Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard this noise for the past 5 months (since I got the Burgman). It's not too loud - guess that's relative - I hear it over the engine! I happened to think the other day that it could be the belt. Or something else rubbing against the belt.

Interesting note: Others cannot seem to hear it.

My main concern is if my mechanic can correctly (torque, etc) R&R the required parts. :( I have read a bunch of posts on this forum about folks changing out parts and not installing the new ones correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. Guess I should state that I only hear it when I open the throttle. After I am moving, I don't hear it. That's why I think the belt might be a little loose.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
How is the performance? A loose belt will make noise but you will also suffer poor acceleration and lost top speed. Since you have heard the noise since you have had it you might not notice that the performance is subpar.

The belt makes no noise when at idle? The belt is always moving so it should make some noise when idling if the belt is indeed the problem. It might be the clutch since it is only engaged once the RPMs come up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idling is fine. It only squeals when I accelerate. And, you're right, I wouldn't notice a loss in performance.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A loose belt will make noise but you will also suffer poor acceleration and lost top speed.
Really? Mine has been doing this for weeks now, but since I'm too broke to take it anywhere, I've just been riding it and taking off very slowly from a stop. It actually goes 70 without any trouble at all; it just takes a while to get there.

Now that I have something to check for, I think I'll drop by LeDude's site and see if I can do this myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please let me know how it works out, ChipDoc. Somebody, not me of course, has gotten my Burgman up to 85-90 on the freeway. That doesn't sound like much of a performance drop...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Idling is fine. It only squeals when I accelerate.
Somebody, not me of course, has gotten my Burgman up to 85-90 on the freeway. That doesn't sound like much of a performance drop...
Agreed, that sounds like it is performing up to spec. Only making noise while accelerating with no performance loss sounds like it is just normal belt noise or maybe the clutch.

Have you taken a look inside the CVT? If not do that and make sure everything measures to the specs. Check the belt width, the clutch bell diameter, the clutch shoe thickness and while in there check the rollers too.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Really? Mine has been doing this for weeks now, but since I'm too broke to take it anywhere, I've just been riding it and taking off very slowly from a stop. It actually goes 70 without any trouble at all; it just takes a while to get there.

Now that I have something to check for, I think I'll drop by LeDude's site and see if I can do this myself. Thanks!
Your problem could be the belt but it could be other things too. A slipping clutch for instance or a weak contrast spring could also cause this. The only way to know for sure is get in there and look and check the specs.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Idling is fine. It only squeals when I accelerate. And, you're right, I wouldn't notice a loss in performance.
This sounds like a pretty classic case of glazed clutch. It super common on the 400 and has nothing to do with the belt. It's One of the reasons most recommended that you blip the throttle to 4500 RPM on take off, This maneuver helps prevent the clutch from glazing.

Once glazed however, the best fix is to take off the bell housing, sand the clutch pads with some sand paper to remove the glazing, blowout the accumulated dust, clean the clutch air filter, and put it back together. My local shop charges $40 for this whole process. It's a very easy fix but needs a special tool.

The quick fix is too hold the brakes hard and give it gas for a minute or two. This heats up the clutch material and sloughs off some of the glaze. However, it's not recommended as it stresses the bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It might be belt slap, and it'll get louder~! I know. Open up the transmission and look for rubber dust. When was the last time you changed your belt~?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The quick fix is too hold the brakes hard and give it gas for a minute or two. This heats up the clutch material and sloughs off some of the glaze. However, it's not recommended as it stresses the bike.
It would be hard on the clutch too. Since I am fairly new to the Burgman has there been any reports of broken clutch shoes?{either the shoe itself or the metal arm it is attached to}. Some smaller scoot clutches have had failures with the clutches when doing things like this. The other thing is this may build up excessive heat on the bell causing it to warp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts