Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had to put my beautiful little 10 pound Jack Russell Terrier down. She has been sick since August and we have been trying to figure out what the problem was. Our vet had run out of options, so we had the senior vet take over. We found out yesterday that it was cancer. She was down to 9 pounds by then. We had gotten her from a breeder who was retiring her. She was 6 years old at that time. She was 9 1/2 when we put her down. She had a way of wiggling into everyone's hearts. When I would come home she would give me a "woo woo" instead of a bark, and every morning when I came into the kitchen no matter whatshe was doing including eating, she would turn around and run to me with her tail wagging so hard that her whole back end would be moving. She loved to ride on my scooter and in the car. We have about 3/4 of an acre in our back yard so she spent much of her time chasing and catching varmits like squirrels and chipmunks ....and bunnies. She ate what she caught if we didn't stop her. One time she caught a squirrel and brought it into the house alive. I wasn't home at the time but I came home to quite a mess as the other 2 Jack Russell's we have helped her chase it down once it was inside. Most of the time though she just loved to be petted and carried around in my arms. I will miss her dearly. I am glad we have the others to help with the pain. Life goes on.....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The loss of a pet is always tough. I am sorry for your loss.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
A sad day indeed. Soon after we got our dog, I thought "how am I gonna deal when this animal dies". Its tough, but you remember the good times, play with the ones you still have, and write to friends, like you did here.

Post a picture. Here's one of mine.

View attachment 19241

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, I have lost pets before too and it's never easy. Got to love those Jack Russells though...my friend has one and whenever it gets too rambunctious he sends it to the back yard with a soccer ball and lets it chase it down the hill barking all the way, then it pushes the ball back up the hill so that it can chase it down again! The dog will do this all day, day in and out if my friend lets it...perpetual motion machine!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are a bundle of energy. Since we have 3/4 of an acre in our back yard, with plenty of trees and varmints, every day is a fun day for them. Here is one last picture of Miss Pearl. Nine years old and only 10 pounds of pure love.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, they are a bundle of energy. Since we have 3/4 of an acre in our back yard, with plenty of trees and varmints, every day is a fun day for them. Here is one last picture of Miss Pearl. Nine years old and only 10 pounds of pure love.
Awe, what a cutie! I can see why you loved her so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sympathies to You

My heartfelt sympathies go to you and yours.
I too have a JRT that's been riding for over
10 yrs and is the light of my life. Thankfully
you have the others to get you through
and you can always remember the good times...TV

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My heart goes out to you, Mel. I believe all the pets who we have loved are waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. May you be reunited then.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a JRT also. He crawled under the fence one night, and he's been with me ever since. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Just always have to remember the good times and how much they love you. BTW, how do you get your dog to ride the scooter with you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very sad indeed... I had the same emotion when we have to let go our gsd due to heart worm. That was really a very sad year...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sorry!! It's Best not to let a Animal Suffer!! But Dogs & Cats Go Thru the same thing we go thru ,Rather it's Cancer,Colds,Flu,ETC,ETC

Elliott,

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss Mel.
I feel grateful I had a chance to meet your doggies.
Hope the other ones don't get too lonely now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss Mel. I've had to put several cats and a boxer out of their pain when nothing else could be done for them. I shed my share of tears each time. I also believe we will see our beloved pets again one day. Prayers to you and your family.

Felix the Cat
AKA Steve

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss Mel! We lost our dog almost 2 years ago to cancer also. We have since adopted/rescued another from the local shelter. Enjoy the dogs you still have.
Take care,
Wes

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mel, sorry buddy. It's hard. It's just like losing any family member. Take comfort from the memories you have and the fact you did the right thing for your dog.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry for your loss!!
I had to do the same thing with my 14 yo beagle and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I know one day I will have to do the same with my Great Dane. The big dogs parts wear out prior to the rest of their body and you end up having to put them down. Her knees are getting pretty bad but we clet her sleep on a heating pad and she gets Glucosamine every day so shes feelling better.

Dogs really are a mans best friend. If you dont believe it, lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of the car. Come back an hour later and unlock it. See which one is happy to see you. Thats your best friend.

Yall know I am only kidding right?

I would never ever lock my dog in the trunk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mel. We had to do that once with a little poodle we had over 17 years. You did the right thing. You can't let them suffer when no hope of getting well.
Tom

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Incredible, the grief we have in the loss of our beloved dogs/cats. You have my sincerest sympathy.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So Sorry.. My wife & I are involved in dog shows and have two now.. awful when the decision is made to put a dog down.. As I type this I amlooking at the containers on a shelf of four of our dogs.. we want them in our coffin when we are buried.. They will be with us always..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts