·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003
Scootercade ends in tragedy
By John Rankine

A Texas man was killed last Wednesday when he lost control of his
scooter and hit a Dodge Durango head on. The accident occurred on US62W, at the curve near Tad’s Quickstop at 5 p.m.
Herbert Trevathan, 70, of San Antonio, Texas, was pronounced dead at
the scene and taken to Nelson’s Funeral Home in Berryville.
Tyler and Tanya Ellis of Enid, Okla., said they were driving west with their eight-month old baby when they saw a man coming downhill in the oncoming lane lose control of his scooter. “We applied the brakes, but there was nothing we could do except watch him cross lanes and slide directly into us. He was going way too fast,” Tanya Ellis said.
After the crash, the couple immediately checked on their baby who was strapped in the back seat, called 911, and went for their emergency kit.
Tyler Ellis is a firefighter/EMT and Tanya is a physical therapist and
former respiratory assistant. “We had our gloves on and felt a slight
pulse for about a minute-and-a-half and then it was gone. We saw
extensive injury to the man’s head. He was not wearing a helmet.”
The Ellis family was not hurt but were visibly shaken. The young
couple were in town on vacation and planning to stay through the
weekend.
Trevathan was in Eureka Springs participating in the 12th annual
Scootercade.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heard about this....what a shame....Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Note that this was in 2003. Not this year. It was the only fatality Scootercade has had in 14 years in Eureka Springs. Still a tragedy for sure, but I just wanted to clarify.

Rt 62W is loaded with challenging curves - and there are very few roads in the area that aren't curvy. Yet I did see many riders not wearing riding gear, and way too many not wearing helmets. I'm not passing judgement, but it did concern me. I hope everyone did make it home safely this year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hmmm.....interesting. There was a "bike" accident this past Wednesday on 62 Hwy...was assuming that this was the same one...thanks for the heads up....Steve

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
is there a particular reason that someone would post information on a two year old accident when no one has inquired about it?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
As they used to say at the cheap theaters:
"It's still first run until you've seen it."
:lol:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
ha ha your right, maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg of recycled news!!!! bring it on, we need more exciting nuggets to keep us all inspired about our riding!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Herb Trevathan was, in fact, wearing a helmet. The helmet, however, was not discovered until the next day when it was found in a ditch. The impact knocked the helmet off of Daddy, and it was found with the chin strap still buckled. As Herb's daughter, I would appreciate it if you would update the post with the information that he WAS wearing his helmet. Daddy ALWAYS wore his helmet even if he was just going around the block. He was a safety instructor, and always told me to ride safe. I bought my Genuine Buddy scooter on 8/13/2007 which was exactly 4 years after his death. I, like my father, ALWAYS wear a helmet.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Andy,

This post was from 7 years ago. It would be easy to see how there would be that confusion. Like any rider, It is never easy to hear when someone goes down for the last time, but it was based on the information at hand. It was not intended to be anything bad, they were just passing on some information and stressing the need to wear a helmet. As in your father's case, it does not always mean you walk away. We always pass things like this along on our website. I see you have just joined and somehow come across a search of the name. Please stay and enjoy yourself, there is a large group of riders in Texas as you may meet many of them yourself, just introduce yourself and belly-up to the bar...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts