Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get my wheel bearings in I'm going to ride from Joplin, MO to Tucumcari, NM. It is 640 miles one way if I leave Friday at noon and get home on Monday at noon it should be a really nice ride. Anyone else ever ridden Route 66?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have not ridden it but I used to drive it all the time before they closed it down and added interstates. I must have driven to and from California 5 or 6 times during the '60s. I had a VW Beetle with a hard sun roof that you cranked open and closed. Very few had the hard sun roof. Most had soft ones. Those were fun times.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My family moved to California from Kansas in 1960 for my father to work in the oil fields. When we returned to Springfield, Missouri in 1962 we took Route 66 all the way (no interstates yet). Us kids loved it. My mother told me that she enjoyed the trip on 66 as well. Not on a motorcycle but enjoyed it never the less.

Since then, I have ridden all of the parts of it that remains (and I could find) from Springfield, Mo west on my bike once. Well worth the experience. I don't know about doing it in one weekend, I would think that this is something to take your time doing to get the feel for it.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
806 Posts
There is a tour group that makes the ride by motorcycles every year from Chicago IL where it starts to the Santa Monica pier in California where it ends. I don't know if they allow maxi scooters but you could find out. Should be much more comfortable then doing it on a Harley Sportster. If you find out please let us know the costs ETC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have driven 66 from Miami, OK to Tucumcari, NM in a cage taken it slow and stopped at all the sites. There are only a couple this time that I would spend anytime stopping to look at. The sidewalk highway part is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Too busy planning for my Georgia to Minnesota and back run the 1st of August.
Sounds like fun though.
Ride Safe and Have Fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a good ride. Did not make the full track. Joplin to Elk City, the bike did good. Found a couple previous owner items I need to fix. Bike averaged 61 mpg round trip right at seven hundred miles. I'll give highlights this evening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts