Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tas some jerk in a pickup truck decided using his cell phone was more vital than paying attention to his driving and he didnt see me (even though lady behind him said she plainly saw me) and he plowed my burgman across 3 lanes of traf.fic and totalled it. and me. insurance figures looking bio mayt lower then i expected so replacing maybe difficult

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ouch! I hope being on here means that you're not in too bad shape. I just went through the same thing in Sept so I feel for you.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your accident. You haven't said, but I hope you are okay? The bike can be repaired or replaced.

I had a guy in a pick up pull out from a side street in front of me today. I got on the horn and braked hard enough that I set the ABS off on my rear wheel. He finally saw me and stopped - blocking both lanes on the road I was on. I had stopped short of him though so no contact. I am sure he didn't see me. I don't think he would have seen me if was was in a dump truck instead of my Burgman. I am glad for him that I wasn't driving a dump truck though, as I don't think I could have stopped in time driving one of those.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Sorry to here this. The bike can be replaced. Hope you came out of it without to much injury.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Get well soon.

Dam! cell phones. I make a habit of looking for cell phone users on the road, pulling up next to them, and making a hand gesture to hang up the phone. May not help me, but might help the next guy who crosses their path.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hope you're alright. This cellphone stuff is half the reason I prefer 2 wheels. Can't text or dial out phone calls. Keeps it safer on my part.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This cellphone problem with drivers is getting me thinking about changing out the stock horn with something that will really get their attention.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your accident. You haven't said, but I hope you are okay? The bike can be repaired or replaced.

I had a guy in a pick up pull out from a side street in front of me today. I got on the horn and braked hard enough that I set the ABS off on my rear wheel. He finally saw me and stopped - blocking both lanes on the road I was on. I had stopped short of him though so no contact. I am sure he didn't see me. I don't think he would have seen me if was was in a dump truck instead of my Burgman. I am glad for him that I wasn't driving a dump truck though, as I don't think I could have stopped in time driving one of those.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
A friend and I were debating this last week. I use my horn when someone pulls in front of me. He said doing so will or can make them slow down or stop making the chances of hitting them greater. His thoughts are after you safely miss them then you can use your horn to let them know they screwed up.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You are probably right. I think he would have completed his turn in front of me if I had not laid on the horn. I will have to think about this some more.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
182 Posts
Horns do one of two things, it will either make them stop, or initiate the automatic reflex of the middle digit on the free hand extending, gesturing what the driver thinks about your horn honking. I am of a mind that while it is important to make your presence known (to the unaware) a visual is better than an audible. Naturally, this only goes so far. Being prepared for the unexpected is something two wheel riders can to to protect themselves. How,??? Protective equipment, riding jackets, knee and shin guards, helmet, gloves and boots. Reflective tape strips are usually sewn into most of the fabric jackets. When I was a kid, my grandmothers favorite saying was, "Children should be seen and not heard". I was pretty rambunctious when I was six. The same is a good motto for bikers as well. Don't get me wrong, a loud horn is effective and I am thoroughly convinced that loud pipes can and do save lives.

I am so sorry your scooter was trashed by someone preoccupied with their personal life they had to put yours in jeopardy. Cell phones do have a place while driving, and that is in your pocket. Bluetooth is better, but still a distraction.

Bottom line: a two wheel rider must always be on their guard and prepared to react to the situation at hand.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unfortunately, this story is too common. Recently I was driving along and a lady on her cellphone just decided she wanted my lane, so she moved right over. She didn't even look. I was right beside her. In fact , I ended up kicking her driverside door to get her attention after laying on the horn for what I consider forever. I was essentially trapped in my lane because I was in the inside lane with a median on my left. She could have turned her head to the left and seen me beside her, but the phone was more important, I guess. Luckily, she finally saw me after I kicked her door. She moved back to her lane and mouthed "Sorry", but she still didn't put that **** phone down! That is what we have to deal with as riders, so it is obviously up to us to watch for them because they have more important things to do than watch where they are going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While the horn has its pros and cons, I like the modulating headlights. Legal in all 50 states. And if it happens to make the cagers think you are an oncoming cop bike and makes them get out of the way, so much the better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've done all my scootering in Greece. At first I thought all the honking of horns meant people were always mad. My Greek wife pointed out that most of the honking was courtesy letting folks know their intentions. That information changed my whole attitude about honking, both in a car and on a scooter, in Greece.

In the states, I rarely witness a "courtesy" honk. It's almost always someone mad.

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got new helmet today, ordered new saddlebags go tomorow evening to most likely buy another 03 blue burgman 400

·
Registered
302 Posts
And I was about to buy a 2003 that was triked but the money has to go for vet bills now. The guy wanted a very fair price for it too. I don't think there is much of a difference between my 2006 and a 2003, aside from miles put on it vs mine. I like the blue color. My '06 is the silver/gray one that seems to be common.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, I think my wife and I have decided that it might be time for me to sell my beautiful 2006 B400 and buy something a lot smaller. I don't like the idea of getting rid of it because I love riding it, but my health isn't what it use to be so I am afraid the day will come when I can't hold it up any more. It is due for its 7500 mile service, which I am going to get done shortly, and I just put a new City Grip on the back about 100 miles ago. It has the Givi tall windshield and a big Givi tailbox as well as lots of extra brake lights. I also have some Ram Mounts on it, but I may just pull them and sell them separately, on the cheap. I haven't fully committed myself yet, but I have to think seriously about it. It was my dream bike, and I still love riding it soo much. :-/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts