Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've posted - I've been laying low and being shy.

Bryna and I decided to switch b the scoots - I now have the blue one and she has the silver one. We are now each riding the ones we actually own. We switched the names too - so I am still riding a scoot named Bucky.
I finally figured out a way to rig my satellite radio to the scoot. I put pix in the gallery.
I attached a pair of "foldable" speakers I found at Radio Shack to the handlebar. Then I attached the satellite antenna "end" to the windshield with velcro. You have to use an FM receiver as a pass through to the speakers, so I bought a Walkman that has FM/AM/TV/Weatherband (so I can use it for other things too). I attached this to the left side of the handlebars/left brake fluid holder? with the rubberized strap from my MP3 player (which I can also rig up if I prefer to have just "my tunes"). I put velcro on the bottom of my satellite receiver docking station and velcro "tags" on the top of the receiver itself. I then put the "opposite" velcro portion on the top of the dash and the windshield. This holds the satellite receiver on. The satellite receiver is plugged into the outlet in the glove box. The speakers are running on batteries until I can get one of those "dual plug" adapters.
I'd love to hear opinions :roll: and what other people have done.
So far so good - but I do plan to get better speakers so I can turn the volume up more. I can't hear the radio above 45 mph. If anybody knows of a good place to get speakers, let me know.
Tall Woman[/url]

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I can't help much with the speaker issue, but it is good to see you post again! Haven't heard much from Byrna lately either.

Jac Vinson is selling a rig now that includes speakers. A few folks have installed it and given some feedback. I'm not sure if the speakers are way better than what you are using, or where he sources them, but that might be one avenue to explore. I just haven't been following it too closely. In general, I think that once you get over a certain speed, helmet speakers are the best option. But you can probably improve some over that 45 mph with the right external speaker setup.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Have you considered helmet-mounted speakers? To me, these types of speakers are the only way to go on a bike. I recently bought a set from Aerostich ($22) and they work fine with the battery-powered AM/FM I have mounted on my 650. They don't have the sound quality like a $150 set but they still sound good. They plug into the radio's headphone jack.
Wind noise is no problem. I keep the volume set relatively low and have no problems at speeds up to 60 - 65. They also sell a coiled cord ($9 - item #3811) that connects the speakers to the radio so it's no problem getting on and off the bike and walking around it without disconnecting. Very simple to install the speakers in any helmet including my HJC Symax with the movable chin bar.
Take a look at http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?pr ... 337&page=1

Don

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to the Autostitch site and the earphones look perfect for what I need. Good site with lots of good stuff. It's amazing what's out there.
Just to get everyone up to speed - Bryna and I are enjoying the Burgies and the summer. With one exception - the engine went on Bryna's scooter (Sushi) on the way back from Tennessee two weeks ago. She was at a gathering of an online woman's motorcycle group there. On her way back, the one part of the trip she would be alone, and the engine cut off on Rt81 in WV. Fortunately, the town had a motorsports store that was at least familiar with the Burgies. They gave a temporary diagnosis that the engine was completely shot. But it turns out that only parts of the engine were ruined so its not a complete wash. Our local dealer (they "sponsor" our riding group "The Motley Cruisers") is working on the repairs. Turns out the problem was that it ran out of oil. No signs, no symptoms, no indications in the gauges. Bryna is a stickler about watching the gauges and the engine temp gauge did not go anywhere near the red. The check engine light didn't come on until the engine cut off. She was lucky no one was behind her on the interstate. She was able to get off the highway safely. Got to look at the bright side - at least she's not paying for repairs and sitting in a hospital somewhere in WV. She hopes to have the scoot back in about 10 days. I hope so - we miss riding together. At least in the meantime I have my satellite radio to keep me company :p
Thanks again for the suggestions.
TallWoman

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
tallwoman said:
Turns out the problem was that it ran out of oil. No signs, no symptoms, no indications in the gauges.
Sounds exactly like what happened to me. That's one club where I wouldn't mind being the sole member. Hope Bryna gets her ride back that quick and doesn't cost her a fortune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts