·
Registered
765 Posts
Uncle Fester has.

Do an advance search for tech+pulley by Uncle Fester

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
They have tabs to prevent them from "flipping" which apparently happens in rare instances. They are similar to DP sliders but I don't know that anyone has done a direct comparison to see if there's any size (gearing) difference. They're not as common as the DP but I don't recall reading any complaints about them.

Reactions: tahoeking

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have a nice new box of them at home. have not had a chance to use mine as the engine is kaput. in due time I will.

Some have said a slider of theirs have flipped, not sure of that. The Tech pulley/flying rollor brand slider have an extra lip on top to hold it in place. I would buy that or Dr P, it wouldnt matter. Better and cheaper than oem rollors.

Belt, oem is best.

hows the recouping going?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I used the 19 grams and have not had any problems in about 6500 miles. My 400 is pretty quick off the line but will not go over 85 mph which is not an issue for me. The tach also will not go in the red as it does with the stock rollers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding rollers for a 07 an400.... has anyone experienced these I found on eBay??

hello guys, could anyone tell me what maximum speed with pulley rollers 16g, on an 400?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
hello guys, could anyone tell me what maximum speed with pulley rollers 16g, on an 400?
16 gm rollers (or sliders) won't reduce your top speed. That would only happen if they didn't go fully out on the ramps. If I recall, when I had 16 gm rollers the rpm matched stock at around 55 mph. Below that the rpm was higher than stock rollers, similar to around 18 gm sliders. (That's with the stock contra spring - change that and there results will differ.)

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
68 Posts
I installed these along with a new Malossi belt in my 2008 400 at 17,500 miles. I like them. Much smoother around town. I dropped highway cruising rpms by about 1k as well. Not sure if they had any effect on my top speed, but at 1,000 miles on them, I'm glad I did it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a nice new box of them at home. have not had a chance to use mine as the engine is kaput. in due time I will.

Some have said a slider of theirs have flipped, not sure of that. The Tech pulley/flying rollor brand slider have an extra lip on top to hold it in place. I would buy that or Dr P, it wouldnt matter. Better and cheaper than oem rollors.

Belt, oem is best.

hows the recouping going?
I went ahead and ordered a set. I guess I'll find out this spring. Recovery??? Well.... going slow but good. Old man just don't heal as fast as I use to.... HA!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the 19 grams and have not had any problems in about 6500 miles. My 400 is pretty quick off the line but will not go over 85 mph which is not an issue for me. The tach also will not go in the red as it does with the stock rollers.
Better highway speed with lower RPM is what I'm after. Not so worried about the hole shot. As is, 70MPH has the tach just past 7,000.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Better highway speed with lower RPM is what I'm after. Not so worried about the hole shot. As is, 70MPH has the tach just past 7,000.
I’m with you. My 07 400‘s tach seems to match my speed according to my GPS. 7k=70mph, 7.5k=75, etc. Most of my riding is city but I want to be able to enjoy some interstate riding without my engine screaming in my ears.

Finding a recommendation for the best slider weights is similar to searching for opinions on which oil is best. 😉

One question I can’t get past is, if sliders are better, why do manufacturers use rollers?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I’m with you. My 07 400‘s tach seems to match my speed according to my GPS. 7k=70mph, 7.5k=75, etc. Most of my riding is city but I want to be able to enjoy some interstate riding without my engine screaming in my ears.

Finding a recommendation for the best slider weights is similar to searching for opinions on which oil is best. 😉

One question I can’t get past is, if sliders are better, why do manufacturers use rollers?
I would say slider weight selection is more of a subjective choice than oil. There can theoretically be a "best" oil, it's just that there is virtually no objective way for most people to evaluate it, and therefore it becomes an argument of opinions.

Every person is different when it comes to gearing selection, and every choice has trade-offs. For me, I think the stock rollers get it roughly backwards...eg low rpm accelerating at low speeds and high rpm at highway speeds. But that may be perfect for some others' tastes. I like the higher rpm on take-off and more relaxed rpm at cruising that sliders offer. As to why manufacturers don't use sliders...probably a complicated answer with many reasons, but maybe partially "because we've always done it that way and it has worked well", or maybe that gearing profile is exactly what they're after because they think the majority of buyers want it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm looking for slides or rollers myself, and now I'm confused as ever. 😂
This post is about as simple as I can explain rollers vs sliders. And as G-Dub mentioned after that, when you're in there make sure the edges of the variator ramp plate are not sharp.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My 2 cents...
I have used DP 19g sliders from 6500 miles to 48000 miles roughly.
Changed to DP 20g. At first I liked them. See my other thread.
Later, I found that they are great on the slab. But around town, I seemed to get worse gas mileage. As if the engine was lugging, it "seemed" to take more throttle to get around.
So I replaced the 19g.

I might sell the 20g ones. Only a few hundred miles on them. Yes they have small tabs.

Have never had the 19g ones "flip" on me, except once when was sloppy installing them.

Reactions: JRoss and Dave_J

·
Registered
765 Posts
Noticing nearly identical results on Piglet mike. The longer I run the 19g sliders, the more I like them.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yes... with 42,000 miles so far, the DP 19g show very little wear :)

I clean out the variator at intervals of 3,000 to 4,000 miles, shoot a little dry lube on them too. Onward onward....

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
/\ I meant to say, I shoot some Dry Lube on the clean sliders before assembling.

Also, I think the TOP SPEED doesn't matter, as far as slider weights are concerned, the 19g and 20g seem to be the same shape, the heavier ones move to Full Open sooner. But the variator can open only so far.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
On another forum I read that a disadvantage of sliders is they wear the variator ramps because they're harder than stock rollers, which are designed to wear away instead of the variator. Have you noticed any unusual wear to the variator using sliders? I would think something would show up in 40K miles. The person posting was not a fan of sliders, so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts