Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of that big bulky crate sitting up high on the back of my '06 650 Burg, I am wondering if any has installed saddlebags on theirs. How do they fit and do they interfere with a 2nd rider. Would like to see pictures and comments. Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
They don't interfere with a pillion rider but, do add to wind resistance probably more than a top box since the latter is behind the rider(s) while the former is in its own air. I'm sure some members will post pics but, Google "Burgman 650 side cases" and hit the "Images" button. You'll see a variety of both hard and soft side cases.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you don't like the look of a Burger with a top case, that's up to you. But there are reasons you see that configuration much more than saddlebags.

Aerodynamics is the biggest one I think. Also, one top case is cheaper than two saddlebags. Top cases have Easier loading and unloading, etc.

But for me, I don't like the increased width of the bike, makes it more difficult to manuver between cars and tight spaces. I had a buddy with huge saddlebags on his Burgman 650. He was sitting at a stoplight and a car tried to squeeze between him and the curb to make a right. The car didn't quite make it and took out a bag and ripped off a good portion of the bike. Not your typical side case story, but it happens.

I've have had saddlebags & top cases, sometimes both on one bike and I always use the top cases more. The saddlebags almost always stayed in a closet, save for long trips.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I looked at the soft saddle bags, but was worried about paint damage from them rubbing. I don't want to add side brackets, and if I did, I would go with hard bags. I bought a T-bag at Cycle Gear. It has nearly as much room as standard soft saddle bags, and more than most top cases. I can put it on in a few seconds and leave it at home for daily commuting. I don't need the extra space except for long trips.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
Just for grins...does anybody who runs side bags have any input as to their impact on handling & MPG?:confused:

·
Registered
573 Posts
That would probably do the trick. But with the T-bag I don't think I would need them. I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer. When I get my final packing ready to go I'll see.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have several different motorcycles that I've hard panniers fitted and added top boxes too. The CFMoto 650TR has permanently mounted/integrated panniers,though the width of which measures approximately 20cm narrower than the panniers on either the '14 G650GS or '11 XT1200Z. For day to day riding I prefer to ride without panniers. It makes lane splitting and filtering way easier as well as manoeuvring in tight situations. Each bike has a tank bag fitted too.

Just yesterday I rode the G650GS to my favourite METRO supermarket and did so with the top box and a day pack which I secured to the pillion seat using a cargo net, despite riding through a couple of mountains taking the long way there and back.

It can be a toss up between having extra carrying capacity versus added maneuverability and added peace of mind.

I'm glad I didn't have the panniers fitted as there were a few traffic jams on a couple of the narrow mountain roads that I was easily able to manoeuvre through with ease which wouldn't have been the case had I had the panniers on. My panniers also sit in a closet waiting to be used on the next long trip.

I think that the Burgy has quite a wide rear end already without adding to it with a set of panniers. For me the combination of under seat storage, top box and added tunnel bag provides more than adequate stowage capacity. Under the seat I've placed 2 Tupperware plastic containers filled with tools, puncture repair kit and set of PVC wet weather gear as well as a electronic air compressor - with the 2 containers sitting top and tail fitting snug intro the rear section of the under seat storage up against the rear tail light assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Road Wrap at
www.empirecovers.com
I bought the 6 inch size for mirrors
& put a couple of strips on each side.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Instead of that big bulky crate sitting up high on the back of my '06 650 Burg, I am wondering if any has installed saddlebags on theirs. How do they fit and do they interfere with a 2nd rider. Would like to see pictures and comments. Thanks

I have found that the more luggage the better , and the more luggage the more you'll actually use the bike . That said if you are strictly a pleasure rider you may not have use for the luggage ? As far as wind resistance goes even on the freeway at high speed , I haven't noticed any problems with the largest trunks and hard side bags . As far as the width goes with hard saddle bags , it does make for a wide rear end that you have to be aware of in tight spots . Once you own a bike that is fully loaded with top box and hard saddle bags , you won't want to ever be without again .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
One of the guys in our riding group doesn't have a top case mounted on his 650. When we go on multi day rides he uses soft saddle bags to carry his extra luggage. The rest of us use our top cases.

When we are on day rides and he does not have the saddle bags mounted he gets the same gas mileage as the rest of us. When we are on the multi day rides and he has the saddle bags mounted he gets a couple of mpg less than the rest of us.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Get the biggest GIVI topcase that will fit (e55 Maxia?) and then see if you need the hassle of saddlebags. I run a e52 Maxia and along with the trunk, it handles daily duties with some room to spare.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Anyone have any trouble with the soft saddle bags scratching the finish?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
ME....so I bought some RoadWrap
www.empirecovers.com
I bought the 6 inch size for mirrors.
A couple of strips on each side did
the job for me...and a strip covering
the passenger grab-handles.
It worked well on my trip to Minnesota.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Any thing that is touching the plastics and can move acts like sand paper in short order . It's the same with any painted area , it takes the paint right off .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I typically get 50+ mpg without anything extra loaded onto it. With the saddle bags, top box, and under seat area fully loaded I get a consistent 48mpg on the highway. I really want to see if I can get a fiberglass guy to make a set of saddlebags that hug tighter to the sides and is more aerodynamic looking. I like how saddlebags look on everything but scooters. They just look like they don't belong. Idk. If my bike didn't come with the whole set I don't think I'd buy them.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
Thanks GK, sounds about like what I'd expect, definitely some impact from the airflow.
There's a local fellow selling some mounts that I keep debating but I question how much I'd really use side cases, and how much I'd get out of them vs. just strapping a bag on the back of the seat.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer. When I get my final packing ready to go I'll see.
I rode my Honda Reflex 250 out of Alaska, around North America, and back to Alaska. I had a pair of custom saddle bags made for it and I was glad I had them.

My bike was pretty packed, and now having completed the trip, I don't think I was carrying anything I didn't really need. I'd strongly advise looking into some saddle bags.

****, I recently (well, October) made a trip to Florida and back, which got me off my ass to get saddle bags on my new(ish) bike. I was glad I have them and highly recommend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts