Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Ron in Mesa Arizona

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  tj33 
#1 ·
I have owned my Burgman 650 Since March 20th. I traded up from a Honda Reflex which I rode for a year and a half. I commute 60 miles round trip to work and back each day on my scoot. What a great machine.

#5 ·
Potential Burgman owner in SW Phoenix with Question

Ok. I just saw a new blue 650 Burgman at MetroMotorsports on Dysart Rd, and i sorta fell in love. I've not ridden much, but would love to commute on a bike. I can't believe i'm looking at a "scooter," but i'll admit. it looks cool. The dealer (of course) wouldn't let me test drive it.

Questions: I'm 6' 2" - is it comfy for short and long (weekend) rides?

Does it have enought "get up and go" in some of the highway traffice we have? For example, if you are going 65 on the 101, and need to punch it to go 80 to keep from having a truck demolish you, does it do it? It's tough to believe that it will.....I can't believe the dealer, but he said it would.

This auto AND manual shifting stuff - does it really work? Can you be in auto and going 70, shift it to manual and drop it a gear to pass someone?

Any and all help is needed. Now (finally) that the cool weather has hit, the bug has hit. It's either this or yardwork, so PLEASE help me!

Wife is supportive, but my helmet and phx jacket are collecting dust. I've started to compare it to the Silverwing, but only just begun. What's the topspeed? Does it stay cool in 115 degree weather (does anything?)?

I really don't care about the image much, but if I'm going to spend 7k on a bike, I want to know it's worth it. Thanks to anyone who replies.

OH, and if I end up buying it, Cedar Canyon/Sedona would be a great drive i think.

Flint

#6 ·
Well as to is it comfy, I would say it's very good (but then again I am in the 5'9" range ). Now if you were only going 65 on the 101 and needed to crank up to true Arizona freeway speed (80-85mph) you have plenty of power. Just a slight twist and you will be at 85 in 3 seconds. The burgman will go all day long at 80mph and you will still have lots of power and speed left over. I have ridden my Burgman (650) all summer and it never overheated ran perfect. Now as to going from auto to manual to pass someone there will be no need. The burgman will respond in auto just fine when you screw on the gas. You can always use the power button for a little more boost. I have to say I have never found a need to use the manual slection other than to see if it works, I stay in auto all the time. I ride my Burgman every day to work and on weekends for fun. I have had goldwings before I got the Burgman and the Burgman is more fun. So anytime you want to go for a ride with your new Burgman let me know ..I'm up for it.

#8 ·
Buy the Burgman!!!!

The Burgman has plenty of power. I rode mine up to Payson from Casa Grande last Friday. I rode it at an indicated 100mph for alot of the way. Up to 90mph it is very smooth and easy. 100 takes more concentration. The top indicated speed is 110mph. I also commute on mine from CG up to Chandler (80- 100 miles a day).
I'm 6'0, 210lbs. The stock windscreen is too small. I put the taller Givi screen on. It is better but I still get more wind blast than I would prefer. It is still noisy with earplugs. Don't let the scooter thing get to you. Harley riders won't wave to you but other than that I get alot of people that come up to the bike and ask about it. They all think it is cool. Its not intimidating and neither am I.
There are a bunch of us in AZ with the BK. One of these days we will organize a get together. Maybe a Suzuki 650 club. We could include the SV and the new V-strom. 2 other bikes I wish I could own!! :D

#9 ·
azflexer,

The Manual range controls work best below 70mph and the Power button has appeared to be best for startouts or passing at low speed.
The owners manual won't go into much about how to ride, just where the controls are. All of us have had to learn by riding. You'll be able to switch to any mode while moving but you'll just have to learn the comfort factors for yourself.

When I recently rode through the Salt River Canyon, the Manual ranges worked best for passing lines of slower cars while climbing steep grades at 55-65 mph. Plus, the Burgmans computer won't allow a Manual range change if that would scream the engine into high Rev's.
On mountain switchbacks I switched to Manual and kept the RPM's below 5,800 yet above 4,000 - It's easy. Using Manual ranging gives you a greater degree of instantaneous engine torque availability via the throttle grip.

The Burgman 650 has dynamic (retarder) braking when the throttle is released. With one rider it has greater force than with two.
The Silverwing may have ABS brakes but the clever Suzuki designers gave us radial tires instead. No one on this board has claimed to have stability problems or out of control collisions with their Burgman 650 due to the design of its brakes.
After 20+ years of riding conventional motorcycles, I've had relearn how to trust the Burgmans cornering because its always gone where I've pointed it and at times that feels strange, like I don't have to recorrect its tragectory like I used to with "a motorcycle".

#12 ·
Reggie,
Congratulations, you just revived a four year old post. I no longer live in Arizona. I have been living in Idaho for the last 2 years. Just hit 17,000 miles on the Burgman this morning. I don't post anymore but still love riding the Scooter just as much as ever. I will post again in August of 2011. Take care everyone :D

#16 ·
I live in NW Phoenix (Sun Cities, I am an old coot). Rode for years all kinds of bikes, dirt and highway.. I want a Burg 650. Tired of the "Big Iron" hooey.

I was reading some financial reports of the latest stock market crash and some were saying that gasoline could hit $10 a gallon in the near future (more world demand than supply).

Electric Golf carts are dangerous (the batteries don't like the heat) and very expensive.

I have a Yamaha street legal 300 cc gas cart,(gets around 80mpg), but limited by law to streets at 35 or less... The cart is good for trips to the
markets and as a tractor for cleaning the gravel yard.

This forum convinced me that the Burg scoot is best on the market...

I miss cruising the desert (The back way to Gila Bend is a nice ride..).

Can anyone recommend a good dealer in the area?????

Tj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.