Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you guys tell me about a Royal Enfield? I know they are an English Brand that are normally produced in India. That's about it. (Thank you internet).

Long story short a friend of a friend of a friend is trying to unload one. I hope to go take a look at it after Thanksgiving. It's an 07 Bullet with about 18K on it. He's asking under 2K for it, which assuming the condition is good would be a steal.

I'm also a bit concerned because its got a thumper for an engine. Again that strikes me as a little odd for that late of a model. I also worry about since I have no mechanical skill.I also don't know if the bike was laid down or not.

Anyone know anything about them?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Suzuki has made a 650 thumper since 1986, originally called the Savage it has become the Boulevard S40 (650 cc = 40 in³). It only develops 31 HP, so despite its only weighing 350 lbs it is still a real dog for a 650.

I saw a Royal Enfield 500 in Daytona a couple years ago and it was very pretty, however I also found that it's a 500 cc engine only puts out 27.5 HP--this in a 400 lb package. So don't expect much in the way of performance, Burgman 400s will out run it easily. They claim 85 mpg so at least it is a fuel efficient engine.

If the price was right ($2k or so for a nice, clean one) I might be tempted, however I think it's one of those things that wanting one may be better than having one...

Mr. Spock said:
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

Spock to Stonn in Amok Time - 1967'

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got some additional info. I don't think I'll be buying if after all. It's a 2001, not a later model. It's not run in 3 years and several mice made a nest out of the electrical system. I understand he's planning on parting it out now.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Houndguy said:
Well got some additional info. I don't think I'll be buying if after all. It's a 2001, not a later model. It's not run in 3 years and several mice made a nest out of the electrical system. I understand he's planning on parting it out now.

Parting it out is probably the best plan, it is worth nothing as it is...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
They're good bikes if you're looking for a serious machine. Top end about 80 mph, gets 85 mpg. Carries all your gear and doesn't balk at a load.
Not much of a toy, you understand. It won't spank the world as a street racer. But if you're the type to go for real world use rather than make believe heroics, the big singles can be good sturdy work horses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts