Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im on the hyw at 65 70 mph im running 6500 - 7000 rpm is this a safe rpm for all day cruising

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That's normal for stock variator rollers and you can do that and higher all day. For short stints I've had it up above 9500. If you want to lower cruising rpm (around 1000) and you're somewhat mechanical you can install Dr. Pulley sliders.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thats the correct rpm you have 6k for 60 7k for 70.
If tou do your own maintenance check that the pulleys dont have grooves in them from wear and tear. Usually after time the front pulleys at high speed will create frooves which means the belt cant ride up higher and youll need to rev it higher to get rhe same speed

Btw Fester.speaking of sliders
. How is the motoritec sliders holding up? The little edge taba are still intact? How are rhe stats?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was about to ask the same question now that I finally have over 1000 miles on my odometer yesterday.
Everything is stock on the bike except a taller windscreen and a 56L Givi.

The RPMs are 6500rpm at indicated 70mph, 7500rpm at indicated 80mph, 8500rpm at 90 mph. The B400 feels so smooth at 70-90 mph. I have no idea why those who have the B650 want a larger engine. I also have the B650 and have been able to cruise all day at indicated 80-90 mph in 90-100 degree weather with no problems.

The B400 engine doesn't feel stress at high RPMs. In comparison to the Suzuki M50(800cc), the Burgman 400 is a dream. The Suzuki M50(800cc) has shaft drive and counterbalance on the crank, but the engine is so rough that at 70mph, it feels like the bike is vibrating apart. The Honda Shadow 750 feels comfortable at an indicated 70-75 mph but not as comfortable as the B400. Pushing either the M50(800cc) or Shadow 750 cruisers past an indicated 80 mph feels like you're wrecking the engine. On the contrary, the B400 at 90 mph feels very smooth.

For this reason, I see no reason to increase the size of the B650 which now seems out of production.

I am surprised at the power and smoothness of the B400 in urban stop-and-go combined with ease of use on the highway and bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Out of curiosity, I was looking at the specifications of the older popular CB350 twins back in the '70s. Performance is very similar to the B400. The longevity would probably go to the B400 as it has a huge radiator and the CB350 was air-cooled. Updated, improved technology on B400, but the CB350 4 cylinder was advance for that time. Eventually, the CB350 twin was more cost-effective and later became the CB360 twin which was also very smooth with usable power.

Burgman 400 also has very practical usable power and doesn't have the excess weight as the Burgman 650 which weighed more than my BMW R1200R.

In terms of everyday commuting and some interstate touring, the B400 feels very comfortable. I don't know if the B400 can handle WOT when I challenged myself to ride the Helix 250 and Rebel 250 at WOT in 100+ degree weather to travel interstate packed with gear. IMHO: Riding my former Goldwing F6B at 80-90+mph all day was never a challenge and felt more like driving a car -but that type of speed can get me in trouble.

It will be an interesting experience of how the B400 can hold out during interstate touring. MicBergsma, Florida to Texas - 18 hours - 1,154 straight miles is more than I would want to push myself.

MicBergsma was definitely going faster than 64.1 mph to complete his journey.

The Burgman 400 seems like a very solid bike, more useful and practical than many other motorcycles with larger displacements.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I am surprised at the power and smoothness of the B400 in urban stop-and-go combined with ease of use on the highway and bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Yes, I think its very clever the way the torque curve/power curve feed into each other for cvt use.

The short throw engine helps a lot, it’s built for high revs.

I think grooving on the cvt plates is more to do with constant, prolonged speed rather than high speed. I’ve seen town commuter bikes with a ridge in the 30/50 mph region.

I try to let off the throttle now and again and vary my speed but around here its rare to be able to maintain a constant speed for very long anyway.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The B400 has an "oversquare" engine in that its stroke is shorter than its bore is wide, so it can rev all day. The only issues I experienced with extended high speed riding were excess oil consumption and lousy fuel economy. So check your oil level at every fuel stop, which will come more often than they would otherwise. Other than that, you're good.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My mighty Honda Rebel, with its brutal twin cylinder square bore power (233.9 cc's worth), can run WAOT all day long. Done done it. Kind of fun. 17 or 18 horsepower, try holding that back!

I tried to put together something like 10 stock Rebels and have a Rebel race on a rural stretch of interstate. Nobody would know we were racing. They'd just wonder why these 10 idiots are all crouched down but only doing 72 mph and holding up traffic.

But I have rode several tankfulls at WAOT. It was fun because on the interstate the Rebel is very wind direction sensitive. There is entertainment value to getting a run on a car's draft (not dangerously close though), and trying to slingshot by on the momentum. If I could only carry some stuff on the Rebel, I'd ride it more. When I'm totally setup on the Burgman, I'll probably switch back to the Rebel and make it a bit more travel friendly.

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
On the Vetter MPG challange was a Rebel 250cc wrapped in a Dustbin fairing. Top speed was about 82 MPH and it gave about 92 [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
My cruising speeds are about this:
70mph 5000rpm
80mph 5500rpm
90mph 6000rpm
100mph 6500rpm

No matter how hard I push it, i cant get my bike higher than 6500rpms

Now granted this is after I upgraded with 20g sliders not roller weights. Malossi variator. Kevlar belt. Malossi clutch and bell and contra spring. Leo Vince exhaust.

I have done many cross state trips. I moto camp regularly with my burgy. Next summer I am planning for ocean to ocean trip.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My cruising speeds are about this:
70mph 5000rpm
80mph 5500rpm
90mph 6000rpm
100mph 6500rpm

No matter how hard I push it, i cant get my bike higher than 6500rpms

Now granted this is after I upgraded with 20g sliders not roller weights. Malossi variator. Kevlar belt. Malossi clutch and bell and contra spring. Leo Vince exhaust.

I have done many cross state trips. I moto camp regularly with my burgy. Next summer I am planning for ocean to ocean trip.
That's very low RPMs and good speed with those modifications.

I know stock rollers are 19g. Some use Dr. Pulley sliders at 19g, some go as low at 18g.
First time I've seen someone saying going up to 20g.
What is the advantage of going up to 20g on the sliders?

Going the route of the Malossi variator. Kevlar belt. Malossi clutch and bell and contra spring. Leo Vince exhaust may have some differences in performance. I'm not sure how this affects performance RPMs limited to 6500rpm.

With all those modifications, the cost goes up. I don't know if the 20g sliders would limit your RPM to 6500, but if you can do this at 100mph, that is not bad. As I also have the Burgman 650, the RPMs on the Burgman 650 are slightly lower than the RPMs you're getting on your B400.

At 100mph on the B400, that is pushing a lot of wind. Even my stock Burgman 650 at 100mph feels like it's pushing a lot of wind and slower to accelerate to 110+mph indicated speed. I know on the Burgman 400 forum, there are some people who have pushed their Burgman 400 to 110 mph.

As I just reached 1000 miles on my odometer a few days ago, I brought my B400 to redline and the speedometer reading 90mph at 8,500 RPMs. I felt I still had extra throttle left but didn't want to push it past redline.

Speedometer to RPMs seems very linear on my stock B400 so that would put me at 9500 RPMs for 100 mph and 10,500 RPMs at 110 mph. Since I never pushed my B400 this hard, I don't know what it is capable of. In some posts, they say there is a "speed limiter" on the B400?? -I can't confirm this as I have not pushed my B400 this hard.

Is it safe pushing the B400 past redline? Whatever we are discussing on this Burgman 400 would definitely have the cruiser bikes jealous😎 The Suzuki M50(800cc) could never sustain 70+ mph cruising speed in comfort. The Harley Davidson dealership said don't cruise the Sportster 883 at 80mph. When I had my older Shadow 1100s, cruising speed at 70-75mph was not comfortable. Shadow 750 feels comfortable cruising at 70-75 mph, but even going 80 mph on a Shadow 750, Shadow 1100, or M50(800cc) is very uncomfortable as the engine vibration to the handlebars and seat does not inspire confidence.

80+ mph on the Burgman 400 is comfortable and smooth. I'm not sure the B400 can sustain this speed for interstate cruising. I thought the same of my Burgman 650, but I was told by the B650 forum that 80 mph is not a problem. So in keeping up with traffic on the interstate, I have sustained speeds between 80-100 mph without any problems.

If the B400 can sustain speeds of 75-90 mph all day, that would be a miracle for the metric cruisers and Harley 883/1200.

At WOT on my old Honda Rebel, I could cruise all day at 70-75mph except when climbing up inclines from L.A. to Vegas when I would slow down at WOT to 40-50 mph before downshifting, not to overload engine. This was with soft saddle luggage on both sides of the bike and a duffle bag strapped to the sissy bar. I'm sure the new Rebel 300 and certainly the new Rebel 500 can do equally as well or better than the air-cooled Rebel 250.

In other words, some of these metric bikes/scooters are much more capable than we give them credit.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thats the correct rpm you have 6k for 60 7k for 70.
If tou do your own maintenance check that the pulleys dont have grooves in them from wear and tear. Usually after time the front pulleys at high speed will create frooves which means the belt cant ride up higher and youll need to rev it higher to get rhe same speed

Btw Fester.speaking of sliders
. How is the motoritec sliders holding up? The little edge taba are still intact? How are rhe stats?
I was going to change out my coolant for the first time this year and while doing that check the variator, clutch and change the gear oil while I'm in there. It just got so hot here in Vegas and I got lazy so probably September. So far no problems.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You're not lazy youre just tired ftom lugging around tons of stuff under the seat 😂😅

1 - 12 of 12 Posts