Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally did one of the mods I wanted to do this weekend, convert the front turn signals on my 650 to 1157 sockets and bulbs to give me running lights.

Thought about doing the magic blinker setup, or basic relay to achieve same effect as magic blinker, but decided to go with the 1157 bulb route this time. Many ways of accomplishing the same thing, but my way was fairly simple, once i figured it out.

Went to local junk yard and snagged a couple 1157 bulb sockets out of a Mitsubishi. Didn't choose that one for a reason, its just the first one I came across where sockets were in decent condition. Once back home, i compared the socket bases and concluded with a little dremmel work, the 1157 Socket can fit right into the 650's lense. Required smoothing out 2 of the 4 'prongs' that go into the lense. Viola, goes in and twists nice and snug.

Snip the connector off old socket, wire up the green and black to the connector, and plug in to harness to get my turn signals back, then ran the red wire to a 12v connector (I tapped into unused cigarette lighter wire for now, will rerun to my distribution box later).

Then proceeded to reinstall the lense when something was interfering with it going back in, thought it was the extra wires, but turns out the socket needed a little more dremmel work to fit inside the mirror housing. Had to 'remove' one of the protrusions used to aid twist the socket out, once that was gone, popped right in.

Hardest part with all of this? Running that dang wire through the mirror into the dash. Not sure if the Exec's are designed differently than the regular due to the power mirror motor, but not much room to feed wire through. Little tip that took my 1 hour to figure out, run the wire 'above' the current turn signal wire, this should guide it better through to the center portion where you can snatch it up, and then feed it back down.

I'm gonna change the bulbs out (used the junk yard bulbs) so when I take it apart again tomorrow I'll snap some pictures of what needed to be modified on the socket I used. All in all, cost me about $5 for everything

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Cool!!! Did mines a long time ago, Had to Add Bigger wires for the Headlights the Original wires 3 of them Kind of Melted into 1 wire in one Spot, i think running the HID's did this, I separated the wires, and Added thicker gauge wires to Compensate..

Are you gonna run leds or Builbs

Elliott,

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on running LED's eventually, but for now, just plain-old bulbs

·
Registered
122 Posts
I did the same thing a few months ago. It makes the Scoot much easier to see in the dark and gives the cagers more reference points they can see to help them gauge your speed.
I have not had anyone pull out in front of me at night since I put them in. It used to happen about once every week or so.

Kim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts