Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always a group that takes the time to put on the
padded pants, boots, jacket and helmet. This is group 1 who
integrates safety into their every day life.

Goup 2 can be seen wheeling down the street in short, tshirt,
and flip flops, usually with a surboard under one arm.

The same is true in boating. A merry group of friends and I were
pulling crab pots 16 miles off shore on a huge cabin cruiser.. Being group 1 people, we were wearing our life jackets with emergency beacons attached. The group 2s were wandering around in their t-shirts.

In our case, the rudder shaft broke and lotsa of water started coming
in. We made it back to the dock, but it was close.

In summary, regardless of the sport, there are safety standards that
people follow, or not follow. I would have never guessed that this
45' cabin boat might have left us swimming in 52 degree water 16 miles
off shore.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sport season

Down here we have a sport season. People are out there in
kayaks

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
seatec.
Living in Canada you may not know this ,

But Californians are different then the rest of USA :lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
i think i'm a group 1.5

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
seatec said:
Why would you be pulling crab pots in a cabin cruser, is it legal to do?. Just wanderning, I am a lobster fisherman from Nova Scotia.
Are you saying that in Nova Scotia the government mandates what kind of boat you can use for various types of fishing?

While a "Down East" lobster boat might be more efficient than a pontoon boat for taking lobster, I can't imagine a law saying you must use a purpose built lobster boat.

We have a 26 foot Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge cruiser. It's the only boat (other than the dingy) that we have, so we use it for day cruising, weekending, salmon fishing, crabbing, SCUBA diving... might even do a weeklong coastal cruise to British Columbia someday, although I'd prefer to win the Lottery and by a Nordic Tugs 37 for that.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
There are regulations on boat size, i think you cant go over certain length for lobster fishing, 45ft i think. Off shore lobster fishing can go larger. My groundfish licence is for under 40ft, if i want bigger boat, i can use it for groundfish. Gov got everything screwed up here in Canada. Few years ago I decided I wanted trike, so i built one out off VW and Yamaha front end, got fiberglass body shiped from Cal. Could not regester it in Nova Scotia, but in any other province it was legal. Sold it to a guy in PEI and he can come over and drive it in Nova Scotia, does that make sence. On the bright side I fish lobsters for 2 months and get UIC for 9 months, if i catch enough fish, if fishing is bad, i cant get UIC, when I really need it :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts