Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a little concerned about riding at xpressway speeds wearing only an armored jacket and jeans so I ordered some riding pants. Got them yesterday. These are Fieldsheer Titanium Air riding pants and I got them from a store via Amazon.com. These are summer riding pants with plenty of armor in all the right places. Price was $79 plus shipping. Now I will feel more confident and protected when riding at any speed (within reason of course).

Yesterday I took my 650 on a short trip down the expressway (I10) for about ten miles. I held my own quite nicely at 70 mph but there were so many tractor trailers flying by, it got a bit rough. I think there are enough state roads around where I can take it easy at 60mph or less. Better scenery too.

Anyway, my next purchase will be some riding boots. Been shopping around but so far I haven't found exactly what I have been looking for.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good riding boot?

Thanks.

ZH

P.S. I ordered a Clearview XL windshield with vent yesterday :) :) . I talked with Craig and he was very helpful. Can't wait until I can stop the "helmet buffeting" at higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Zaikas Hubby wrote

"Anyone have any suggestions on a good riding boot?"

I wear Wolverine (or Bates) Floaters. Zipper makes 'em easy on and off and they feel great. I got them on sale at a local army navy store for $40 so I bought 2 pair.

Here's a line to what they look like
http://www.shoe-store.net/content/mens/ ... e-zip.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
Riding Boots

ZH,

I use Oxtar Infinity boots. They are completly waterproof with shin & ankle protection & easy on-off adjustable clips. They also have slip resistance soles. I have worn them all day long & they are very comfortable. Road Runner reviewed them in one of it's issues & were highly recommended. They are a bit pricey, but you pay for what you get.

Butch

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I just purchased a pair of HD boots called "Drive" yesterday. They are lightweight, very comfortable, over the ankle boots and I found them for $64.99 w/free shipping from Bootbay.com. The store where I tried them on wanted $84.50.

Oil resistant lug soles, & a very nice leather upper, along with comfort & protection made these an ideal choice for me. They are avaiable with or without steel toe covers. The steel-toe version is $66.75, again w/free shipping.

Hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I just purchased these side zip tactical boots by Bates. side zip tactical boots by Bates
They are lightweight, comfortable and ride cooler than my old Redhead boots. I found them in black at Bass Pro Shop but would have preferred silver to match the Burgy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want some real motorcycle boots, I recommend Sidi combat boots or any boots from the BMW line. They cost more than some regular work boots, but it's worth it. I've had my Sidi for 8 years, still in a perfect condition and I've bought a pair of BMW boots for $189.00, just because I wanted something lighter for summer. If you can afford it, you won't regret.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I will not go anywhere without my Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit. It is a 1-piece, zip-up suit that goes right over my business suit. It also has very dense body armour and is quite comfortable in the south Texas heat & humidity. There are pockets all over the outside for my wallet, office keys, etc as well. I purchased a hi-viz yellow, a very obvious colour that truly improves the ability for someone to see me (then my nice ride, of course). Being seen is the first step to safety with other vehicles on the freeway. Although I keep a healthy respect for the other vehicles on the road, I feel much safer on the freeway wearing my Stitch than my Rocket.
As far as boots go, I found the Sidi boots fit very nice and are quite comfotrable. Although the Stitch and my boots were pricey, safety & fit were my #1 priority. 8)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Blexcroid-

Where did you get your Aerostitch suit, local or web? If web, could you provide a link?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Blexcroid said:
I will not go anywhere without my Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit. It is a 1-piece, zip-up suit that goes right over my business suit. It also has very dense body armour and is quite comfortable in the south Texas heat & humidity.
snipped
I've got to give you credit. I bought an Aerostitch suit this year and I love it too BUT, the Jersey heat/humidity is just too much for me to wear it. I had a Phoenix jacket and bought pants to match but also hate wearing those, not only due to the weight but also putting the pants on, standing on one foot etc.

The 'stich suit is just soooo easy to get on and off it really spoils you from wearing anything else. If they'd make a summer riding suit in the same design as the Roadcrafter, I'd buy it in a minute.

For anyone looking http://www.aerostich.com is the site and they always seem to have sales on suits people returned so, if you are a standard size, you can get a really good deal.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My First Gear mesh jacket and Olympia mesh pants are real nice in hot weather. Unfortunately I didn't have them with me yesterday down in Southern Kansas & Oklahoma. (The weather forecast I based my packing for the trip on was inaccurate.) My First Gear Magnum jacket with the vents unzipped & Draggin' Jeans were fine up into the low eighties, but became oppressive as the temps climbed into the ninties. I was very uncomfortable. I think mesh is the only way to go in the higher temps.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
JerseyBiker said:
I've got to give you credit. I bought an Aerostitch suit this year and I love it too BUT, the Jersey heat/humidity is just too much for me to wear it. I had a Phoenix jacket and bought pants to match but also hate wearing those, not only due to the weight but also putting the pants on, standing on one foot etc.

The 'stich suit is just soooo easy to get on and off it really spoils you from wearing anything else. If they'd make a summer riding suit in the same design as the Roadcrafter, I'd buy it in a minute.
In the 95+ degF Houston heat & humidity I must admit I will occasionally wear my Joe Rocket, but I've actually found the Stitch to be cooler. All the vents they have designed into it make it incredibly comfortable, except in the most smothering heat & humidity. The materials also seem to "breathe" and let heat & perspiration out while staying dry in a rain.

I purchased the Hi-Viz colour, a sort-of florescent yellow-green, for the safety aspects of the colour. Initially I was a little embarrased to wear it, but I have had more motorists complement the visibility of it. Safety will win out for me every time.

Jersey - like you, I appreciate the ease of ingress & egress! I get to work, take it off, and I'm ready to conduct business as soon as I get rid of my helmet hair. :lol: It hangs on the back of my office door until I'm ready to leave. BTW - Thanks so much for posing the Aerostitch site!

The Aerostitch link as well as other great links are on Don Arthur's website at http://www.donarthur.net under the "Links" section. I have found all sorts of nifty gadgets and sound advice from his site, including automatic turn signal cancelling units, etc. He is the Surgeon General of the Navy and an avid biker.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The article "Road Rash DESICION" in the July 2005 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News should convince anyone of the necessity to wear protective clothing. If I had anything to do with the Motorcycle Safety Council, I'd have it mandatory reading for anyone getting on two wheels.
I know you can lead horses to water, but you can't make them drink. I just cringe when I see these Crotch Rocket riders in shorts, flip-flops, and a ball cap on back-wards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts