Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just gone changing my oil and when I was done and turned the scooter on to run the new oil through, the scooter started very shaky and then after I gave it a little gas, it got itself to go up to 20 mpg. I thought it was going to continue to go faster so I turned it off. I let it sit for a half an hour or so and started it up again and it ran high again. I tried driving it to see if that would stop it but it didn't. I got back home and was unable to back up the scooter with it still running. I had to turn it off to back it into the garage. I wasn't sure how to look this problem up in other forums. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Is the throttle sticking and not returning to idle? You should be able to see the throttle cables at the throttle body with just the maintenance cover off. At idle the throttle cam should be against the screw stop (look at the Rostra cruise control thread for photos).

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I'm not sure I totally understand your problem. I think it is that the bike was hard to start and once you got it started and gave it some throttle the engine would not return to idle.

If that is the issue then as MJR said you might have a sticking throttle either at the throttle bodies or at the handlebar. I would check and make sure the linkage is working smoothly before I fired the bike back up again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easier said than done guys. I only know basics. Found the idle stop screw and instructions to adjust the throttle cable play in the service manual. Now to figure out what to do!!

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
It's all really pretty simple and easy to figure out just by looking at it. There are two cables that go from the handlebar to the throttle body. One pulls the throttles open and the other pulls them closed. In addition there are springs on the throttle body to pull them closed.

Check the cables at the handlebar end to make sure the attachment has not worked loose and the throttle turns freely on the handlebar. If that end is OK then go to the throttle body end.

It will be easier to see what is going on if you remove the front fairing and the front box. This will expose the linkage on the throttle body so you can get a good view of it. The two cables will come down and attach to a pulley on the side of the throttle body. One comes in from the bottom and just hooks to the pulley. The other comes in from the top and wraps around the pulley before it hooks to it. When you turn the handlebar throttle it will pull on the top cable and turn the pulley to open the throttle. As it does so the bottom cable will wrap around the pulley. When you let go of the handlebar throttle the spring on the throttle body should pull the bottom cable closing the throttle body back to the stop unwrapping the bottom cable and wrapping the top cable back.

If all that is not working unhook the cables from the throttle body and see if it will open and close smoothly when you turn the pulley with you hand. If not you may have a throttle body problem. If so then turn the handlebar throttle and see if it mores the cables freely. If not then you may have a binding cable that needs lubing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm with the others on this one, though do you recall OP if you may have inadvertently moved, adjusted or pinched something related while you were doing the oil change? It might have been something simple, that you may have forgotten, or not paid much attention too. Did you have the engine inspection cover off at the time of oil change for example, and maybe prodded or poked around the engine while around the vicinity... without realising it. You might have left a tool on "top" side of the engine, and without realising buttoned everything up and the tool is snagging the throttle linkage. I'd start up at the handlebar end first. Remove the two long screws (PK/Phillips screw driver needed) that secure the right hand switchgear assembly. One of the screws is longer than the other, so make a note of that when it comes time to reassemble. Allow the two halves of the switchgear assembly to fall away from the handlebar exposing the inner part of the twist grip, and the two throttle cables. Check tension simply by twisting the grip, see that the grip springs back/returns to the stop. If there is a smidgeon of play, I wouldn't be concerned about it. You could make adjustment to the cable nuts at the end of the metal sleeve bends just several inches out of the grip. If all is good "up top" follow on the advice from the postings above for checking the other ends of the two cables down at the throttle bodies. I wouldn't be adjusting anything much if you don't feel confident or capable. If you do, then adjust one thing at a time, and count how many turns and what direction so as to be able to readjust back to the starting point pre-adjustment if such adjustment doesn't seem to work out.

If you hadn't touched anything related to the throttle form the outset, and the scoot was idling and behaving normal prior to the oil change... I doubt you will need to adjust anything... related.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Start with looking at the throttle can and make sure when the throttle grip is released that the can on the left side of the throttle bodies is against the screw stop. If it is there might be another issue. If its not against the screw stop perhaps a cable has come loose (popped out of the can), is binding, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts