Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Frank from Jacksonville, with another fitting question. The dealer tells me that the seat back (hump) part comes off and so it seems like it will. He tells me some people ride it that way, especially if they have long legs. He said that the bike would give me a better fit. So my question is; is this true? Do people ride without the "butt" hump?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, the butt bumper will come right off with a couple of retaining screws you can access via the trunk. And yes, many long legged people ride it that way.

But what many do, as well as I, is repurpose the butt bumper as a back rest via a riser. The angle of the hardware will put the bumper back about an inch or so and the riser takes it up about six inches. This helps tremendously for both legroom and saddle time, as it will bear about 10-20% of your weight.

This is the one I use, but there are others on the market. Members will make their recommendations (we all have our favorite). I prefer the 3 brothers because it is made of ply wood and is very strong. You can put a lot of weight on it without fear of it bending like the metal ones.

http://www.3brothersperformance.com/

The other nice thing with most all the various models, is they utilize the original hardware. So it will still move forward and aft, should a shorter legged person ride your scoot.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great

You sir, have made the Burgman a possibility again! I was getting worried, that it was not going to fit at all!

·
Registered
143 Posts
If your going to spend a serious amount of time in the saddle your going to have to invest in a aftermarket seat like a Corbin or have Cary , from the forum here, modify your seat. The stock seat is just plain uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My wife and I both have the same backrest. It is the first and best upgrade we made.
Thanks! I may need to do it. I know that I need to raise the seat surface a bit, going to try pads but may have the seat reupholstered once I figure the best height. With the seat higher it makes sense to raise the backrest to match if not be higher. I don't own my Burgman yet, just test rode it yesterday, buying from a friend.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If your going to spend a serious amount of time in the saddle your going to have to invest in a aftermarket seat like a Corbin or have Cary , from the forum here, modify your seat. The stock seat is just plain uncomfortable.
Agree that the burgman seat is uncomfortable. Disagree on the aftermarket seat.

I've had two Corbin saddles costing $1000 and neither was as as comfy as the stock seat with an Airhawk seat pad + backrest. It is The best $75 I've ever spent on a bike.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Seat confort is very personal thing, like many here me find the Burgman seat to be confortable but little hard, will not change seat just because of this when the Airhawk make all the difference in confort for long distance riding as a Russell Day long or corbin would do but cost 10x the price.

Here many example of raised butt rest and many mod seat all done by a BUSA member here Cary Vincent owner of Burgmanseat.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you want "Taller", I suggest going with Corbin. I had one of their seats before and could barely toe the ground. If you want a lot more leg room, I suggest the Corbin long. Removing the stock butt pad only gives you about 2 more inches, which is enough in most cases. With a 29 inseam, I find the seat with stock backrest removed to be the perfect length.

One funny thing, at a rally 2 years ago, there was one guy who had about 5 of those 2inch cushions stacked on his seat. I said he loved it and I never saw them fall off. He was a bit tall to. I would guess around 6'3 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts