore brake/tail-light kit for my Givi V46 topcase. https://admorelighting.com/product/led-light-kit-for-givi-v46-top-case/

And I also have a pair of modulating LED brake/tail-light bulbs that I got from superbrightleds.com

My Burgman looks like a Christmas tree that's gone nuclear when I hit my brakes. Even with that impressive light show I've still come close to getting rear ended. Always have an escape route planed, it saved my ass in the past.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That is simply because you have not mastered how to control your engine braking ! :frown

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I often activate my brake lights to let people behind me know I intend to slow down on bike/car/truck even if I don’t use the brakes.

My helmet has a “brake light” on the back (actually accelerometer activated) and I think high level brake lights are a good idea.

Technically flashing lights, other than amber ones, are illegal on UK vehicles except for emergency services.

·
Registered
71 Posts
>My helmet has a “brake light” on the back (actually accelerometer activated)

—Got a link on where to buy this?? Sounds interesting

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Mine is Nolan N104 absolute Hemet with an N-Com B5l unit installed

Brake light runs off Bluetooth/intercom battery. I get several days out of it even using gps and phone through it.
Not cheap but a very nice helmet with exceptional wide view and aproved with flip up or down, not so great for round shaped heads.

Nolan tend to make scooter helmets so they are good for upright sitting position rather than the more usual racer orientated format. Ventilation is fairly good but not as good as the N102 I had previously which was outstanding with the visor closed and vents open.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
I have a solid white GMAX 54S that has a light in the back. Stock in has two flash modes but Revzilla sells the kit to hook it wireless-ly to the bike. Sort of like this Pink Ribbon Riders GM54
Gmax 54.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts