Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2009 Burman 400 I looked at had a redline of 8500 RPM. My 2012 has a redline of 9000 RPM. What was the reason for the change?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My 2010 as the higher rev limit as well, no idea why though.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
HI Timbo, if you look closely it's actually 8900rpm where the redline starts. Not that it matters much. I don't know either why this is. The earlier 2007 and I think 2008 399cc engine was also 8500rpm redlined to start with. But then suddenly from around 2009 it was upped to the higher level. Maybe it's because the engine has proven so reliable and has been found to be unburstable. I've not yet heard of anyone breaking one with the DOHC engine from over revving it. In fact it seems to be one of the most robust engines in any bike that I've come across. I now know of several well abused Burgmans with high mileages on the clock and none of them has any trouble maintaining highly illegal speeds with the throttle wide open everyday.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The pre-'07 models have no "redline" on the tach, nor rev-limiter that I am aware of:

Maximum engine speed is limited by the CVT while accelerating, and by engine power/overall drive ratio at top speed. I have had it up to 9300 rpm with the stock rollers, 8800 is the max with the 18g sliders and my other variator mods.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My 2011 mimics cliffyk's to a tee. Smooth as silk beyond redline, but I don't think it will hit it after I installed the 18G DPS (on level ground). Still has all its top speed and maybe a little more, but I only ventured there while doing initial testing after changing out the weights.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Based on my experience on my now 22,000 mile leftover 2011----I see redline on tach at 9,000 rpm. Leaving everything stock/OEM as I do-----probably only chance of over-rev is downhill/tailwind, and worn out front pulley and belt, then in US where can you hold speeds like this very long??

This type drive system is easy on engines as difficult to lug or over speed......and most if not all Japanese engines can stand endless wide open running----My highest mileage Helix was traded at 50,000(I bought it new), all miles mine in just over a year) at last sighting bike was still running in WI. In my hands run wide open maybe 80% of time, no engine trouble, reg gas, WalMart 10-40 Oil

My conclusion: just ride it, don't worry.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
"in US where can you hold speeds like this very long??"
Interstate 40 WB east of Kingman, nice straight downgrade, hit 120 on my Concours :) Out west in general, long straight roads, can see for miles....

I would think the "computer" wouldn't let the engine grenade itself?

Ride safe y'all

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would be very surprised if they did not have a rev limiter even if just to
save the engine if the belt let go.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
:) no, the downgrade helped though. And it had a lot of throttle left!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
(it was a first gen Conk)

·
Registered
338 Posts
My point on speed in US---yes there are straight places----but cops are around---and like to collect money. Going fast in US can get hairy as the other idiots aren't used to speed around them and no lane discipline----like the idiots in the south with their dually pickups or SUV's hold the left lane.....they ride their Harleys the same way.

My take on US riders, given the chance to ride on the un-restricted parts of the Autobahn.....they would fill their pants. Cruiser total joke---think chaps flapping.-----I rode over 20 years in Germany----my Concours really not fast enough @120mph for fast lane work....surely my R80RT was not either----my BMW 328 coupe in US trim---slowpoke as tire restricted to 130mph---looking back to the 50's my Heinrich equipped R51/3, 85-90 flat, downhill tailwind maybe 100mph or 160kph until valve train made noise. BUT in those days only some Porsches/big engine Opals/BMW V-8 sedans were faster----American cars joke---had MP's in '57 chev chase me for about 50 miles---they just couldn't catch me----later at rest stop I talked to them-- asked them why they didn't just pass me and get me to pull over---they laughed as their MP Chev was boiling over and big puddle of oil/water underneath.
Our stupid military (Army) tried to make the GI's go slow on Autobahn----setting you up to get killed. I was in AF, we pretty much didn't pay attention to their stupid rules.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
According to some when they changed to red line they also changed the gear ratio
so maybe the higher red line is to allow for that though the rev limiter is still set
to 9300, it would make sense as my 2010 only reaches about 28 mph at 4000 revs,
on standard rollers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The reason they went to the 9,000 rpm redline is because of the change to the valve train. It went from tappets with screw adjustment in 06 to shim and bucket in 07, a much more stabile platform. It took them a few years to catch up on changing the tachometer.

When fairly new but well broken in, my 2005 would well exceed 9000 rpms and I mean deep without hitting a rev limiter. So I have no idea if there is a rev limiter on the 2005 models, my friends that also have the 05's have not hit the limiter either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So is it safe to say I can run at a constant 8000-8500 rpms to cross over Florida from coast to coast ? That's fast enough for me just wondering if ill kill it. I use a semi blend motorcycle synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Top piston ring change...

Just some more info on the rev limit thing. I haven't checked this out myself yet, but I was reading on a Burgman forum (can't remember which one) that one of the guys was digging around on this subject and discovered that in addition to the possibility of some altered final drive ratio on 2010 onwards models, Suzuki also changed the top compressoin ring to a thicker stronger item. This allows higher revs without compromising the normally vulnerable top ring when very high revs are used over a sustained period. It not only seals better but disappates heat better and helps prevent piston flutter at speed. The guy who discovered this noted it from the engine spec sheets when ordering parts for his Burgman. So maybe that's why it's safe to run to 8,900rpm before the redline on the 2010 onwards.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would not be surprised as my 2010 as always revved higher for a given speed
than many post, it shows 6000 rpm at a indicated 70 mph it is supposed to
be about 10% so that would give 5400 rpm if it had the old final drive ratio,
that's on 19g sliders with the org rollers it's doing about 7000 rpm at 70 indicated

1 - 20 of 23 Posts