Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is my 2012 650 Executive more difficult to push around with the engine off than my other NON-automatic bikes?
Since the 650 has a multiplate clutch, is the driveline not totally disengaged from the rear wheel when off? :confused:
Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
No, part of the driveline is still in play, but that has been reduced by 35% in the revamped 2013 model and initial reports from early adopters seem to witness both an improvement in man hauling and overall fuel efficiency (mpg).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I think the improved fuel economy has more to with a reprogramming to keep the revs down, especially at town speeds.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would not disagree with your thoughts at all, in this regard, Erik.;)

I was merely answering with regards to rolling resistance and the reduction of that will improve fuel consumption in the new model. I was not suggesting it was solely responsible for the total improvement, but you are quite correct to point that other factors like reprogramming, have an influence too.:cool:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I read on this or another forum that it pushes much easier if you push the manual button. I'll find out when I get home in a couple of days and take my new to me 650 off the back of my truck.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I read on this or another forum that it pushes much easier if you push the manual button. I'll find out when I get home in a couple of days and take my new to me 650 off the back of my truck.
It does if the bike is running like when you on it and say backing up. It does this because shifting into Power or Manual mode shifts the CVT in its lowest ratio when its running which makes the clutch spin slower. Since the clutch is centrifugal this means less resistance.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Selecting manual before shutting the engine off makes the scooter easier to push.

I reverse into my garage, and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice tip Erik, i also reverse into my garage, so i will try that next time.

But i do not find the 650 that hard to push.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. It isn't really hard to push around but it was just surprising compared to other bikes I've had.
So what is it exactly that is being rotated as the bike is pushed? Obviously all the spur gears in the swingarm but I get a bit confused about the clutch/CVT area.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The parts that are turning are as you mentioned the gears in the final drive. The gears in the intermediate reduction transmission are also turning. Don't confuse this transmission with the CVT. The output shaft for the clutch is also turning. Most of the resistance you feel is the drag caused by the oil that is between the plates of the clutch.

What Suzuki did in 2013 to reduce the resistance was to set the clutch up so that the plates are further apart when it is not engaged. This reduced the oil drag.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The parts that are not being turned by the rear wheel are the input side of the clutch, the CVT and the engine. As you may have surmised, there is no transmission neutral position mentioned here. That is because there is none.

The engine, CVT and input side of the clutch are hard geared together. The output side of the clutch, the intermediate gear reduction transmission and final drive are hard geared together. The only thing that allows any difference in the speed of these components is the clutch.

Pushing the bike around is somewhat like pushing a manual shift bike around with the transmission in gear but the clutch lever pulled in. On many bikes you will notice that this is harder than pushing the bike around with the transmission in neutral. The reason that is so is the same as the reason the 650 is harder to push around. Drag in the clutch.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
As a matter of interest I have been using my manual shift for the last 300 miles, most of those miles have been stop start and up and down hills, in a built up area. By doing so it has improved my average fuel consumption by 8.2 MPG and resulted in a much smother ride in slow moving traffic and it does seem easier to push around.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if anyone has ever tried a little thinner oil in the tranny to reduce the plate friction.
Maybe a totally bad idea.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever tried a little thinner oil in the tranny to reduce the plate friction.
Maybe a totally bad idea.
It shares the oil with the engine.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Like MJR said, the clutch shares oil with the engine not the transmission. Thinner oil in the transmission would have no impact on the drag in the clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It works, I tried it in Manual Mode and it works. I to was having a little more effort to move the Burg out of its Man Cave. However if you are parking on a hill leave it in Auto Mode, plus your EM brake on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts