Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I discovered something unpleasant today. Yesterday I bought a black sheepskin. It's made for a dualsport, but fits the Burgie seat just fine.

So I rode off this morning and the sheepsking felt quite cool and comfortable. I went down to the coffee shop in Old Bisbee to hang with my motorcycle friends. Spent a couple of hours, came back out and rode off.

After a half mile my butt was uncomfortably hot. I pulled into a gas station and started checking things out. The sheepskin felt about the same temperature as my body, but when I felt the seat UNDER the sheepskin it was quite hot. I then felt the seat on the rest of the seat. It has been cooled off by the air during my short ride.

Apparently the sheepskin, solid as it is, is trapping the heat in the seat under it and sort of keeping it there.

Also, it seems the sun's radiant heat goes right through the sheepskin, heating both seat and skin, and the skin keeps the seat's heat from escaping.

What a bummer. So if I ride out of the shade of my large car port in the morning, I'm OK as long as I don't stop?

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ted , take it back and exchange it for the white sheepskin. The white one shouldnt draw the suns rays while your stopped. Let us know if it works for I have no clue.....I'm just flying by the seat of my pants on this one :lol: :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Allwalk:

That's a thought. It's made by http://www.alaskaleather.com. The model is "Dualsport -A." We desert rats know about white cars vs. black cars.

In 1999 I bought a new Jetta TDI in Tucson and got $1000 off because it was black and no one would buy it. I don't know why they ordered it.

I'll give alaskaleather.com an internet ring.

(I was thinking about putting a piece of aluminum foil under it as foil seems to reflect heat, but it might make the sheepskin slippery).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I called alaskaleather.com and talked to the owner, Barb, and she was very cooperative. I'm to send the black Dual Sport-A back and she will exchange it for a genuine Burgman 650 cream colored (natural sheepskin color) one.

Turns out they make a sheepskin cover for both 400 and 650 Burgmans.

I have two friends who use them on other bikes (Cagiva CapoNord dual sport) and a BMW Paris-Dakar type (I don't know BMW's well at all). Both claim they make long rides much more tolerable.

I believe my problem is solved.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Ted,

I just tried to go to the site you listed. It asked for a username and password?!?! :shock: Is it a members only site?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts