Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a roofing nail in the rear tire of my 2018 400AN. I researched it and decided rather than patch or plug to get a new tire mounted. But they can't do it for 2 weeks, so backed up! Tire holding pressure with no problems. I ride often as it is a commuter. But is it safe to ride with a nail for 2 weeks?

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I’d look for another repair shop....two weeks to mount a tire is poor customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Daris, but I live so far out in the woods that the nearest Shop is an hour and a half drive, and the next one over 2 hours in the other direction. It's called STUCK! So, not happy, but, what about the safety issue, which you did not address?

·
Registered
713 Posts
The nail may snag and get dragged out at an angle causing quick deflation. Plug it yourself. I use the stop and go kit lasts for the life of the tyre. Or you can get the sticky string one does the same job I wouldnt recommend leaving the nail in. Just my opinion of course

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I envy you on being that far in the woods. Were you going to take you rim off your bike yourself or have them do it ? I’d go to Google Map and enter tires and find the nearest Independent tire shop and have them plug it. What percentage of tread life and age is the tire ? If relatively new you might get a dose of “Ride On” to add another layer of protection to the plug. Member maccecht always gives good advice too.

Reactions: maccecht

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was in the gas station business in the 70's and I have plugged MANY nail holes with the sticky strings. Kits come with a reamer and a plug tool and strings. I would not ride with a tire having a nail since Murphy's Law says kinda it will go flat halfway between town and way out in the woods... in the dark... in the rain... with an escaped dangerous mental patient in your area. Lottery tickets are a safer way to gamble.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
and God said, "let there be sticky string so man can help himself instead of bothering ME all the time"

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
this is all a moot point if the nail is in the sidewall, park it !

·
Registered
255 Posts
As others have advised, if the nail is in the tread, use a plug to seal the hole. The plug kits are quite cheap, do the job and are far safer than running with a nail still in the tyre. 😕
Its also a good idea to carry a plug kit along with a cheap 12 compressor....especially as you mention you live out in the wild 👍 Or use a pre puncture tyre seal.........

By the way, what do you class as a roofing nail ? How long are they and what diameter ? :unsure:

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
As others have advised, if the nail is in the tread, use a plug to seal the hole. The plug kits are quite cheap, do the job and are far safer than running with a nail still in the tyre. 😕
Its also a good idea to carry a plug kit along with a cheap 12 compressor....especially as you mention you live out in the wild 👍 Or use a pre puncture tyre seal.........

By the way, what do you class as a roofing nail ? How long are they and what diameter ? :unsure:
About 3mm in diameter.
Senco_Senco Smooth Shank Roofing Coil Nails.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts