Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alway seeking buffet free comfort.....on scooters that are designed wrong---I have had 4 Helix/ ReFlex?2 Burgman 400/SilverWing600/TMAX all purchased new----design problem=your nose is too far from front of shield. My baseline for comparision is Heinrich equipped BMW/HD with Wintershield and tin leg shields(last available in 60's) and P series Vespa with proper height shield.

So for Burgman I have tried Givi non-adjustable stock and cut for see over/Givi adjustable(twice)...too high for me and good see over in some conditions/stock with Laminar lip and or MRA spoiler=no good. Present 7Jurock in stock height.-----which works fine but.....at 65-70 mph still some spill over and buffeting, making my 3/4 helmet r style of riding, with safety glasses not as pleasant as it should be. Of 2 helmets I use that have face shield--new Bell pit boss and Fulmer with faceshield----the combo really only works with the Fulmer for comfort and then you are always flipping shield up when you slow down and need to look around.

TODAY SAENG welting

I know DABOO used it. My luck with it in past not so great on BMW R80RT----right right now may only need higher push of air up max. 1 inch. Experiences??

·
Registered
239 Posts
I used the Saeng for the buffeting around the shoulders, and a Laminar Lip for the pressure on the back of my head. It's not perfect, but I use to ride with a half helmet and sunglasses and it didn't bother me. The air flow is fairly smooth, but if you want it dead still behind the screen, you aren't going to get it with this combo

I did have to cut away the Saeng where the Laminar Lip attaches. Good luck~!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I bought the Saeng Micro-swirl Edging as a stop-gap measure till more aftermarket windshield options were available. I found it worked well enough that I couldn't justify a new windshield. The edging's metal core added stiffness to the windshield.

Saeng claims it will divert air out around your windshield like having another 1-2 inches larger windshield. I really couldn't tell if that claim was true, or not. I felt like I'd be spending more time trying to figure that out...and not looking where I was going. I just accepted that it did the job I needed it to do.

You'll get opinions both for it, and against it. To mitigate the risk for you, I recommend getting their "Grade 2" edging. It supposedly is used, but it looked like new to me. The cost is half of the new edging. The only drawback is that you can't return it.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Daboo said:
I bought the Saeng Micro-swirl Edging as a stop-gap measure till more aftermarket windshield options were available. I found it worked well enough that I couldn't justify a new windshield. The edging's metal core added stiffness to the windshield.

Saeng claims it will divert air out around your windshield like having another 1-2 inches larger windshield. I really couldn't tell if that claim was true, or not. I felt like I'd be spending more time trying to figure that out...and not looking where I was going. I just accepted that it did the job I needed it to do.

You'll get opinions both for it, and against it. To mitigate the risk for you, I recommend getting their "Grade 2" edging. It supposedly is used, but it looked like new to me. The cost is half of the new edging. The only drawback is that you can't return it.

Chris
At 5'8"......I replaced the stock windshield with the Givi and just love it......!!! No more wind in the face and buffeting.....!!! Different stroke for different folks..........SO...whatever you are happy with...!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I've had the Saeng edging on both my 400 and 650 windshields and though I didn't notice a major reduction in turbulence or noise over my helmet, I absolutely did like the way the edging doesn't allow the rain to come up over the top of the windshield to make it to my shield. It forces the water to run over to the side and then clear down to the bottom edge and off.
I've replaced my stock shield on the 650 with a Clearview and haven't put the edging back on due to not being able to see over even a tiny bit higher shield. Recently I was in a driving rainstorm and couldn't believe how ugly it was with the water hitting my shield, and riding nearly blind for even a minute wasn't a bit of fun!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Garnet said:
I've had the Saeng edging on both my 400 and 650 windshields and though I didn't notice a major reduction in turbulence or noise over my helmet, I absolutely did like the way the edging doesn't allow the rain to come up over the top of the windshield to make it to my shield. It forces the water to run over to the side and then clear down to the bottom edge and off.
I've replaced my stock shield on the 650 with a Clearview and haven't put the edging back on due to not being able to see over even a tiny bit higher shield. Recently I was in a driving rainstorm and couldn't believe how ugly it was with the water hitting my shield, and riding nearly blind for even a minute wasn't a bit of fun!
I have found that by treating the windshield with NIKWAX....the water just beads up and runs to the sides because of the shape and contour of the Givi........

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Garnet said:
I have found that by treating the windshield with NIKWAX....the water just beads up and runs to the sides because of the shape and contour of the Givi........
Well, I'm sure that could be the case for you....

but I have a Clearview and also use Nikwax Visor Guard...and the water beads up and still comes over - very quickly! :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final on this. I bought 4 ft of Saeng stuff, not my first time.

Yesterday and this AM, 285 miles test trying to be honest-----tried all three seat positions, middle seems to work best for me. Four different helmets, same ears plugs. only one helmet proved tolerable for serious long distance riding, Fulemer AF655 with drop down visor.

Other Helmets KBC TK110S with long duck bill visor----glasses---eyes took a little beating, Fulmer open face, sames eyes took beating----last Bell Pit Boss with drop down visor=loud and not really good for 500 mile days.

CONCLUSION: the SAENG stuff may weakly reduce some buffeting by weak 10-20%. Worth $$????

Other opinion on riding comfort: I have had in recent years TMAX/2 Burgman 400/SilverWing/ReFlex/4 Helix/Daelim and 2 two stroke Vespas---all purchased new----Except Vespas all are miserable buffeting machines. Scooter/cruisers are probably sold on how they feel in showroom-----not on how they work after 3 or 4 500 mile days in crappy weather back to back.-----I also see the new BMW scoooters to be buffeting kings if they ever hit market.

I hesitate to buy/order new Vespa in US-----bad Italian parts service, bike overpriced, goofy oil requirements, expensive replacement keys, under 10,000 mile belt replacement, $20 oil filters, NO real national reliable dealer net work. But they do have wonderful front luggage rack--great for camping, choice in rear luggage racks
But having had 4 of them since 1968----they do/can provide buffeting free ride with the right windshield height and still look over-----secret, your nose is close to tip of shield! Something all the other modern scooters seem to miss....my guess designers and other industry people really don't ride.

I am first motorcyclist and have ridden most of my miles on them, but always had scooters on side, use BMW equipped with Heinrich Fairing and Legshields or Vespa or HD (my new'66 Big Twin) with up-down seat/WinterWindshield kit and tin legshields as base line on comfort----actually Triumph 6T with Avon handlebar fairly comfortable------------------Present day most/best air management you can get in stock bike==Honda NT700V, that will soon be discontinued. Leave everything alone and it worked fine----mine has been traded.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Played a little more with this stuff on Sat-----took off, cut in half---used it on sides of shield, so none in line of sight. = no decrease/ increase in spill over, over top of shield=Fine. Actually with the stuff on the side there is probably some decrease in the way the air closes in and bangs your ears. Rode 150 miles this way and it will stay on the sides. Oh, for scooters that are properly designed to actually be used.

·
Registered
677 Posts
john grinsel said:
Played a little more with this stuff on Sat-----took off, cut in half---used it on sides of shield, so none in line of sight. = no decrease/ increase in spill over, over top of shield=Fine. Actually with the stuff on the side there is probably some decrease in the way the air closes in and bangs your ears. Rode 150 miles this way and it will stay on the sides. Oh, for scooters that are properly designed to actually be used.
That is an interesting idea, thanks. I might try that myself, if I get up the nerve to try to cut the stuff, that is. :)

How exactly did you do it? Did you stop short of the corner, or turn and cut after the corner? Got any photos?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no trouble bending the stuff around corner-----rubber hammer helps, some feel for what you are doing, and hold the windshield steady as force is applied.
As I re-used, I made sure gap/space to grip shield is closed a little. Cutting done with side cutter----little metal pieces that might stick out---needle nose and pull them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts