Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several postings of permanent saddle bag supports, mostly for GIVI or similar hard luggage. Some great idea's and plans, but I don't think the hard luggage suits my occasional needs.

I currently use some soft/textile bags on my cruiser with just a thin metal custom bracket installed on the bike. This bracket merely keeps the bag from rubbing the bike and/or rear wheel.

Does anyone know of a similar U-shaped rigid wire bracket that could be screwed into the bungee mount threads under the rear handles on the AN650?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No mounts, just protection

I went with soft paint protection purchased from Aerostich to use with my softsided saddle bags. One item is a vinyl second skin for the bike, the other a cushioning material that limits movement of the bags. It worked great the one time I've used them on a 1200 mile trek. Here are some details, courtesy of Aerostich.

Snider's Paintgaurd

CAT. NO. 9058 $ 14.00
If you like having shiny paint but always ride hard, try this. The optically clear 7.5 mil thick polished vinyl works as a removable skin to protect your bikes painted finish. Goes on easily and cuts-to-fit wherever needed. Reusable over and over. Applies with only water and a squeegee. Flexible and durable wear and scratch protection. Includes instructions. Three 11" x 15" sheets.

Paint Saver Mesh

CAT. NO. 1926 $ 8.00
After a great trip you wash the bike and There It Is: big, rubbed-right-through the-paint dull area, …right where your pack, straps, and bungees went. This anti- slip, padded, cut-to-fit foam covered mesh can save your bike's paint from a thousand abrasions or scratches on your next trip. Place this durable 3/16” thick reinforced pvc mesh between your bags, bungees and bike bodywork for maximum protection and increased load security, no matter how rough the road conditions. Black. 24" x 36"

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's great minnmax -- thanks for the link. I have been thinking about just using soft saddlebags lately.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a set that would fit nicely on the Burgman?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Soft Luggage - Saddle Bags

The saddle bags I use are Oxford Sports expandables. The go from about 30~35 liters each to nearly 55 liters each. Coupled with underseat storage and the Givi E50 case and I have a heck of alot of storage for touring.

Speaking of Givi, they make some very nice soft luggage, including saddle bags (panniers) in various sizes, some expandable, some not. Once set that is not expandable happens to be scooter specific. The T427 hold about 35 liters a piece and even have 'Scooter Bag' labeled on the sides in reflective silver. Like the Oxford Sports, Givi saddle bags tend to come with raincovers.

Important note: Except for the Givi 'Scooter Bag' which is designed specifically for scoots, most motorcycle saddle bags are designed for narrower motorcycles than Burgmans. That means the straps to attach them may be too short. The Oxford Sports like most of them use velcro to attach one bag to the other for hanging off the bike. You can pickup from most hardware and fabric stores velcro strips to extend these straps so the will work on our wide-body maxiscooters. I was lucky and picked up my saddle bags slightly used for a nice price from a Silver Wing owner, so he already had made the strap extenders.

In case you are wondering, the only reason he was getting rid of the bags was because he added a sidecar. The saddle bags would rub against the sidecar and mess up the paint. Too bad for him, but it was a good deal for me.

The blue bag is the Oxford Sports and the black one the Givi Scooter Bag
The Oxford Sports comes in a choice of colors, the Givi only black.
Click on the picture to go to a website that sells that brand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Soft bags...

I have a set that I won't be using anymore.. but they are cheap and moisture can get in through the zipper. Rode all last season with these bags.. 5000 kms.. Hanging on the sides with a small bungy cord on the bottom to keep them against the bike. No damage to the blue paint either. I've got the Givi E-21's on now. I like hard luggage, its lockable & very waterproof.
As for a frame... I'd make one if I needed one. Just like I did for the Givi cases.
Those are very nice bags Adam.

·
Registered
394 Posts
seatec said:
Minnmax, what size in inches are the Oxfort bags, do they take long to put on and off, do you tie them down at bottom, and have you got a picture of them on your Burgman :?: Wayne
  • I'll check on the dimensions of the Oxford Sports Saddlebags and get back to you with them.
    [/*:m:bo9rn23y]
  • First time around it takes a while to put the Snider's Paintguard on the body of the scoot, as you have to cut it into the shapes you want, then apply them. Took me about an hour. Once they're on you can keep them there as long as you'd like and even after you take them off, they are ready for the next time, so it isn't too bad. The first time of fitting the Paint Saver Mesh and the straps of the saddle bags themselves on the scoot can also take some time (15-20 minutes). However, after you have it down , it doesn't take long to put them on or take them off (5 minutes).
  • I actually cut the bottom strap off the saddlebags, as it only gets in the way. With the Paint Saver Mesh there is no need for anything but the top staps, as the mesh keeps it from moving around. This also makes it easier to lift them up to put gas in the tank.
  • I'll look to see if I have a pic with the saddlebags on the scoot. I honestly don't recall if I do or I don't.[/*:m:bo9rn23y]

·
Registered
394 Posts
  • The saddle bag dimensions in inches are 20Lx13Hx9D (Long, High, Deep). The depth is 12 inches deep when expanded.
    [/*:m:13lts0xe]
  • Looks like I don't have a picture of the Burgman with the saddle bags. The one trip I used them on, my digital camera was in for repairs. We did have a film camera, but I don't recall taking a pic of the scoot when the bags were on it. It'll have to wait for my planned Memorial Day weekend trip later this year.[/*:m:13lts0xe]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Found a Pic

I found a picture with my Burgman 650 with the saddle bags on it. Unfortunately, it is the only one and the saddle bags were not the point of the pic. Here it is anyway. We'll have to wait until May before I expect to have the Burgie out again with bags attached.

Yes, that's me by my scoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts