Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally resolved myself to parking the 2007 400 Burgman for the winter :( . The temperatures are simply too low now here in Canada. We had some snow and salt has been added to the pavement. The salt is not good for the steel frame. This weekend I am going to clean the bike, fill it with gas, add some fuel stabalizer, let the bike run for about 10 minutes, remove the battery and get it indoors and cover the bike.

I store my bike in an unheated shed for the winter, which is why I put the fuel stabalizer. Anything else I shoud do?

In just 2 months we will be mid-february and I will start dreaming about re-using the bike in late March :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know how you feel , I live in Maine and I think we got the same storm. As far as storing, I pull the battery on my wife's 400, fuel stabulizer with a full tank, I put it up on the center stand and put a small jack under to take the load off the front tire. Bikes are also out in a cold shed and stop in off and on just to visit. Ernie

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know how you feel; My 400 has been on stand, stabilized and battery removed for almost TWO MONTHS. *sigh* Hate winter.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I kinda know how you feel. A week ago I had the final carpal tunnel surgery done on the left hand. (The right was done last April.) No riding for the past week. :cry: I go to the surgeon today to get the stitches out. I think I'll try riding there.

It was a good time to wash the jacket and respray it with waterproofing.

Chris

·
Registered
739 Posts
I prefer to put a trickle charger on mine.. easier to unhook it and get it out on a warm January day.. But this year, I have mine stored at the dealers until Mid March.. :cry:

And that's why my goa;l this year is to get a good shed built that will hold my lawn tractor and my Burgman.. No garage and I've had it with tarps and off site storage.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, What's Gonna Happend to the "OIL" when you store it, Do you need to Add any thing to it, Or just leave it in there ? ,Or change it when you get it Back up and Running.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You are better getting it up to operating temp and changing the oil before laying it up
as acid and other contaminants build up in the oil and are better not left standing in
the engine over long periods.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ralph M said:
You are better getting it up to operating temp and changing the oil before laying it up
as acid and other contaminants build up in the oil and are better not left standing in
the engine over long periods.
Wonder what harm it does? You would think I would know since I have left the old oil in for the last 40+ years without any problems at all.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Probably non at all but if you want belt n braces that's the way to do it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Daboo, sorry to hear that you haven't been able to ride for a week or more. I hope that your right hand has healed from the 1st surgery.

But don't rush it with your left hand or you might end up not being to ride for a lot longer. Careful with it!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
That's Bad new Chris, After awhile it will Develop arthritis, Seems like where ever a Surgery is done arthritis seems to follow and it may not get to him now but later , when it's real cold your gonna really feel the affects , of Pain in the Left & Right Hand, Not sure how it's gonna do for your riding to the Job.

I have arthritis in my Left leg that i broke not long ago, have to keep it warm but for the hand Heated hand warmers should do the trick,

Get better Buddy?

Elliott,

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Thanks, but I had the arthritis already. :roll: Last year when they were doing the ultrasound prior to removing my gall bladder, the technician said I had arthritis in my hips. I thought to myself, "No, duh...I could've told her that."

I took the bike out to the doc to have the hand looked at yesterday. The hand is healing great. I'm limiting myself to doing short rides...very carefully. Believe it or not, the biggest problem is in holding the bike as I put my leg through. That's a little painful. Once on the bike, it seems to be doable.

But at least I'm back on the bike! :) I can feel for those in the snow belt areas though. :( I actually went out in the garage a couple times after the surgery to sit on the bike and see if it was too painful to squeeze the brake caliper. My off time is/was measured in days, while theirs is in weeks or months. That has to be tough if you love to ride.

Chris

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wow you people are animals. Riding in the winter. About 48 dF is my limit :)
Yeah the frame sure has the world's crappiest factory paint.
Someday I will repaint my frame- that Ducati lipstick red would be cool. Then run a naked Burgie :)

But I've had enough experience with salty roads for one lifetime (have sacrificed about 8 cars) and sure don't want tin worms in the Burgman!!! So I'll stay down south :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
mike1nw said:
Wow you people are animals. Riding in the winter. About 48 dF is my limit :)

Mike, you'd hate some of my riding. I've ridden in -5C (23F) a few times and with decent gear you shouldn't be cold. Winter riding can be good for keeping your skills up.

Don't get me wrong, At a certain point, extreme weather should make you choose another form of transport, but many would be amazed by how far into winter you can ride with just a few modifications and good jacket and trousers- a Tucano Urbano cover can make a real difference.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have ridden in temps well below zero and it does not bother me at all,
just turn up the heated vest and grips, I ware industrial freezer boots
instead of bike boots in winter, snow I can live with but ice as me reaching
for the cage keys.
:reindeer: :reindeer: :reindeer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts