Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a while back someone had found a web site that had
some S shaped hooks that were made for hooking under the edge of the seat to connect bungee cords to. Does anyone remember the name of the web site. I can't seem to find it. I think it was Bill Meek but not sure. Bill seems to good at finding everything. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There are 2 threaded holes om each side's passenger's hand grip bars to mount bungie cord holders. Suzuki sells the bungie cord holders, but you can go to the hardware store and get the bolts and stuff to make some. If you want to go that route.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
blueburgerbob wrote (snipped)
4- 10 mm bolts & nuts. get the bolts about 1" long. thread them into the underside of the grab handles a few turns, and then run the nut up against the grab handle so about 1/4"
Sounds like the way to go :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Red Eagle said:
Does anyone remember the name of the web site.
Nope. But there's lots of sites that carry S hooks like :

http://www.strapworks.com/hooks.html

If you decide to go with S hooks rather than the pegs in the passenger grips, I'd go to my local hardware store and purchase them there. You'd be better off being able to check the fit to make sure they do not interfere with closing the seat nor mar the bike.

Red Eagle said:
Bill seems to good at finding everything.
:lol: Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SHooks

roy_ryall said:
There are 2 threaded holes om each side's passenger's hand grip bars to mount bungie cord holders. Suzuki sells the bungie cord holders, but you can go to the hardware store and get the bolts and stuff to make some. If you want to go that route.
I have already installed the bungie cord holders on the passinger grab rails. Which btw don't work all that great for holding the hooks.
What I'm talking about are "flat" hooks made out of flat metal that hooks under the seat to connect a bungie cord to so that you can raise the seat with whatever you have bungied or strapped down.
I seen them here a little while back, someone had found them a while back disscussing something about tie down but I don't remember exactly
what.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I believe you're thinking of 'gutter hooks' like are used on car roof top carriers. Look at the bottom of the page on the link I provided above for an example.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I know what you mean Red Eagle. I bought the Suzuki bungie "screws" cause they are certainly not hooks and are a major rip off at 15.00. I had to remove the hooks from my bungie cords to use those screws so that I don't scratch my scoot. So far though I have yet to use them as I seem to have been able to fit everything in the trunk. When I get my Givi case installed I doubt that I will ever use them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bill

billmeek said:
I believe you're thinking of 'gutter hooks' like are used on car roof top carriers. Look at the bottom of the page on the link I provided above for an example.
Thanks, Bill
I believe that is exactly what I was looking for. I knew if anybody could find it that you would. Thanks again

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great Questions Red Eagle.
Which leads me to some more.

I was curious about this same idea a few days ago. How to tie down cargo on the passenger seat. If I use Bungi Cords with their S-Hooks that will damage the hand rail. If I use the Cord to wrap around the hand rail and connect the two Hooks together in the middle, then the Cord will wear a spot on the hand rail.

Am I to believe that using the bolts attached to the underside of the hand rails does not work very well?

What about using these bungie helpers?
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16206&cat=0&page=2
These attach through the hand rails and would seem to provide a sturdy attachment point. Although, the bolts are not long enough to go THRU the hand rail. I wonder if the bolts on these could fit into the threads on the hand rails??

Would securing a load to the seat using the gutter hooks cause the edges of the seat to curl upward?

I am curious what others are using, as I am sure Red Eagle is?

I have thought of purchasing a Rubbermaid Storage container till I get my GIVI, but would need a method to strap it down.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
An inexpensive option is to buy some cap screw bolts and bulk bungee cord. Cut the bungee cord to length and knot the ends leaving a loop to wrap around your bolts in the passenger handrails. By using the cap screw bolts, no threads are exposed and will not chew thru the bungee cord.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like an excellent IDEA!! Even then you could still use the S-hooks.

I like the adjustable bungee cords like these ...
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16419&cat=283&page=1

I take it that with a 1" bolt, the thread should cover half of that? Would you still need to use a nut to secure the bolt to the hand rail threads?

Thanks for the idea!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alternate bungie hooks

captainfish said:
Great Questions Red Eagle.
Which leads me to some more.

Am I to believe that using the bolts attached to the underside of the hand rails does not work very well?

The Suzuki bolts do not work very well for bungie hooks. The hooks just kinda slip off instead of staying put. Almost worthless

What about using these bungie helpers?
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16206&cat=0&page=2
These attach through the hand rails and would seem to provide a sturdy attachment point. Although, the bolts are not long enough to go THRU the hand rail. I wonder if the bolts on these could fit into the threads on the hand rails??

These look like they might just work fairly well, that is if the bolts ( you would probably have to buy the correct size to fit where they go) that fit where the studs go are not to small or to big to fit those units from aerostich.

Would securing a load to the seat using the gutter hooks cause the edges of the seat to curl upward?

I don't know on this question, I would hope not unless you put too much force on tieing something down. I think the seat is pretty stout.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I purchased the screw set from Suzuki (rip off indeed) but found that tying a load to the side rails prevents the seat from lifting. I took a nice, black painted coat hanger, cut pieces from it, used two pair of pliers to bend the pieces to shape so they clip to the edge of the seat, leaving a loop exposed over the edge. I made four of these and, by positioning them properly, they hold a bag on the seat and allow it to be lifted without removing. I wish I could show how I shaped the pieces of coat hanger. Each one is shaped so the ends go under the seat edge, leaving a loop exposed. By squeezing the ends with pliers, they hold tightly enough to the seat edge so they don't fall off.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Nope, I made the hooks nso that they pull straight up, rather than twiting out, if you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I did two things today: One, I made some coat-hanger clips to allow hooking a bungie or strap to the seat edge. Two, I went to the hardware store and bought four each of M6-55 (I think) bolts 1.25" long, 1/4" id 1/2"od nylon spacer 1" long, and 3/16"id fender washers. The fender washers were just a little too small to slip over the metric bolts, so I drilled them out with a 15/64" drill bit. The Nylon spacer compresses a little to tighten up nicely between the washer and the underside of the handles. It also won't mar the paint like a metal spacer might have. You shouldn't hook bungie cords right to these, rather loop the cord around them. I'll have both the bolt heads and the washers powder-coated black when I get around to it.

The coat hanger wire hooks work, but are thin enough that I feel they may cut into the seat fabric or the bungie cord. Some heavier guage wire may be better. I'm thinking about making a clip from some flat bar metal stock. It will also eventually be power coated.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
captainfish said:
What size action packer you got on there? My local store only carries the 8 gallon. And, it looks really thin. Yours seems to be a bit larger and has a hinged lid. ??
No markings on mine other than model 1170. It is VERY old. I used to have it mounted on the parcel rack of my 1985 250 Elite scooter. It's 20" long, 14.5" wide, and 10" deep indside. The top is not hinged, but rather held on when the red (pink) handles close. You can put a lock through the handles. The bungie can hook at the bottom of each handle, so you can open the box while still attached to the bike. Or you can hook the bungie through the lock hole, effectively locking the box shut AND holding it on the bike until unhooked.

Dave B.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts