1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmmm....i'd be willing to give it a try if more people were to post success about it. This is the first i've ever heard of it.

Let us know if you try it out.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Hmm,
It does make sense. Any guinea pigs? I would order one today but my helmet is still on back order.
Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Covert said:
Well. like a ram-air helmet venting system, they are designed to work with the wind- these things are for sportbike riders mainly. Tucked in our extended-windscreen scooter bubbles, the strips will be out of the airstream and aerodynamically do absolutely nothing
According to the Rumble-Stip web site:

"Often windshields increase the need for Rumble-Strips® as they create unstable air flow around the top of the helmet."

Seems to me that it should be easy enough to cut out a piece of rubber yourself and glue it to the top of the helmet and save the $15.

Harry

·
Registered
793 Posts
rumble tonight

Egg-zactly Covert,

The diagram shows the rumble-free airflow with strips...

But... I move my head around.

---

Has this site become commercial, or what?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Got Rumble Strips!

OK. I received my 2 Rumble Strips in the mail today. I put one on my HJC CL-15 full face helmet. I am going to wait until tomorrow to try it out, because I want to let the 3M adhesive cure overnight. I've got to say that the Black Rumble Strip looks great on my Wine colored helmet. The helmet already has black lettering, black vents, etc. Heck, it looks so cool I'll probably leave it on even if it doesn't do anything else! But stay tuned - I'll have a ride report soon....

Paul

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Guinea Pig Report - Rumble Strip

A little pertinent background. I have been working for weeks on improving wind management on my Burgman 650. I have attained what I would consider 98% success by way of a Givi windscreen, a SAENG Winglet on top of the screen, and some hours spent finding the best tuning for the Winglet (angle & height positioning adjustments). Under most riding conditions, I have no helmet buffeting, and wind noise is so reduced that I can often hear the engine & transmission sounds at 65, even 75 mph. Wind gusts from the side are still annoying, but not nearly as disruptive as they were before. This is a better success rate than I had hoped for.

At this point, my Rumble Strip arrived. As I reported yesterday, it looked really great installed on my helmet. I rode at least 60 miles today with the Rumble Strip installed. My impressions were that it may have quieted wind noise around the helmet a bit more, but that it was INDUCING mild but consistent fore/aft helmet buffeting! After a while, the consistent buffeting gave me a headache. Came home, took an Advil to kill the headache, and removed the Rumble Strip. After dinner, I went out and rode about 25 miles. Helmet buffeting was gone. Wind noise was virtually the same with or without the Rumble Strip.

With a different windshield setup, different height rider, different helmet (there are a lot of variables that can affect wind management) maybe it would have a positive effect, but for me it was a step backwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts